Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Deadly Strike / Critical strike

Discussion in 'Classic' started by EagleEntek, Aug 23, 2008. | Replies: 9 | Views: 10940

1. EagleEntek

EagleEntek IncGamers Member

Deadly Strike / Critical strike

Which is better? What difference do they make?

If a weapon has 75 damage, and deadly strike of 50%, what does that mean will happen ?

If a weapon has 75 damage, and critical strike of 50%, what does that mean will happen?

If a low dmg weapon has deadly strike, for example the grim reaper unique scythe has 100% deadly strike, does this mean it will do more or less dmg than a rare with higher damage?
  2. deichsela

deichsela IncGamers Member

The direct and the useful:

1. Deadly Strike ability is better than Critical Strike ability, but CS is a kind of synergy to Deadly Strike.
    2. 50% chance to deal double the final damage.
    3. 50% chance to deal double the physical damage.
    4. Unique normal Grim Reaper War Scythe 33-43 dmg. Rare exceptional Grim Scythe 90-230 (max). The Grim Reaper has almost no damage compared to the rare. The only instance I can possibly see it useful is on a Holy Shock Zealot.

I should spend some time and get familiar with the workings of the wiki.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  3. Mirrislegend

Mirrislegend IncGamers Member

Re: Deadly Strike / Critical strike

Given that DS doubles elemental damage, doesn't that sorta automatically make it a top candidate for weapon of choice for elemental-aura melee paladins? Doubling fully synergized and maxed out holy shock damage must be delicious.
  4. HegemonKhan

HegemonKhan IncGamers Member

wow.... so deadly strike doubles all-total damage at the end of calculations, so that weak base phys damage unique pole arm (grim repaer?) would do huge damage on any elem damage build....like the elem holy auras or vengence or berserk or enchant or sanctuary, etc?

wow..... new weapon for those builds!!!!

i need to find those/that unique(s) that gives deadly strike!!!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    after reading arreat summit quote again i noticed this:

All melee damage is doubled, whether its physical, magic or elemental (such as skills Berserk or Vengeance

does deadly strike work, or work in the same way, for ranged (weapons) damage too?

or does deadly strike ONLY work for melee (weapons) damage? if yes, than why do two ranged weapons (rogue bow and leadcrow xbow have deadly strike on them if it doesn't work for ranged?)

does the mentioned melee from areat summit mean only melee (swords, axes, etc) or does it mean both melee (swords, axes, etc AND bows, xbows, throwing) ?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    about critical strike and deadly strike:

i read from other sources that it works differently:

critical strike and deadly strike are INdependant of each other and INcompatible.

e.i.,

game checks to see if critical strike succeeds at ITS % chance. if yes, than no deadly strike is checked for. if no, than deadly strike is checked for at ITS % chance. critical strike's and deadly strike's % chances do NOT combine together.

i.g.,

if critical strike is 70%, than it's chance is 70%. if it fails, than deadly strike is checked for. if deadly strike is 30%, than it's chance is 30%. so u got 70% chance THAN 30% chance. that's a big difference from "100%" chance. deadly strike and critical strike want nothing to do with the other.

OR, is this incorrect and arreat summit is correct??
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  5. Akse

Akse Banned

Deadly strike is good mod for characters that doesnt get critical strike from any skills. In classic there aren't so many items that provide the deadly strike tho..
  6. Lorg

Lorg IncGamers Member

decheisla already calculated you the chance 4 double dmg in this case. Ok he used 68 % as crit but close enough ;)

=CS + (DS/100)*(100-CS)
    =68% + (33/100)*32%
    =68% + 10.56%
    =78.56%

7. deichsela

deichsela IncGamers Member

Strike! Strike! Strike!

It's the Arreat Summit's example. ^^
    Works on melee, ranged, thrown.
    Reread the third quote I posted earlier. It goes:
    If CS activates, DS isn't calculated.
    If CS fails, DS is calculated [formula % = CS + (DS/100)*(100-CS)].

8. HegemonKhan

HegemonKhan IncGamers Member

my bad,

after my brain meltdown from trying to understand the math formulas on mlvl,qlvl,ilvl,alvl for the kings mod, i decided it be best if i just ignored math and formulas for now on.

so, i wasn't paying attention to them and am sorry to repeat what your math formulas already said.

i apologize, you already had it written right, sorry for re-stating what u already had and sounding like u didn't have it posted correctly, sorry!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    raishi,

in CLASSIC, i believe there is NO way for a poison dagger necro to get deadly strike, sadly.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  9. raishi

raishi IncGamers Member

poison dagger necs and ds...that is sick damage over a short time...
  10. NoisemakerArrow

NoisemakerArrow IncGamers Member

Only physical damage is doubled by DS, regardless of what Arreat Summit says.