Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Dead at 65...

Discussion in 'Hardcore Graveyard' started by LivingDeadMan, Nov 7, 2008. | Replies: 4 | Views: 10590

1. LivingDeadMan

LivingDeadMan IncGamers Member

Dead at 65...

No not me, my character.
    This was my fourth attempt at a hardcore skellymancer. I've played this game since it first came out eons ago, but never yet have i entered hell.

There i was happily slaughtering the occupants of the nightmare chaos sanctuary..when bam! dead. Love to know what the hell happened as i was well behind my,addmittedly thinning, minions.

Well,level 65 is the furthest i've ever been......but it could and should have been so much better. Bitterly disappointed. The only comforting thing is.. i've got a few nice items stashed away using ATMA.

Any commiserations would be welcome :coffee:
  2. BadAsh

BadAsh IncGamers Member

Re: Dead at 65...

curses really don't bother necro's so that's out hmmmmm

i wanna say it sounded like a lag kill, but if you didn't see anything around you and you were in choas hmmmmm

maybe obliv. knight with a bone spirit and a flame from a venom lord at a distance...only real thing that could have hurt ya. unless something tele'd on you then right off as you died...a unique mini boss

been luvin the necro ever since it came out and i still use all the time glad you gave him a chance ...don't give up on him bro-ham
  3. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

You gotta learn to Alt-f4 or Esc(this one is handy in single player) when getting into trouble. Its incredibly effective and has probably saved hardcore characters millions of times from certain death.
  4. AgentMarth

AgentMarth IncGamers Member

Do NOT alt-f4.

It will cause your character to stay on the game longer then you realize, causing your death if you are around anything dangerous. You may have exited client side, but server side you stay in game for a bit just like when your internet goes out.

The only sure fire way to exit the game asap, is S&E. It may take a bit to get used to fluxing, but it is definitely the safer and faster way to do it.

P.S. It might have been a FE death explosion if instant, if not, more details are needed. But the post is a month old so I don't expect a reply, just wanted to point out not to alt-f4
  5. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

RIP.

Next time don't hang around as your army thins. Skeletons don't get 'thinned' that easily, if it is happening, the monsters you are facing are strong, and you should already be backing away, planning not to return until you've TP'ed out and revived a new army. As you're retreating/backing off/preparing to retreat, you have three options as I see it:

1) Blast any bodies on the ground with CE as a last ditch effort to turn the tides. Don't rely on this to save your *** though, there might not be enough bodies, or it might not do enough damage to clear things up. If you're about to become surrounded, just run.

2) Use any bodies to replace your dwindling army. The odd time this will turn the tides and you're army will be able to overpower the enemy. Most likely your merc is already dead (him being your main killing source), and in this case the extra skeletons are only there to hinder your enemy while you find a place to throw up a safe TP.

3) Just run! A few well placed Decriptifies will help you make a safe distance to cast that TP (but if you aren't certain which hotkey your Decrip is, or aren't confident in your ability to smoothly curse and move, a panicked run is probably a better option). This is the preferred method IMO. If your skeletons are dieing you have to leave, a necromancer has nothing left after his skeletons have dwindled. Run and live, or stay and die, but remember, despite what it says, nobody will remember your Deeds of Valour... not even you, all you will remember is the hollow feeling his death scream left in your ears.

Hidden option number 4) Throw around some Lifetap (if you've got points in it). This one is more advanced. You need to recognize that you're up against a skeleton melting enemy before it's too late... definitely your (might) merc had better still be alive.

As for what killed you. BadAsh's lag guess is out, since you seem to have been playing SP. It was probably a ranged OK attack (how were your resists?) Or... you weren't melee'ing, where you?

Aft+F4 is fine in SP (He referenced ATMA, so I have to assume he's playing SP). The clients and sever side do still exist in SP, but they communicate very quickly.

However, it's a moot point, because just pressing ESC pauses the game (giving you all the time in the world to click the "save & exit" option). Where as Alt+F is still two key presses, and requires co-ordination in a panicked/sticky situation.

So ya, ultimately ESC > Alt+F4. Always.

-hps

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008