Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

David Blaine - Floater

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Bortaz, Aug 29, 2005. | Replies: 16 | Views: 595

1. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

David Blaine - Floater

I watched an A&E or something special on this dude last night. He's a hell of a magician, and also does extreme things like being totally encased in ice for 3 days, standing up, with no food, or being suspended in the air for 40+ days, just to prove he can do it.

The kicker is, though, that he claims to be able to levitate. The show last night actually showed him doing it, and was freaky as hell. Anyone seen this, or believe this dude can really float?

Man, that'd be cool.

2. kobold

kobold Banned

I've seen it, and he can do some pretty neat things. I'm still skeptical though. Would like to see a performance in person.

3. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Seen it. No idea how he does it... :scratch:

4. Jigga-Scrooge

Jigga-Scrooge IncGamers Member

i know how he does it. i saw a show that showed how it was done.

5. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

Yeah I saw a show about the ice block thing. Something about there was a lookalike and a little passage in the floor. When they sprayed the ice to 'keep it from melting' he switched places, ate, and slept.

He's not so much a magician as he is someone with a lot of patience and time.

6. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

I love how people realize that traditional magicians rely on tricks of the eye and sleight of hand, but these new style magicians where they survive unbelievable things and turmoils and such, people believe it is real. They are tricks, people. Very neat ones, but tricks none the less.

Regardless, I am highly entertained watching street magicians perform. I find them the most impressive.

7. asdf

asdf IncGamers Member

yeah, i think it was a pretty neat trick.

i wonder why people actually brush off david blaine as "just some guy who does tricks" while praising stage magicians and such. THEY'RE THE SAME. i certainly hope that these people realize that magic isn't real- they're all tricks. it just depends on the presentation. i like david blaine's style for his street magic- the tricks are simple, quick, smooth and still appears to be inexplicable.

8. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

I saw a special that totally explained everything he's ever done.

Anyway, the levitation thing was he stood on the ball of one foot and lifted the other foot. He positioned himself so you couldn't see the foot he was standing on, and genereally did this trick in dark places.

I really don't like him, he seems like a pompus backside of a mule.

9. CyberHawk

CyberHawk IncGamers Member

I know how to do the floating thing with the feet. Seen it done, and they showed you how. Its very simple, and always never showing the front side of the foot. All you do is put feet together, and turn around saying stuff like "get to catch me if I start to fall"...then lift yourself up with your front part of 1 foot....both heels, and down the sides of the feet appear to be floating from the backside.

10. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

There ya go.

Have never see him do any magic in person. Nor have ever seen him advertised to do a live show. Never seen him ever ... after my numerous times to Vegas.

Smells like TV special effect.

And those are really lame magic tricks. Looks more like publicity stunts.

11. Ebuski

Ebuski IncGamers Member

well for the floating one, i saw the show that explained it as well. They would have him float up slightly (the kind anyone can do while having one foot on the ground.. ill make a video tonight and show you for those still confused... Then they tape their reactions when they are like "Oh dang holy crap) then when everyone has left he gets strung up on wires and actually floats 2 feet in the air, the have the camera positioned behind someone wearing the same thing as one of the spectators.. basically a stand-in while he does the really fake looking levitation.

So basically its chopping up pieces of the video they put him levitating a little, then A LOT more with a stand-in wearing the same piece of clothing a spectator wore, then they put in their reaction after the part where he was floating up really high

12. NIRVANA

NIRVANA IncGamers Member

Did anyone see him rip his heart out on Carson Daly? It looked incredibly fake.

13. bammargera

bammargera IncGamers Member

even if he doesnt do "real" stuff, i still love his street tricks.

14. Ranger14

Ranger14 IncGamers Member

Blaine is nothing compared to that Chriss Angel...Mindfreak. Watch a few of his shows and tell me it is "staged". His levitation pretty much has regular people confirming, checking and making sure there are no gimmicks. The spontaneity of what he does and the way the people are freaking out when they witness it is pretty darn convincing if it is staged. I was blown away by what he does levitating himself and levitating other people.

15. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

Snake Oil is still Snake Oil.

It aint even good booze.

:lol:

16. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I don't like those sort of big, stagey magic tricks. The most impressive magic tricks I've ever seen are people who are really good at plain old sleight of hand. Because there's no trick. I saw this routine once on a magic show where the guy had cards flying everywhere, wands shortening and lengthening, birds appearing out of nowhere. I played it in slow motion and still couldn't see anything.

17. myleftfoot

myleftfoot IncGamers Member

Yeah my friend can kind of do that, of course no half as good as blaine. Hes not doing it, just the angles you see it at. I can't really explain because I wasn't very interested when my mate was showing me.