Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Datamined Wizard Skill Changes for RoS: Huge List

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by Flux, Sep 17, 2013. | Replies: 13 | Views: 19220

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Digging through the hay stack of datamined skill strings, I wanted to sort them out and put them into order so as to better get a sense of what's changing. The DM print out lists a lot of skills that are only changed in wording, so I didn't include those here. Only skills that have changes in function.

Other classes:

The mandatory disclaimer:
    these are from an early version of RoS and many of the changes will change by launch. Source: Datamined skill details.

----------------Wizard Passive Skill Changes-------------------

No changes other than tooltip wording:
    Arcane Dynamo, Astral Presence, Blur, Critical Mass, Evocation, Glass Cannon, Prodigy, Unstable Anomaly.

Power Hungry
    Being healed by a health globe. causes the next Arcane Power Spender you cast to be cast for free
    You can have up to 5 charges of Power Hungry.

Illusionist
    When you suffer more than 15% of your Life in a single hit, the cooldowns on Mirror Image, Slow Time, and Teleport are reset.
    When you use Mirror Image, Slow Time, or Teleport, your movement speed is increased by 30% for 3 seconds. (The second part about boosted movement speed is new for RoS.)

Conflagration
    Fire damage dealt to enemies applies a burning effect, increasing their chance to be critically hit by 5% for 3 seconds. (This previously added a 10% chance to burn from fire.)

Galvanizing Ward
    As long as ,you have not taken damage in the last 5 seconds you gain a protective shield that absorbs the next 12386 damage.

Paralysis
    Every 10th cast of a Lightning spell Stuns all enemies hit for 1.5 seconds.

_______________New Wizard Passive Skills__________________

Arcane Aegis
    Dealing Arcane damage, grants you a shield that absorbs 826 damage for second.

Unwavering Will
    Standing still for 2 seconds increases the following attributes:
    * Armor: 20%
    * All Resistances: 20%
    * Damage: 10%

Audacity
    You deal 20% additional damage to enemies within 15 yards.

Elemental Exposure
    Damaging enemies with Arcane, Cold, Fire or Lightning will cause them to take 5% more damage from all sources for 5 seconds. Each different damage type applies a stack, stacking up to 4 times. Elemental damage from weapons contributes to Elemental Exposure.

___________________Wizard Active Skill Changes_______________________

Primary Skills:

Magic Missile (db)
    Launch a missile of magic energy, dealing 125% weapon damage as Arcane. (No change in base skill.)
    • Conflagration: Missiles pierce through enemies and cause them to burn for 30% weapon damage as Fire over 3 seconds. (Formerly Penetrating Blast, which granted a piercing effect.)
    • Glacial Spike: Cast out a shard of ice that explodes on impact, causing enemies within 5 yards to take 88% weapon damage as Cold and be frozen for 1 second. Enemies cannot be frozen by Glacial Spike more than once every 5 seconds. (Formerly Attunement, which gained the Wizard 4 AP per target hit.)

Shock Pulse (db)
    (No change to base skill or rune effects.)

Spectral Blade (db)
    (Base damage changed to Arcane, but nothing else altered.)
    • Flame Blades: Each enemy hit increases the damage of your Fire spells by 1% for 5 seconds. (Formerly called Deep Cuts which added 45% weapon damage over 3 seconds.)
    • Ice Blades: Chilled enemies have a 10% chance to be Frozen and Frozen enemies have a 10% increased chance to be critically hit by Spectral Blade. (Previously Impactful Blades, and it slowed enemies by 80% for 1 second.)
    • Barrier Blades: With each cast, gain a protective shield for 1 second that absorbs 826 damage, (Previously Healing Blades, and it healed 5% of damage done. LIke all the other skills with Life Steal, it's getting gutted in RoS.)

Electrocute (db)
    No changes to the basic skill or rune effects.

Secondary Skills:

Ray of Frost (db)
    Project a beam of frozen ice that blasts enemies within 5 yards of the first enemy hit for 280% weapon damage as Cold and Slows their movement by 60% for 4 seconds. (Added the 5 yard radius effect, allowing for more enemies to be affected.)
    Cost: 16 Arcane Power
    • Snow Blast: Enemies hit by Ray of Frost take 30% increased damage from Cold for 4 seconds. (Formerly increased damage up to 364% when focused on the same target for 1.5s.)
    • Sleet Storm: Create a swirling storm around you that grows up to a 22 yard radius, dealing 364% weapon damage as Cold to all enemies caught within it. (Added the 22y description.)

Arcane Orb (db)
    Hurl an orb of pure energy that explodes on contact, dealing 200% weapon damage as Arcane to all enemies within 15 yards. (Previously 10 yards.)
    Cost: 30 Arcane Power (Previously 35 cost.)
    • Obliteration: Increase the speed of the orb and its damage to 260% weapon damage as Arcane, but reduce the area of effect to 8 yards. (Previously there was no change to projectile speed or radius of explosion.)
    • Spark: Lob an electrified orb over enemies that zaps them for 200% weapon damage as Lightning and increases the damage of the next Lightning spell you cast by 1% for every enemy hit. (Previously Arcane Nova. The "lob" movement (presumably it moves like a grenade, like the WD's Firebomb) and increased Lightning spell damage is all new.)
    • Scorch: Launch a burning orb that leaves behind a trail of Fire, dealing 100% weapon damage as Fire to enemies it pierces through and 150% weapon damage as Fire when it explodes. The wall of Fire left behind deals 300% weapon damage as Fire over 5 seconds. (Previously Tap the Source, which reduced cost to 20 AP.)
    • Frozen Orb: Create an orb of frozen death that shreds an area with ice bolts, dealing up to 100% weapon damage as Cold to enemies it pierces through and up to 150% weapon damage as Cold when it bursts. (Previously Celestial Orb, which added a piercing effect.)

Arcane Torrent (db)
    (No change to base skill.)
    • Cascade: Enemies hit by Arcane Torrent have a 30% chance to fire a new missile at a nearby enemy dealing 285% weapon damage as Fire. / Arcane Torrent's damage turns into Fire. (Formerly it was only enemies killed, and 100% chance of the proc.)

Disintegrate (db)
    Channel a beam of pure energy forward, dealing 220% weapon damage as Arcane and disintegrating enemies it kills. (No change to base skill.)
    Cost: 18 Arcane Power
    • Intensify: Enemies hit by Disintegrate take 30% increased damage from Arcane for 4 seconds. (Formerly damage increased over time to a maximum of 286%.)

Defensive Skills:

Frost Nova (db)
    No changes to the basic skill or rune effects.

Diamond Skin (db)
    Transform your skin to diamond for 6 seconds, absorbing up to 0 damage from incoming attacks. (Formerly absorbed up to 10853 damage.)
    Cooldown: 15 seconds /

• Crystal Shell: IncreasesIncrease the maximum amount of damage absorbed to 0 damage. (Formerly 21707 damage.)
    • Diamond Shards: When Diamond Skin fades, diamond shards explode in all directions dealing 210% weapon damage as Arcane to nearby enemies. (Formerly Physical damage.)

Slow Time (db)
    Cooldown: 15 seconds / Invoke a bubble of warped time and space for 8 seconds, reducing enemy attack speed by 20% and movement speed by 60%. This bubble also slows the speed of enemy projectiles by 90%. (No change to base skill function.)
    • Point of No Return: Enemies that enter or leave the Slow Time area are stunned for 2 seconds. (Formerly called Miasma, with a 3 second duiration.)
    • Time and Space: Slow Time is now cast at your target location up to 60 yards away. (Formerly called Perpetuity, which reduced cooldown time.)

Teleport (db)
    Teleport through the ether to the selected location up to 35 yards away.
    Cooldown: 16 seconds
    Cost: 0 Arcane Power (The AP cost of 15 has been removed.)

• Calamity: Cast a short range Wave of Force upon arrival, dealing 265% weapon damage as Arcane to all nearby enemies. and stunning them for 1.5 seconds. (Damage type changed from Physical to Arcane, with the stun effect added as well.)

Force Skills:
    Wave of Force (db)
    Discharge a wave of pure energy that deals 200150% weapon damage as PhysicalArcane to nearby enemies. (Previously 200% weapon damage, plus it repelled projectiles and knocked back enemies, then slowed then by 60%.).
    Cost: 25 Arcane Power
    (No cooldown. Previously there was a 12s cooldown.)

• Impactful Wave: Wave of Force repels projectiles, knocks back nearby enemies and Slows them by 60% for 3 seconds. Wave of Force gains 6 second cooldown. (Previously Forceful Wave, which increased damage to 260% and reduced the knockback.)
    • Electric Feel: Enemies hit by Wave of Force take 20% increased damage from Lightning for 4 seconds. (Previously Exploding Wave, which gave enemies a 40% chance to cause a smaller that deals 100% weapon damage and knockback.)
    • Heat Wave: Increase the damage to 195% weapon damage as Fire. (Previously Teleporting Wave, which blinked enemies to a random location.)
    • Debilitating Force: Enemies hit deal 10% reduced damage for 3 seconds. (Previously Impactful Wave which increased the knockback and added a stun effect.

Energy Twister (db)
    Unleash a twister of pure energy that deals 360% weapon damage as Arcane over 6 seconds to everything in its path.
    Cost: 25 Arcane Power (Formerly 35 AP.)
    • Gale Force: Enemies hit by Energy Twister take 30% increased damage from Fire for 6 seconds. (Previously boosted damage to 468% as Arcane.)
    • Storm Chaser: Each cast of Energy Twister grants you a Lightning Charge. You can store up to 3 Lightning Charges at a time. Casting a Signature spell releases all Lightning Charges as a bolt of Lightning that deals 75% weapon damage as Lightning per Lightning Charge. Energy Twister's damage turns into Lightning. (Previously stacked Wind charges and unleashed a giant Energy Twister of Arcane damage.)
    • Mistral Breeze: Reduce the casting cost of Energy Twister to 10 Arcane Power. / Energy Twister's damage turns into Cold. (Formerly 20 AP and no cold damage.)

Hydra (db)
    Summon a multi-headed Hydra for 15 seconds that attacks enemies with bolts of fire dealing 28% weapon damage as Fire. Only one Hydra may be active at a time. (No change to base skill.)
    Cost: 15 Arcane Power
    • Blazing Hydra: Summon a Blazing Hydra that leaves a pool of fire, dealing 18% weapon damage per second as Fire to enemies who remain in the pool. (Formerly Venom, which summoned a poison spitting Hydra that could leave DoT pools of acid.)

Meteor (db)
    Summon an immense Meteor that plummets from the sky, crashing into enemies for 260% weapon damage as Fire. The ground it hits is scorched with molten fire that deals 60% weapon damage as Fire over 3 seconds. (Unchanged.)
    Cost: 40 Arcane Power (Formerly 50 AP.)
    • Pulsar: Summon a Pulsar that deals 1820% weapon damage as Fire on impact. The Pulsar also taunts and damages nearby enemies for 490% weapon damage as Fire every second for 6 seconds. / Adds a 24 second cooldown. (Formerly Molten Impact, which increased damage to 390% and molten damage to 90% over 3 seconds.)
    • Comet: Summon a Comet that deals 312% weapon damage as Cold. and has a 20% chance to freeze enemies for 1 second upon impact. The impact site is covered in a freezing mist that deals 72% weapon damage as Cold and Slows enemy movement by 60% over 3 seconds. (Added the 20% chance to freeze target.)
    • Star Pact: Reduce the cost of Meteor to 30 Arcane Power. Meteor's damage turns into Arcane. (Formerly 35 cost.)
    • Lightning Bind: If the initial impact causes a Critical Hit, the electrified Meteor duration is increased to 8 seconds. and enemies are rooted for 3 seconds. Meteor's damage turns into Lightning. (Formerly Liquefy, which had the same effect but was fire damage.)

Blizzard (db)
    Call down shards of ice to pelt an area of 12 yard radius, dealing 510% weapon damage as Cold to all enemies in the area over 6 seconds. Multiple casts in the same area do not stack. (The 12y radius comment is new, but not a change, just a wording clarification.)
    Cost: 40 Arcane Power
    • Stark Winter: Increase the area of effect of Blizzard to a 22 yard radius. (Formerly no yard figure was given, but this new value sounds about the same as the undocumented size was previously.)

Conjuration Skills:

Ice Armor (db)
    Surround yourself in a barrier of ice that reduces damage from melee attacks by 12%. Melee attackers are either Chilled or Frozen for 2 seconds. Lasts 4 minutes. (Previously 120 second duration.)
    Only one Armor may be active at a time.
    • Frozen Storm: A whirling storm of ice builds around you dealing 10% weapon damage as Cold every second. (Previously 30% damage, but only for 3 seconds, which incentivized "flashing" the skill repeatedly.)

Storm Armor (db)
    No changes to function, just tooltip wording.

Magic Weapon (db)
    Seems to be in development, as the tooltip is entirely crossed out with nothing new added.
    • Deflection: When you perform an attack, gain a protective shield for 1 second that absorbs 826 damage. (Formerly Blood Magic, which let attacks recover 1.5% life steal.)

[/wiki]Familiar[/wiki] (db)
    (No changes to base skill.)
    Vigoron: This rune is scheduled to be redesigned. It currently does nothing. (That's the actual text in the game code. Formerly this rune causes 620 life regen per second.)

Energy Armor (db)
    Focus your energies, increasing your Armor by 35% but decreasing your maximum Arcane Power by 20. Lasts 4 minutes. Only one Armor may be active at a time. (Formerly 120s duration.)
    • No changes to functions of the rune effects.

Mastery Skills:

Explosive Blast (db)
    Gather an infusion of energy around you that explodes after 1.5 seconds for 225% weapon damage as Arcane to all enemies within 12 yards. (Formerly physical damage.)
    Cost: 20 Arcane Power
    Cooldown: 6 seconds
    • Short Fuse: Immediately release the energy of Explosive Blast for 225% weapon damage as Fire. (Formerly Physical.)
    • Time Bomb: Explosive Blast detonates from the point it was originally cast after 2.5 seconds for 315% weapon damage as Arcane. (Formerly physical damage.)

Mirror Image (db)
    Summon 2 illusionary duplicates of yourself that last for 7 seconds and have 25% of your Life. Spells cast by your Mirror Images will deal 40% of the damage of your own spells. (Previously Mirror Image spells did zero damage.)
    Cooldown: 15 seconds
    • Mirror Mimics: Spells cast by your Mirror Images will deal 40% of the damage of your own spells. (Previously 10% of weapon damage.)
    • Mocking Demise: When a Mirror Image is destroyed, it explodes, dealing 45% weapon damage as Arcane with a 50% chance to Stun for 2 seconds. (Previously the damage type was Physical.)

Archon (db)
    Transform into a being of pure arcane energy for 15 seconds. While in Archon form, your normal abilities are replaced by powerful Archon abilities, and your Armor and resistances are increased by 40%. Each enemy killed while in Archon form increases your damage by 3% for the remaining duration of Archon. (Formerly each kill added 1 second to the duration.)
    Cooldown: 120 seconds
    • Rune effects are unchanged in function.

________________________New Wizard Skill__________________________

Black Hole
    Conjure a Black Hole at the target location that draws enemies to it and deals 208% weapon damage as Arcane over 2 seconds to all enemies within 20 yards.
    Cost: 20 Arcane Power
    Cooldown: 8 seconds
    • Supermassive: Increases the Black Hole radius to 20 yards and damage to 208% weapon damage as Lightning over 2 seconds
    • Event Horizon: The Black Hole also absorbs enemy projectiles and enemy objects within 15 yards.
    • Not Yet Implemented: Fire Damage effect.
    • Speelsteal: Enemies hit by Black Hole deal 10% reduced damage for 3 seconds. Each enemy hit by Black Hole grants you 1% increased damage for 3 seconds.
    • Absolute Zero: Each enemy you hit grants 2% increased damage for the next Cold spell you cast. / Black Hole's damage turns into Cold.

Wizard Conclusion

I have played the least Wizard of any class since it doesn't work the way I want it to work. Not that the game should be designed to my specifications, but we've all got our own preferences and there's only so much time in the day to play video games. I played a ton of mage classes in D1 and D2, since I loved the fast moving, constantly-casting, varied-attacking spell design of the character. Wizard was my fave class pre-D3 and the one I most anticipated playing... and the fact that I don't play it is entirely due to the way the class works. No spammable Teleport, no incentive to vary damage types (since monsters have no resistances) and the six skill cap and necessity of defensive skills limits Wizard attack spell options anyway.

From what I can tell from the planned Wizard changes.. my basic objection to the class play style is not addressed. However... there are a lot of other cool changes and I like the idea of some of the skill redesigns. The new Arcane Orb and Wave of Force looks awesome, and I enjoy the returning D2 skills as well. Certainly more toys at the class' disposal.

So what do you guys think? Those of you who are like me and not playing much Wizard... do these planned changes make you more interested in the class?

And what do those of you who are Wizards now, think? The Archon-only build is going to be gone, and I assumed that the CM build would be nerfed away as well, but if so it's not obvious from the relevant skill descriptions. There's no listed change at all to Critical Mass, which is where I thought they'd attack it. Assuming that CM perma-freeze is not going to work either in RoS... are there new or changed skills that give you an excite?

2. MengNa

MengNa Banned

Frozen Orb... Impossible to say how it'll work out without seeing it in action.
    What made it really great for me in D2 was the huge AOE and that it was completely spammable... If in ROS it's neither then...
    The Archon nerf is annoying, as I don't really see a viable alternative without more skill changes than currently implemented. My wizard for example can do MP6 with relative ease using Archon, but whenever it's on cooldown and I need to use Electrocute they gameplay gets really slow and tedious.
    I get that they want to limit abilities like Archon and WotB, but I think that a time cap would work much better for both. Completely removing and time extension and keeping the long cooldown makes these 2 skills a waste of a skill slot IMO.
    I guess we'll all have to wait and see how it all turns out.

3. Mortalo

Mortalo IncGamers Member

Spectral Blades fan here. Ice blades seems interesting, Storm Chaser going lightning so maybe Elemental Exposure? Maybe I will add Mirror Images, as I have one slot available. Or maybe pulsar?
    CM - no changes. Good. I'm a player not geared well enough to be able to perma-freeze, still CM saves me from death as a melee wizard. Standing close to enemies, casting Diamond skin and Frost nova makes me stand awhile and listen to monsters screaming when hurt by blades. And perma-freeze makes you hunt AS, CC items to be able to do this. Problem is, that this affixes are the best ones in the game (CD more than CC, crit damage should be nerfed not chance, btw), so more variety in items can solve it a little bit.

4. tougeznut

tougeznut IncGamers Member

From what I can tell perma freeze CMs will be even more viable. Instead of explosive blast there will be more options. Black hole to draw them in (ever played with a cyclone strike monk and cmww wiz combo? ...yea OP to the Nth power)

Now we have pulsar to deal MASSIVE damage with a massive cool down. But what's 25 seconds in CMWW terms? Maybe 2? A new passive (audacity?) that rewards this mele play style with a damage bonus as well.

On the other side of things there seem to be some really cool ranged options opening up. The slow time and meteor combo will be much augmented with the ability to place your ST bubble. That bubble could also be VERY useful in PvP situations. Imagine a stationary target for a wizard...

The newer electrocute chain lightning could be very cool with the stunning rune and a really high attack speed.

Frozen orb...

I can't wait

sent from my GalaxySIII

5. Galtrovan

Galtrovan IncGamers Member

I don't think perma-freeze will be more viable. Look at the skills changes, all the ones that added cold damage mechanics that can freeze. If Blizzard makes it so no enemy can be frozen more than once every 5 seconds and only for 1 second at a time, it's not going to matter if you can spam Frost Nova via a CM build.

6. tougeznut

tougeznut IncGamers Member

I know they added a new one with a 5 second freeze timer, but frost nova itself has seen no changes...

If you're saying that it's likely it'll get a 5 second freeze delay (or something similar) tacked on then I'd agree with you. As it sits now though it still works the same.

sent from my GalaxySIII

7. Galtrovan

Galtrovan IncGamers Member

Well, if Blizzard doesn't make things consistent... I don't know. It's Blizzard. Who knows what they will do, or overlook, or not think through.

8. Mortalo

Mortalo IncGamers Member

@Galtrovan you believe that Blizz will nerf Frost Nova from 3s to 1s? I'm spectral blades wizard and reduced cooldown from CM means mixing Diamond Skin and Frost Nova to be able to stay alive. Freeze delay sounds like sth that can happen and would not hurt this low geared melee wizards (like me). You'll be able to reduce cooldown other way than CM in RoS, so who knows what they'll do.

9. snurrfint

snurrfint IncGamers Member

Well, Frozen orb has almost the exact same stats as Scorch rune effect except the burning effect on the ground. The only thing that differs is the mention of "up to 100% weapon dmg" instead of Scorch's "deals 100% weapon dmg". This makes me think that it covers a much larger area. Probably, enemies take 100% weapon dmg at the center of the orb, and less at the edges.

As for the ability to spam it, I think it should be pretty easy to build a char with the ability to at least periodically spam it. The new "power hungry" is one good option as well as "arcane power on crit" combined with "Astral Presence".

On a side note; I'm eager to try out the new runes for magic missile with this new item affix: " Magic Missile fires 2 extra missiles."
    I think the piercing rune would be ideal. 3 per cast. If they deal the same amount of dmg, thats 125%*3 = 375% dmg + 30% burn. Thats a lot for a primary attack.

10. Fortuan

Fortuan IncGamers Member

Well there goes my arcane meteor build :( Although it seems going to a lightning build will be more viable.

11. Aahzmadius

Aahzmadius IncGamers Member

I'm not against nerfing the perma-Archon build in general, but when I look at what it's been changed into, I recall a line from the old movie Real Genius, "So what would you use that for?" In theory, Archon is your "hit when you see an elite pack" button. But the proposed skill change would be optimal to kill a bunch of trash mobs to maximize the DPS boost. Except...who needs help killing trash mobs? I guess it's supposed to be like the Avenger ability, where you kill one member of the elite pack and then get a damage boost, but unless you can take out the entire mob in 15 seconds, will it be worth putting on your bar?

12. TheDestructor

TheDestructor IncGamers Member

Most areas in the game you end up with large packs of white mobs paired with an elite (Fields of Misery, particularly) so it'd become quite powerful in those situations when you go Archon, melt 15 mobs for 45% extra damage, (which is a lot) then melt the elites just as easily. You could even try to kite elites into the next pack for this bonus. And it still does a good job of replicating some of the joys of Archon where you find a large pack of monsters and gobble them up for a bunch more seconds. Wouldn't mind a shorter CD on it though.

Frozen Orb! yay

Mirror Image is still pretty underwhelming, with three runes sharing nearly the same functionality. Look forward to seeing even more dramatic changes!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  13. ShadowMatrix

ShadowMatrix IncGamers Member

I'd really like the devs to change sleet storm to a base skill and give it elemental rune effects just like we're seeing with other skills such as arcane orb or spectral blades or energy twister it should get the same things like for frost (sleet storm), fire (fire storm), lightning (lightning storm), arcane (giant tornado swirls around you).

14. Fortuan

Fortuan IncGamers Member

What I'm concerned about is losing some utility that came from different spells. I'd be afraid to take away rune affects that change how it works for simply changing the element type. I don't think I've seen much of that aside from some of the arcane orb runes. Also funny what makes the wizard the wizard is indeed arcane and still doesn't seem like it's getting a whole lotta love.