Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Dashing strike suggestion

Discussion in 'Monk' started by Fatalist, May 30, 2012. | Replies: 17 | Views: 2918

1. Fatalist

Fatalist IncGamers Member

It seems to me that dashing strike is the only class movement ability that suffers in terms of escaping. It's great for zipping around from target to target, but when it's time to run for dear life a player can only distance himself just behind the target (unless there's a breakable item in the distance). Every other class' movement ability(s) aren't restricted by relativity to the target. Not only does this make the skill obsolete in terms of escaping, but also with respect to quick travel (alongside being a spirit-spender). I think Blizzard should make dashing strike move in terms of absolute distance with the cursor and not of the target. And if it's logical, make it usable with no spirit for travel quickness, even if its more restricted (being that every other class can ability travel quicker than the monk).
  2. Kinky

Kinky IncGamers Member

I don't think it's so much a problem for the Monk; the Monk has considerably more survivability granted by his skills alone (tons of healing potential, immunity, dodge etc.), not to mention some pretty heavy CC skills/runes. For example, he has a myriad of slows/knockbacks from his basic skills/spirit generators alone, in addition to Lashing Tail Kick and Blinding Flash.

As a Monk player, obviously it'd be nice to see a buff to Dashing Strike, but as far as general gameplay is concerned, it serves its general purpose pretty well.

-Kinky
  3. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

I played all the way through hell with it on a skill slot. The only time I really used it that much was for treasure goblins. I ended up taking it off as it just isn't useful enough to keep in a slot. I agree with the OP's suggestions.
  4. slyraje

slyraje IncGamers Site Pal

I found this skill to be pretty useful for escaping. It can get you to the outside of the pack quickly by targeting an enemy on the edge of the surrounding mob. It allows you to dash the full length of the skill while jailed (invaluable imo). I was running a build that used Mantra of Conviction - Dishearten (30% speed reduction), Fleet Footed, WotHF - Blazing Fists, and Dashing Strike. I found it pretty easy to kite this way. Made me more mobile that the fastest champions/rares.
  5. yovargas

yovargas IncGamers Member

It's not supposed to be a great escape skill. If you need a "get away" skill, get Tempest Rush. TR is very fast. With Fleet Footed and the +speed rune, Monk is probably the fastest class.
  6. magicrectangle

magicrectangle IncGamers Member

Yeah if you need to get away tempest rush is definitely the way to go. I use dashing strike to take me to monsters that need to be dead. Like the summoner skeletons or the resurrecting shaman guys. I also use it to dodge missile attacks. It isn't an escape skill like teleport. I know on the surface the functionality seems similar, but dashing strike is for getting yourself to your highest priority target fast. I use the heck out of it for that. It can also sometimes be useful for escape, but that isn't its primary function.
  7. pantar

pantar IncGamers Member

i use dashing strike to get away quickly - just press shift and the direction you want to go and you teleport about 4 yards, has saved my *** so many times
    i use it on big slow hitters to constantly dash behind them to never get hit
    dodge out of ice
    move fast from desecrate, plagued + other aoe
    treasure goblins- rooting/slowing things down that run away
    skipping past an area fast by chain casting it to jump up the entire area
    so many uses- been on my bar since i got it, constantly used
    its fantastic and its really annoying not having it equipped to RMB
  8. WhiteGiant

WhiteGiant IncGamers Member

sorry but that is about the least bang for the buck i can think of ... the cost and speed of TR are atrocious and in Inferno you need every kind of mitigation skill available to even attempt a fight.

if my whole strategy in inferno revolves around fleeing from enemies which would 2-3 shot me i think fleet footed or TR are no good choices.
    maybe on a conceptual level these skills were supposed to do something like that. but the combat situations in d3 do not always pan out as neatly as the skill designer designer think they should.

this is also why we had skills like smoke screen which granted you invurnability and invisibility for 3 seconds. in combination with easily obtainable disciblin gear and preparation that is a total of 18-27 seconds of invurnability on a class which likely has the most dps in the game....

In fact i dont see how TR is good choice at all its even more useless than inner sanctuary. I wouldnt even consider it if could have all the runes of TR at the same time.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  9. ElementEight

ElementEight IncGamers Member

The monk is supposed to be the swift, agile, dodging character. The irony behind this signature skill of his is that using it feels very slow and clumsy. It could use more "snap" to it, somewhat similar to how FoT/Thunderclap feels. Never used beyond trying it for about half a minute when the slot opened up.
  10. Athenau

Athenau IncGamers Member

The problem with TR is that it has huge anti-synergy with high IAS weapons. It's a channeled skill, so the cost goes up with attack speed, making unuseable if you want fast attacks. TR needs a cost reduction, or it needs to become like the barbarian's sprint where you pay the cost up front and get the benefits for a fixed duration.

Dashing strike feels very clumsy compared to FoT/Thunderclap.
  11. ElementEight

ElementEight IncGamers Member

Ick, TR is indeed garbage. Its only redeeming factor is that it goes through stuff. Good for skipping stuff you could kill with another, better skill I suppose?
  12. WhiteGiant

yes but than again why would you want to skip stuff ? ; in inferno you dont just go skipping stuff. and you also dont switch out skills because of nephalem valor.and even for other difficulties it can at best be considered gimmicky.

13. Athenau

Athenau IncGamers Member

TR isn't there to skip stuff (it's way too expensive for that). It's good to get you out of tight spots (it's the only escape skill that can go through enemies), but if you die because you ran out of spirit two seconds later then that's not so great. :-(.
  14. WhiteGiant

well Lashing tail kick is much better at dissolving a surround or position you / and other champs into an advantageous position. its also cheaper deals more dmg and does not require me to channel ; thus leaving me more time to hit with generator. TR can absolutely do nothing what other skills cannot do already.also i dont see myself ever getting into that tight spot you mentioned if you just play cautious. you can prevent surrounds and tight spots just by being cautious. unless its inferno and you get oneshot by somethig really fast ; in which case TR would not have helped anyway ...

they could atleast have buffed it ; maybe something like innate 50% missile reflect chance and lower spirit cost. i dunno really ; i think that that the whole concept of the skill is kinda mindboggling with the hobbing effect etc...

15. Athenau

Athenau IncGamers Member

Lashing tail kick doesn't knock back larger enemies reliably, especially large bosses/champs. As an escape ability TR is much better. Also, there are too many boss mods that remove control from your character to claim that cautious play will prevent you from getting surrounded. There's nothing you can do if you get vortexed into the middle of a boss pack, for example. At that point tempest rush is the only skill that can get you out.

That doesn't necessarily make it worth a slot on your bar, but it does serve a niche that no other skill does.
  16. WhiteGiant

i have yet to meet a mob which cannot be kicked away from you ; even unburried / Horrors are no problem ; and bosses like belial can be kicked away too they even sagger which is like a stun / animation / hit cancel ; so it is absolutely reliable. in which situation wouldnt it be ? I farmed quite alot in act 1 inferno with sweeping armada and never had situation arise in which TR would have saved me.

17. slyraje

slyraje IncGamers Site Pal

DS does go through enemies... If you get vortexed into the middle of a pack, you can target any of them and end up behind the targeted mob. Even if you get vortexed, jailed, and desecrated/plagued, DS will get you out of trouble where no other skill besides serenity could.

I don't really like the skill, but I can't deny how useful it has been for me.
  18. MalmerDK

MalmerDK IncGamers Member

The ingenuity of Dashing Strike, is that if you're surrounded or cornered by a mob, clicking on an enemy at the edge will not only take you to him; it will place you on the opposite site of him, making your back free to run away.

I have it paired with Blinding Speed for that 20% increased chance to dodge, since I mostly need it when I'm in trouble. But it has proven to be quite useful to get to enemies that resurrect minions, elites surrounded by invulnerable minions, or just plain hard battles, where I need to take out weak/low health enemies first.

The problem with "dying because you run out of spirit" really is a moot point. If you're cornered in i fight you can't win with plain punching, you're dead with no spirit anyway.