Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Dashing strike nerfed

Discussion in 'Monk' started by Chaboi, Apr 16, 2012. | Replies: 19 | Views: 2254

1. Chaboi

Chaboi IncGamers Member

Dashing strike nerfed

Been playing around in the latest patch, seems like the range on this skill has been nerfed by close to 25 yeards. Cant even go the length of the screen anymore. Highlighting a mob at the edge and casting the skill results in you coming up short. What's the deal?

2. ElementEight

ElementEight IncGamers Member

Re: Dashing strike nerfed

It's merely been put in line with other movements skills.

3. Chaboi

Chaboi IncGamers Member

I respectfully disagree.

4. Neinball

Neinball <a href="payments.php">IncGamers Site Pal</a> and<

I agree with Chaboi, this skill is only useful with instigation combat, not escaping it and all of the rune effect require you hitting a target. For normal movement it's already lacking compared to the other classes movement abilities and not that it's ranged is being cut again they are making it even that great for it's single purpose if other skills rune effets can replicate the same exact movement distance with more damage.

5. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

ElementEigth is correct. Vault, Leap and Teleport always had a range limit and I assume Furious Charge will have one as well. Even though I really liked it, it didn't feel right that Dashing Strike had unlimited range.

Except they can't really. Leap, Furious Charge, Teleport and Spirit Walk are on cooldowns, have limited range as well and Spirit Walk isn't even really a movement skill. Vault is Dashing Strike's only real competition. It's range however is still shorter and relatively speaking it costs more resource than Dashing Strike. Fact is that Dashing Strike is still the king of movement skills in many situations.

As for damage, it was never Dashing Strike's strong suit.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  6. yovargas

yovargas IncGamers Member

But unlike all of those it was limited by only being useable in combat, making it a weak defensive skill. That was what made it special - best movement as offense, worst as defense. Am disappointed by this. :|

7. HardRock

It became worse as offense, but if you ask me it still remains the best.

8. Coolhwip

Coolhwip IncGamers Member

I had to reinstall the beta to confirm this...

Yay for another knee jerk nerf because a bunch of baddies cried on the forums that a monk had better mobility in beta than their gimmick classes (wizards, demon hunters).

If their intent is to prevent people using monks from bypassing mob packs to rush to a boss/rare pack, they need to nerf Wormhole, Rattling Roll (1.5 second spammable 8 yard aoe stun is ridiculous) not to mention Tumble (50% reduced cost to 4 disc).

Brought on par with other movement skills, my azz. Dash is now far too expensive compared to other movement skills and the second worst in its runed effects after spirit walk. On the WD side this is needed because a teleporting army of pets would not be balanced. The least they could to is buff Flying side kick to aoe stun just like Rattling Roll does.

The funny thing is, the ability to dash onto breakables was added after a good number of casuals cried about it (they love breaking their barrels). So all that's needed is getting them on board again to whine some more and we'll get what we want.

9. HardRock

All classes have their strengths when it comes to mobility skills. Dashing Strike received a slight nerf, but its usefulness wasn't changed drastically.

Monks could never do that with Dashing Strike. If they want to nerf the Monk's mob skipping ability then they should nerf Tempest Rush.

The other classes can skip enemies easily, but they either have to use multiple CD's to do it (WD, Barb, Wizard), or in the case of the DH burn away their resources, just like the Monk. With very good end-game gear this won't be such a big issue for either the Monk or the DH though.

Wormhole is just a range extension to Teleport for an increased resource cost. Base Teleport has a comparable cost to Dashing Strike, but it has a cooldown. Wormhole is fine.

Maybe it's spamable, but aiming it is tricky. since you can only specify a direction for Vault and not a precise destination. This also means that you have to use at at least 3 Vaults instead of 2 if you want to stun the same group twice. Rattling Roll is just a safety measure when you're Vaulting like you never should. It's not really an offensive rune.

Dashing Strike has Quicksilver, which reduces its cost to 10 Spirit, a 60% reduction.

Here are the relative resource costs of mobility skills:

Leap: free + 10 sec CD
    Vault: ~26% resource
    Dashing Strike: ~16% resource
    Spirit Walk: ~6% resource (at level 60) + 15 sec CD
    Teleport: 15% resource + 16 sec CD

I think that Dashing Strike represents the middle ground in overall cost, if you don't consider item and rune options. Even like this, it's the best offensive mobility skill of the bunch. The fact that they brought it's range in line with other similar skills didn't change this.

Flying Side Kick can be aimed precisely (I'm 99% sure about this, as the base skill can be as well), while Rattling Roll cannot. Maybe it could have a chance to stun every enemy in it's path though.

10. yovargas

If they cut the range in half, it feels like the cost should be cut too. The need for a target already prevents spamming so the higher cost seems unnecessary.

11. HardRock

The range was reduced to about 60-65 yards, the distance between the player and the left and right sides of the screen. What this means is that when you dash to an enemy in the upper left and right corners of the screen you'll come a little short, just like with Leap. To be honest, I'm not sure why they didn't extend Leap's range instead, but in any case, this change is hardly game-breaking.

12. pcguy

pcguy IncGamers Member

I saw this and I feel the need to dispute it. The WD moves at increased speed while Spirit Walking and can also travel through enemies. I do not know by the exact measurement of the movement speed increase, but while testing it in the Beta, it most definitely felt like a movement skill.

Not counting Big Bad Voodoo, the only other movement skill the WD has is Stalker, a variation of Horrify which buffs his movement speed by 20% for 4 seconds. I am unsure if 20% is faster than the boost provided by Spirit Walk.

13. yovargas

Any chance of a vid showing the new range?

14. HardRock

Here's a quick video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wagEiJjP5GM

Before patch 16 I would have hit the log with my second dash and it was possible to hit even farther targets in the upper corners of the screen. This isn't the end of the world. Now Dashing Strike is on par with Leap in range.

15. yovargas

Oh, is that all? Who cares. :p Though it's kinda odd that they wouldn't let you hit that tiny corner of the screen. But meh.

16. Chaboi

Chaboi IncGamers Member

If you take the fact that teleport and leap can traverse different levels in a dungeon, their ddistances are not comparable.

17. Chaboi

Chaboi IncGamers Member

Also that video does not really show the implications when mobs are fleeing. The ability is supposed to close the gap, root, and allow you to attack. What happens is you come up short, cast an extended attack animation, waste spirit, and the distance closed by using the skill is mitigated as the enemy regains his distance while you complete the attack animation. Any enemy that can be highlighted for activation of a skill should be attackable (including leap).

18. HardRock

Yes, in some cases Leap and Teleport are better. In others, Dashing Strike is, since it doesn't have a cooldown. Sure, it can't be used effectively if you don't have a target, but this disadvantage is mitigated by the fact that you can dash towards destructibles now.

I thought all this was implied from my video.

This I agree with. Like I said, they should have extended Leap's range instead this change.

19. Torr

Torr IncGamers Member

It's definitely a nerf, but I don't think it's a big one. The current build I'm thinking of using has the Exalted Soul passive (which isn't primarily for just Dashing Strike), and the Quicksilver rune that reduces the cost of Dashing Strike to 10 spirit (because I still like the mobility of DS). I never looked at DS as offensive or defensive (which is why I am not interested in the other runes)... it's always been more about the movement, getting to ranged quicker and controlling which enemies are near you in the battle.

If I keep this build, my spirit cost for Dashing Strike is then reduced to 4% of my spirit total (250 total for exalted soul, 10 spirit cost). Since I assume by high levels we will have at least one kind of item that will regenerate spirit, that means that I am expecting Dashing Strike to be practically free. An almost free mobility skill with no cooldown has tons of potential, even if I can't reach the corners with one try.

DS doesn't need to be used by every monk, but I think it will be useful for those who embrace it in their build.

20. HardRock

That's correct. Spirit Stones (Monk helms), Daibos and Fist Weapons can spawn with spirit regen, 2.5 per second per piece. That's potentially 7.5 spirit regen if you dual-wield. Additionally some Legendary and Set items may have this bonus in slots, where we couldn't have it otherwise.