Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Darkness Falls, Heroes Rise is boring. Am I the only one that thinks that?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Genocides, Apr 27, 2012. | Replies: 21 | Views: 1648

1. Genocides

Genocides IncGamers Site Pal

Darkness Falls, Heroes Rise is boring. Am I the only one that thinks that?

Look I like many of you have been a diehard Diablo fan since the start, but I really and truly feel like that release website is a joke. Yay in game banners that was a good thing, but the unlocks are horrible in my opinion. I can't even justify them for people who haven't been following Diablo 3 for as long as us. Those developer videos from over a year ago don't really sell the game to me. The book is cool, don't get me wrong, but where is the meat and bones. Show us a buncha legendaries with updated mods, some cool video compilations of skill rune effects we haven't seen, some video or concept art of some of the later acts or towns or villages or cities we go to.

I'm not asking for spoilers, but something more than 3 middle aged game devs talking about how excited they are to do an internal Alpha test. I can already guess that the 100% is going to be an opening cinematic and I'm probably right knowing Blizzards predictable track record on these type events related to WoW.

I'm no genius, but you don't build up momentum for the launch of a game efficiently by telling people what you (as devs wanted to do) you do it by telling us (as customers) what we will want to do and what will make us want it that much more.
  2. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Re: Darkness Falls, Heroes Rise is boring. Am I the only one that thinks that?

Wooooosh.

That was the point of the website as it flew past your head.

It's a marketing trick for largely casual players. You'd think the big "class reveal" videos that don't correspond to reality of gameplay (or don't actually reveal anything) would have tipped you off. Don't expect anything interesting if you are at all informed about the game.
  3. Eagle

Eagle IncGamers Member

Agreed (with Genocides) mostly, the banner stuff is appropriate, the dev videos, not so much. I guess a lot of people probably like watching those videos, but they really aren't the sort of thing that generates excitement about the release. They'd be more appropriate as an extras DVD to go with the collectors edition or something like that.

I mean, they can't think much of it themselves, given that typing diablo3.com on your browser goes to http://us.battle.net/d3/en/ rather than the Heroes Rise page. And, on the D3 battle net page the heroes rises page link is mixed amongst the current news items.
  4. Urzuxo

Urzuxo IncGamers Member

Really? I like the site. It's not mindblowing but I'm okay with that. The sigils unlocks are a nice little reward for loyal fans and the short stories are well written. The video unlocks are ... they're alright.

Nothing special but I'm a lot happier with this than with nothing.
  5. redrach

redrach IncGamers Member

I don't see how his point would be any less valid even if that were the case. Even casual players would much rather see in-game footage of skills and gameplay that hasn't been shown yet than the developer diaries.
    Blizzard's done a very poor job on that page, IMO.

6. Silverbanshee

Silverbanshee IncGamers Member

The site is the only place (as far as I know) to find the short stories for each class. I thought those were all worth checking out.

Edit:
    I just discovered they are on the bottom of the game guide (under expanded universe) after they are revealed on the Heroes Rise page
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  7. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

I think that the 50% unlock was very cool - it felt more like a proper promotional video, and we even got juicy new gameplay footage which I'm still re-watching just because it reminds me how much of this game we still haven't seen :3.

But really, I'm in it for the 100% unlock. It's probably going to be Flash-animated and hence, will look a bit funny, but I'm so curious about what the story's about. I need to see just how 'brain-melting' it is. @_@

The banners are definitely very nice, too!
  8. redrach

redrach IncGamers Member

That I agree with.

9. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 IncGamers Member

I've said it a few times. People will complain about everything.
  10. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

I think it's super lame.
  11. Franz

Franz IncGamers Member

I expected something way better...

I thought we would see D3 news all over the web by now... (i mean official news and videos from blizzard, not the actual leaks and information that incgamers or other fan sites collect)

At least today they confirmed the TV ad :)
  12. Genocides

Genocides IncGamers Site Pal

I've said it a few times. People will complain about everything.

Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining and anyone can put that in any topic that is critical of something. I do like the stories they're great. I just think in general the thing that bothered me the most was the unlocks weren't very flattering to me and I doubt they would be to the new to the game types either.

Doesn't hurt me any if the site has some flaw to it. I was just curious what others thought.
  13. TheDestructor

TheDestructor IncGamers Member

I was hoping for more chocolate and rainbows.
  14. Flux

Flux Administrator

But is it? And is it effective? If I were a casual fan, sort of getting interested in Diablo 3, and I came to the REVEAL site and saw a 5 minute video with developers talking about growing out their beards and being worried about feedback to an internal alpha test, or short previews of the Book of Cain or some in-game fiction novel, or class wallpapers (coming at 90%), etc, my first response would not be, "instant pre-order!"

Clearly the class spotlight videos are meant to entice new fans while giving we hardcore fans a few bones to chew on, and I think they've done that fairly well. But I honestly have no idea what the 10% REVEAL features are for. I don't care about the banner sigils myself, but clearly a lot of fans do, and I think Bliz planned that out pretty well in terms of fan interest and actual function. But the REVEAL features have been such a grab bag of unrelated PR stuff that it just feels like they're throwing out a bunch of extra stuff they had lying around. Which isn't a bad thing, but I can certainly see people wondering why it's not more/better/smarter/deeper/etc.

15. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

I would venture that if you were a casual fan, you would focus on the "zomg awesome class videos" and tune out the boring interviews. As for the suckiness of the unlocks, well, maybe it is aimed at "real fans," or rather, at what the Blizzard PR team thinks real fans are?
  16. Srikandi

Srikandi IncGamers Member

I think it's hilarious that people expect to be entertained... by ADVERTISING :)
  17. Sky Tan

Sky Tan IncGamers Member

Yeah..i am still drooling about the SiegeBreaker video...

Sigil Banner is nice, but it wont be anything to a person if he wasnt even interested in getting the game.
  18. SteveG

SteveG IncGamers Member

19. WD pimpin summons

WD pimpin summons IncGamers Member

I never even check the website anymore.

The content I've seen so far is so uninteresting.
  20. Sky Tan

Sky Tan IncGamers Member

Same sentiments.....Hopefully they are holding the best for last.
    But seriously i doubt so , too close to release .

EDIT
    Just saw there is a TV SPot on Sunday? Hm..now who knows

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012