Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

"Damn kids with their fancy X, back in my day we had Y!" thread

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by skiffcz, Feb 9, 2013. | Replies: 40 | Views: 2172

1. skiffcz

skiffcz IncGamers Member

Pondering into the forums lately and some godly tier 7 necros going around made me nostalgic about the old days. Since Im enjoying the "grumpy old man" role IRL, I thought of this thread. Im sure Ill find lot of sympathetic diablo old farts like myself to play this.

Ok, Ill start. Recently, I found myself smiling when I had this idea about winning SuperUnique tourney by starting Classic, killing Flamespike the Crawler and then continuing LOD, but then read this line from rules - "2. Any version of LoD is accepted, but no Classic." :D I was apparently not the only one to remember this one :) So-

"Damn those kids whining about stairtraps, back in my day we had waypointtraps"

So what else was better in them old times, eh?
  2. Jocular

Jocular IncGamers Member

Rares being the ultimate items! (Though I do love how many builds can be created with the 1.10 runewords)
  3. SunsetVista

SunsetVista IncGamers Member

Back in my day, Pluto was a planet.

Do the Super Unique tourney anyway. You can still win if you get past NM cows without dying. It's for fun anyway.
  4. naranjadita

naranjadita IncGamers Member

Not really Diablo related, but still.

Code:
    function template (Y, X)
    template = "Damn kids with their fancy "&X&", back in my day we had "&Y&"!"
    end function

dim oldStr
    dim newStr
    dim punchline

newStr = "FUS RO DAH"
    oldStr = "KAME HAME HA"
    punchline = template(oldStr, newStr)

msgbox punchline
    Now, seriously.
    What really bugs me now is over-usage of certain items (one item, to be exact) - Call to Arms.
    I just can't accept having one of game's most powerful defensive buff set without a character who naturally posesses this set. Who needs to be accurate and cautious, when you can just double your life with some cheesy weapon?
    Plaladin relying on shield? Sorc relying on mobility? Screw it. Just use a CtA.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  5. japanzaman

japanzaman IncGamers Member

You could also say the same thing about Enigma, which has broken the game far more than CtA ever did.
  6. Fabian

Fabian IncGamers Member

For sure the biggest difference in the SPF since 1.13 came along is Enigma. Most of the old man yells at cloud type things should evolve around Enigma, the game is totally different today compared to 3-4 years ago.

The cta complaint isn't even an "I remember back in the day.." kinda complaint, it's just a general grievance about how cta is boring/overpowered I guess. Which it always has been, if you agree with that.
  7. Jason Maher

Jason Maher IncGamers Member

CtA actually annoys me due top the short duration. I don't use it on many characters purely for this fact. I get sick of having to constantly re-cast.

Anyway, damn kids and their fancy Diablo II! Back in my day, we were excited when we found a blue item!
  8. skiffcz

skiffcz IncGamers Member

^oh dont tempt me!!! dont dont!! not only hours of playing lost in oblivion, but the hassle of installing W95 again! On the other note it has to be added that back in my day, we didnt have to go to that stupid rotten holes under kurast jungles to hear the coolest and darkest music there is, we simply quit back to menu ...

But revolving the enigma and cta rumbling, it should be noted that its not fault of these rws to be so OP. I remember when like 3 people here had enigma. These were worth their availability once. Blame 1.13 instead.

On the other hand, I cant say that about Insight, which was always cheap and thus imba from the beginning. Because back in my day, we actually put points in energy.

Btw, is it just mirage, or did sorx really got 4 mana per point in energy in some ancient classic patch, when high end spells still were for like 60 mana/cast? I would swear it was like that once ...
  9. Jason Maher

Please skiffcz, tell us more about your Diablo reminiscences...
  10. skiffcz

skiffcz IncGamers Member

Sure, how about when I PK'd your mom once?
  11. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

Back in the day the average SPF user knew what v1.09 involved so we didn't have all kinds of threads being spammed about it.

:wave: RobbyD :badteeth:

Back in the day we didn't have a 2007-joinee like skiffcz making these kind of threads/posts.
    Where is Shagsbeard, anyway?
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  12. San

San IncGamers Member

Back in the day we actually had to dream about those runes for anything fancier than Insight, yep. Unless you happened to be DC, DX or Corr, simpleminded folk that they are, they had the patience to procure wealth beyond measure of current standards. Well... now we got respcs. Hurray for casual play!
  13. Korlic

Korlic IncGamers Member

Back in 1.10, when I found a Ber at Pindle, I was in shock. I made Chains Of Honors as I knew I would never find Jah, for Enigma.

Back in 1.09 when Bowazons, Fury Zons and Nova Sorcs where the only overpowered chars.

In the original Classic where you could gamble uniques, but rares where best in most item slots.
  14. Jason Maher

I doubt my mum even knows what Diablo is.

Back in my day, The Butcher was scary as all hell and not completely lame.
  15. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Back in 1.03 Classic, the one-handed caster Sorc weapons were very different from today. No orbs, no runewords (because there were no runes) and not even Wizardspike because there were no elites.

It was pretty much a choice between:
    1. Spectral Shard
    2. Culwen's Point
    3. Wyrm's wand of the Magus
    3. Wyrm's wand of Wizardry
  16. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

17. Dazliare

Dazliare IncGamers Member

KITTEH!

I have a 1.07 4os eth GPA, do you want it?
  18. Twibz

Twibz IncGamers Member

I remember actually crying as an 8 year old when i couldnt kill Diablo with my terribly built necromancer in normal, and I mean properly roaring my eyes out! Now i just take a dump on his head!

*Those were the days*
  19. EmperorMoo

EmperorMoo IncGamers Member

I remember actually crying as a 26 year old when i couldnt kill Diablo with my terribly built necromancer in normal, and I mean properly roaring my eyes out! Now i just take a dump on his head!

*Those were the days*

FTFY. I was in my mid-20s when D2 came out. And yes kids, it WAS all fields around here when I were young. I was also old enough to drink legally when Kurt Cobain killed himself, and I remember the world long before the internet (when I was choosing a career-path, I didn't think the internet would be really useful for much, so went into Biology instead - top foresight there, go me!).
  20. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

Thank you for the offer mate, I'm trying to resist using items from other versions though :)