Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

DamConversionHeal 12 (7.00-10.00)% Damage Taken Is Converted to Life

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Benjehova, May 3, 2012. | Replies: 23 | Views: 4123

1. Benjehova

Benjehova IncGamers Member

DamConversionHeal 12 (7.00-10.00)% Damage Taken Is Converted to Life

DamConversionHeal 12
    (7.00-10.00)% Damage Taken Is Converted to Life

I was experimenting in the new Hero Planner and was able to put this Affix on 9 items.
    http://diablonut.incgamers.com/planner/6234

Giving you between 63-90 damage reduction from ALL sources.

This can't be right.

2. AurelianZ

AurelianZ IncGamers Member

Re: DamConversionHeal 12 (7.00-10.00)% Damage Taken Is Converted to Life

This is right. But you need 9 level 60+ items for this which would be really hard to get together with other decent properties.

Also, we don't really know the monster's special powers. Maybe you encounter some kind of "ignores all life buffs" champion and it will f# your world up :)

3. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

Additionally keep in mind, that this isn't a traditional damage reduction. Let's say you have 1k Life and and a monster deals 1k damage per hit. With 90% DR, you'll receive 100 damage and live. With 90% of this mod you'll receive 1k damage and die. If you would receive 999 damage then for a brief amount of time your Life would be reduced to 1 and then you would be quickly healed to 900 Life.

This is a very important distinction.

4. Sooru

Sooru IncGamers Member

Item types for this affix: Armor, Amulet, FollowerSpecial. Clicking the armor link takes to a page which simply lists all possible armor types, I wouldn't read that as a chance for it to spawn on all different armor types.

HardRock, even with that caveat, getting 90% if this stat would be ridiculous. In the case where 90% of this stat wouldn't work into 90% damage reduction you'd simply die without the stat (assuming one monster hitting, with few monsters it would be a bit worse).

Anyway you'd start a game at full hp. For most of your hp pool, this would work exactly as 90% additional damage reduction, which in addition to armor, dodge, block, self healing, and resistances would be completely bonkers.

This would make other self healing 10x better. Anybody would gladly trade one modifier per armor slot for 10X more survivability, and it would completely mess up game balancing.

This reminds me of the life leech thread, where it was assumed that one can get up to 60%? life leech. I recall seeing later that the modifier can only spawn on 2-3 different armor slots.

5. HardRock

It does mean that though. Howver it's possible, that the dataminers got something wrong.

I agree. Just wanted to remind people of that fact.

6. Sooru

Sooru IncGamers Member

Could also be that the dataminers got it right, but the data isn't representative of how it's going to work on live.

7. HardRock

Exactly. I'm fairly sure that most things we know about the affixes are correct, but I'm skeptical or even suspicious about some of them, like this affix.

8. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

I have been wondering what's the purpose of this affix as well. No way it works like it reads or then inferno is really really really hard. Mitigate 90% of the damage or die in one blow hard.

9. Neinball

Neinball <a href="payments.php">IncGamers Site Pal</a> and<

They could also just put a cap on the max value allowed like they did with DR in D2. They may cap it at say 25% or so.

10. Benjehova

Benjehova IncGamers Member

It's also possible that it isn't an instant heal which would make it much less ridiculous.

11. Scubasteven

Scubasteven IncGamers Member

This affix would make more sense if the heal was staggered over time, say 5 second or so.

12. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes IncGamers Member

Couldn't it have diminishing return like so many other stats? Then the Stat list on your char screen would show the actual % after diminishing returns.

13. Sooru

Sooru IncGamers Member

The diminishing returns in other stats are just a matter of perspective (damage reduction/time to live stuff) or introduced to derivative stats when converting for example dexterity into extra dodge chance - with it's strangely powerful peaks. I really hope Blizzard keeps their percentages true and doesn't add any "hidden" diminishing returns to MF or things like this which are labeled as per cent. If they do, they should go the WoW way and not talk about percentages at all, but ratings instead.

14. bigbootyjudy

bigbootyjudy IncGamers Member

I would assume that "DamConversionHeal" would work like almost all other damage reduction sources. You don't just add up the percentages and come to the conclusion that if you have 9 items that give 10% damage conversion each you end up with a total of 90% damage conversion. You have to multiply them separately just like dodge so you would have: 61% damage conversion.

Or am I missing something? Do certain numbers in the game stack additively?

15. Enki

Enki IncGamers Member

I'm also curious about the additive/multiplicative stacking,
    but also where this calculation comes in the order of operations for dmg (this affix would be ridiculous if the heal was calculated BEFORE dmg reductions, but I wonder if it comes after absolutely everything or not - I'll be looking for ways to get it to heal for more than the true damage we took. As others noted this affix serves as damage reduction, until you get killed in one big hit and are dead before the heal happens.

Given these 'heal x per hit' and 'heal for x% of hit' affixes, I'm wondering if monsters will have healing debuffs? the generous amounts of healing these could give might just be an offset to monsters cutting our continuous healing. This seems plausible since blizzard gave all classes healing sources.

16. bigbootyjudy

bigbootyjudy IncGamers Member

Someone in another thread mentioned that damage modification happens at the very end of the calculation, even after block. This would make sense.

17. Kinmaul

Kinmaul IncGamers Member

There's also the possibility that there is a cooldown on the heal so that it doesn't proc on every single hit. People are speculating on the most overpowered scenario for this stat which may not be the case.

18. machinus

machinus IncGamers Member

I don't think thats how these effects work. They will heal you for X% of the amount of damage you take, every time you take damage. What is ambiguous is the rate of healing, but I think the most obvious answer is that they heal at the same rate as potions do (recall health potions have a finite speed of healing).

19. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

What i don't get is that why it isn't just called damage reduction? Only scenario where it makes any difference is massive spike damage that's enough to kill you before you heal the damage back.

20. AurelianZ

AurelianZ IncGamers Member

Then it isn't really damage reduction, is it?