Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

% damage increase on weapons

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by brootusx, May 3, 2012. | Replies: 6 | Views: 1757

1. brootusx

brootusx IncGamers Member

% damage increase on weapons

Hi All,

While playing the Beta as a Barb i picked up a random weapon from memory it was white (could be wrong) with a stat that read "+36% increased damage" written in grey, not the standard blue. The weapon had no other stats save the normal DPS amount.

My question is this, do % damage increases on weapon effect all the players ability's or just the weapon?

From equipping / un-equipping the weapon my barb's over all DPS only changed by the amount of DPS shown of my new weapons tooltip. The % increase seemed to make no difference.

My first thought was it has increase only the weapons DPS and the tool tip has adjusted to suit. But whats the point in that? i thought the DPS on weapons was randomized anyway, why add this stat on the tooltip? they should just hide it in the background, its just confusing.

i finished the beta with every class and got the barb to 13, in that time i didn't see a single other weapon with a stat like this.

What does this +% damage increase actually do?
  2. LeOsTyLe

LeOsTyLe IncGamers Member

Re: % damage increase on weapons

If you increase the dmg from your weapon ( not the attack speed ), you automacly increase the dmg from your skills.
  3. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

Yes, the damage listed on the weapon is the damage after the +36% was factored in. If it didn't have +36%, the damage listed would have been lower, as you would have seen if you picked up a weapon of the same type with no +36% modifier.

Same goes for weapons with "adds damage" or "increased attack speed" modifiers - They already get factored in for the listed damage and attack speed.
  4. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

Just to confirm, yes, if something increases the stats of your weapon then your skills will get better as well. Damage and attack speed bonuses that spawn on your weapon will already be factored into your weapon's displayed damage, APS and DPS.
  5. brootusx

brootusx IncGamers Member

As i suspected.

it just seems strange to me that blizzard would put this on the tool tip as all it does is simply increase the DPS why not just increase it and leave the + % damage increase hidden in the background code same for + attack speed. i dont think the tooltip needs to have it on. just look at the weapons attacks per sec and DPS.

i can understand + fire / poison damage but the basic dmg increase i dont think needs to be shown and is confusing to my noobness.

thanks for the info all!
  6. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

Actually, elemental damage could be hidden as well, because it is also factored into the weapon's stats and the elemental type is displayed with a nice little graphic as well.

I like the explicit display of bonuses though. They help when you want to know how close to perfect item you got.
  7. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

The explicit bonuses also let you know why your sword is better than the other sword, even though both really are "just" a sword of type X.

The damage range, DPS and APS tell you how powerful the weapon is. The affixes (at least direct-damage-related ones) tell you why it has that damage, DPS and APS.