Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

D3X Level 70? New Monk Skills?

Discussion in 'Monk' started by Flux, Aug 29, 2013. | Replies: 6 | Views: 6235

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Since the max level is going up to 70 in RoS and all the existing classes are getting new skills and passives, I thought it would be a great time to brainstorm some potentials.

Active skills the sky is the limit, and we can dream up pretty much anything... that said, I think that ideally the new skills would enable new things; new build style, new play approach, etc. Not just better or modified verisons of current abilities. I'd like to see a new Mantra that does something more interesting than the current ones. Doubt we'll get it with the Crusader coming in with his own Auras, though.

Same problem with adding some Monk shield skill. I'd love that in HC, but the Crusader is getting the shield stuff.

New passives could enable new builds or styles or plug gaps in the Monk's current abilities. I'd like one that did something with health orbs, ala Gruesome Feast or Vengeance. Maybe Monk gets a DPS or Dex or movement boost from each health orb, stacking up for short term blasting?

We've often cast covetous glances at the Barb's crazy DPS boosting passives, so really any of the top 5 or 6 Barb passives would be awesome additions for the Monk, allowing passives to boost DPS instead of just defensive buffs. Even something like Brawler though, increasing damage when there are more enemies in close proximity, would be awesome. Or the reverse; bigger damage when fewer enemies are nearby and you could figure some weird way to use it to burn down elites and ubers super effectively?

monitorman IncGamers Site Pal

Mantra of The Elements.

The runes boost, cold, poison, lighting, etc. The fire rune + sweeping wind/fire storm/essence burn could be totally new build.

Mantra of Greed.

Boosts gold, items, health globe drops.
  3. Genocides

Genocides IncGamers Site Pal

Monks need a ranged attack of usefulness, my idea.

Wave of whispers: Frontal Cone attack that pierces through enemies and roots them in place for 3 seconds causing 450% damage. Range:15-65 yards(minimum range). Spirit cost: 35

Rune 1: Increases damage by 25% and knocks enemies to the sides clearing a path(exit)

Rune 2: changes damage type to fire and in addition burns enemies for 100% weapon damage for 3 seconds. Fire dot spreads to 2 adjacent targets.

Rune 3: Changes the attack to a vortex of lightning that draws up to 10 enemies from 25 yards into the point at which it was cast. (the vortex is formed where the mouse is at cast) Increases damage to 500%

Rune 4: Changes the cone attack to a Frozen nova that hits all enemies at 15-45 yards and slows them for 5 seconds.

Rune 5: Each Enemy hit by the Wave of Whispers restores 5 spirit. Up to 50 spirit.

Mantra of exhaustion:

Reduces attack speed and movement speed of all enemies within 45 yards by 20% (or whatever)

Rune 1: Also increases the pickup radius of all allies by 7 yards. (or lower maybe)

Rune 2: Increases the resource restoration of all allies by 10%

Rune 3: Reduces the movement speed effect to 10% while increasing the attack speed debuff to 30%.

Rune 4: Increases the amount of health globes that monsters drop by 50%

Rune 5: Reduces the duration of root and snare effects by 50%

Passives:
    Mantra Mastery: Increases the range of mantras by 40 yards, and increases the mantra renew bonus effect by 5 seconds.

Passive Aggressive: Increases armor based on 100% of your offhand dps.

Nourishing breath: Health globes increase spirit regen by 5 spirit per second for 5 seconds.

Wake of enlightenment: Dodged attacks have a 30% chance to increase your attack speed by 5% for 10 seconds, stacks up to 4 times.

Of course these aren't at all balanced, just some ideas.
  4. SaltyDaveIV

SaltyDaveIV IncGamers Member

According to the lore, Monks should be a hit and run class who lands insanely painful strikes then evades backwards to avoid damage. Kind of a glass cannon. The problem is, there is no such "evade" skill in the game. Possibly the kick skill could fill this role but it's far too weak in mechanism and causes more problems than good. My idea is:

New Active Skill:
    Walls of Ivgorod
    The Monk does a short-medium range backdash (similar to the DH short backflip generator skill), rises it's hands and with them spectral walls rise from the spiritual world, and following the Monks hands they clash into each other dealing ~400% weapon damage and pushing the targets towards to the other wall.

Mechanism Explained on picture:
    http://i.imgur.com/J9iOCcY.png

Rune 1: Closes the gap between the walls (reducing the area where monsters gets pushed from) but increases damage to 590 %
    Rune 2: Instead of dashing backwards, the monk dashes forward passing every monster and dealing a single strike at each's heart (100% weapon damage, 1 hit / monster), then does the same (default) clashing wall skill, covering the area behind him.
    Rune 3: When dashing back, the Monk summons rocks of a destroyed temple of the thousand and one gods above a ... yards (Wizard's Blizzard like) area in front of him, that fall on monsters dealing 430% damage, and slowing their movement speed by 40% for 3 seconds.
    Rune 4: Increase the range of the backdash (SLIGHTY shorter than the DH long range backflip), and leaves a spectral trail on your way that deals 300 % damage per second and is active for 3 seconds. The walls no longer deal damage.
    Rune 5: Summon curvy walls in front of you covering a large area, then clashing into each other (creating a circle) for 480% weapon damage. After the walls exploded, the circle they created becomes holy ground for 10 seconds, boosing your and your allies damage by 10% if then stay on it (area's size is similar or slightly larger than the Seven Sided Strike's rune on the ground or the enchantress' AoE damage boost).

New Passive Skills:
    Unstoppable Force: Increases your attack speed with 2 handed weapon by 0.5 (a 0.9 attack speed 2 handed weapon is 1.4 now for example). Increases dodge chance 1% per second if you use single handed weapons (the effect resets when you dodge an attack, similar to the DH's crit chance increase per second passive).

Immovable Object: 10% of your dextery is added to vitality. As more dexterity is covered by this passive, you'll lose dodge (100 dexterity reduces your dodge chance by 3%. Meaning if you have 3000 DEX, the skill gives you 300 VIT, but reduces your dodge chance by 30%

One With Everything (Remastered): All kind of resists now count as All Resist.
  5. Flux

Flux Administrator

I like both ideas, on principle. Looking at the classes, seeing what they do or don't do so well, and then looking at ways to fix that. And the Monk is actually pretty good on variety; SW, or TR, or Bell are the 3 main builds, and they all do somewhat different things. Steady tanking, fast movement, or really big series of expensive hits.

That said, the Monk lacks a ranged attack, doesn't have any good fast movement skills other than Tempest Rush, and as I said in the OP,

One thought on his Mantras -- just changing their names and visual style a bit would probably be helpful. Imagine if Conviction had a better name and worked differently. Same function, but instead of debuffs to monsters that makes them take more damage, what if it buffed the DPS of all characters, and was called "Mantra of Destruction" or something obvious like that. And it had a big visual effect; glowing orange Aura thing under the Monk and all party members. Everyone loved a Paladin in the party in D2 since you saw so clearly what good he was doing you, and while that mantra is hugely useful in a group, it's not obvious.

I was playing with another Monk yesterday who used Healing Mantra and I never even noticed it. Didn't need much regen since I was healing with my own abilities, and just a little buff icon on the interface is far from a prominent visual cue.
  6. Genocides

Genocides IncGamers Site Pal

I often wonder how unbalanced giving characters an additional passive slot would be and if they could balance around it.
  7. clueso

clueso IncGamers Member

1) Kamehameha like energy blast
    2)Fire Water Earth & Sky – summons four elemental spirits for xseconds to aid you in battle