Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

D3's midnight local time launch IS the worst (funniest) thing ever for Oz/NZ

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Flux, Apr 12, 2012. | Replies: 23 | Views: 2664

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

D3's midnight local time launch IS the worst (funniest) thing ever for Oz/NZ

I've been taunting Azzure with this possibility, and it's amusing enough that I must share it more widely. It's hypothetical on several levels, but just play along.

Gamers in Oz and NZ have long been vexed by Blizzard for never setting up any SEA b.net servers. They have to connect to USWest, which is like 8000 miles away across the Pacific, or else to Korea/Singapore servers, which are geographically closer, but generally have worse lag and no shared language. Sux to be them.

D3 they should have better luck playing thanks to the various anti-lag measures included in the game. But where it gets interesting is May 15th. We don't know when D3 will become available, and Bliz hasn't issued any useful clarifications, but recent semi-official rumor was that it might be midnight at the local time for every region around the world.

I find that unlikely, if only because US West coast is behind almost every other region on earth in time; it's -8 GMT; Europe is 8-10 hours earlier, Asia is 16-19 hours earlier, etc. Basically, from Irvine it's almost always tomorrow in China/Japan/Oz/NZ, etc. And it seems weird that Bliz would launch D3 everywhere on earth 8 to 10 to 20 hours before it launches in their home region. (The fact that I"m also in that time zone might be skewing my objectivity on this point.)

Still, just imagine if D3 does launch worldwide at midnight May 15th, local B.net server time. Aussies are around 19 hours ahead of USWest coast, but if their "local" server is assigned as USWest, they'd have to wait 19 hours, until evening on the 16th, to start playing. Meanwhile, people in their approximate time zone in korea, china, Japan, etc, would already have level 40 or 50 characters, since they have their own B.net servers and would have been playing since midnight the night before.

Aussies and Kiwis have long been infuriated by their lack of B.net servers... but that would be the final straw. As I told Azzure, that would be the longest 19 hours of his life, at least since the last Yahoo Serious/Crocodile Dundee movie marathon.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  2. Eagle

Eagle IncGamers Member

Re: D3's midnight local time launch could be the worst (funniest) thing ever for Auss

Infuriated would be a massive overstatement. Most of us don't care and personally I would choose to play on US servers even if Aus/NZ ones existed.

I'd be pissed if something happened that meant people in NA on the NA servers got a head start on us, but I can't see any way that would happen. I don't care about what happens on other servers (well not for a <24hr difference anyway; I'd be pissed if I lived in one of the countries that isn't getting D3 till a couple of weeks(?) later though.

I would be greatly amused if they brought the NA servers up at our midnight but only let us in and left the NA players ~18hours behind. Though there is no way in hell that will happen. :p
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  3. Autti

Autti IncGamers Member

Re: D3's midnight local time launch could be the worst (funniest) thing ever for Auss

Doesnt make a difference what time in the day we start playing Flux, as the Americans will start at the exact same time anyway. In fact i prefer it. I will get to start playing at 2pm, making a hardcore night of play way easier then starting at 1am.

I just think they should make all the servers launch at the same time, and not let China get a headstart
  4. skien

skien IncGamers Member

Servers come up for me at 5 I believe, sleep in, pick up CE, install, play for 9 days straight, die happy.
  5. spfun

spfun IncGamers Member

My understanding was the NA servers would go live at 12:01am PDT. So me in NZ, i have to wait until 7pm the 15th!

I don't mind at all, i'm WAY more worried about my relatively spikey/unstable internet connection 5.5km away from the exchange in a small town >.<
  6. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

Yeah, at 12:01 am PDT, it'll be 5pm here in Melbourne.

I've posted on this phenomenon a few times in other threads. It's the most bizarre behaviour for a midnight launch because you go to the launch, get the game, rush home, install it....and then sleep, wake up the next day, have breakfast, chill, browse some forums, have some lunch, read a book, surf the web more, THEN play Diablo 3 :p.

But hey, I'm cool with being all rested before beginning my marathon D3 playing session :p. Just as long as the game isn't all laggy on launch day, I'm happy.
  7. cozmiccc

cozmiccc IncGamers Member

Uhm.. I been saying this in various comments ever since the release date was announced. Aussie having a 18 hour headstart is nothing new at all though, this is the same case with Starcraft 2 launch as well, so by precedent alone there is strong possible that the game will launch in New Zealand first followed by Aussie and SEA shortly after. I don't know why people from NA should be furious at all... after all unlike SC2, Diablo 3 at launch is not a competitive game, there's no downside really other than envy :crazyeyes:

I actually think that local midnight launch is a better idea for Blizzard, this way they can prepare their servers for the biggest launch in NA and less people getting in all around the world at the same time... heck some people might have logged out already saving them server load.

Also Flux, Singapore is in SEA so obviously there is no Diablo 3 server in Singapore, and they speak English as the national language, which definitely a shared language with American :p
  8. fmulder

fmulder Site Contributor

Doesn't bother me at all since my CE won't arrive unitl a few days after the 15th :(

And please don't mention Yahoo Serious around here again :wink:

[​IMG]
  9. Namik

Namik IncGamers Member

But they did it with Cataclysm launch. People from Europe where able to play at 0:01am Paris Time, while Americans had to wait till 0:01am Pacific Time (people at East Coast had to wait till 3:01am). And I think the same thing was with Starcraft 2 launch (although I might be wrong here).

10. knifebunny

knifebunny IncGamers Member

I cant say that the anticipation for the game the last week worth of countdown to launch won't be the most excitement i've had about this game since it was known the game was in development. I will be seriously itching to play, that's for sure .. but I suppose another 15hours really can't hurt, and playing at 5PM as opposed to midnight sits rather comfortably for me.

A lot of people seem worried about the stability and performance of the game at launch, as everyone scurries to create their first character, accept their first quest, but at least 5PM my time .. If the servers are choppy for a couple of hours, I still have a serious wedge of playing time before I have to hit the sack.
  11. TIMMMMMY

TIMMMMMY IncGamers Member

It suits me since I finish uni at 4pm and have wednesday free :D
  12. Matora

Matora IncGamers Member

Yeah, Western Australia here... We'll have four of us set up comfortably before it launches if this is the case. Regardless we'll be playing through the first difficulty before we take a break. So we'd get through it then go to bed at a reasonable hour before resuming in the morning/next afternoon.

But I wonder how retailers will handle the whole ''I got this game and it's not working'' situation for those not aware of the servers coming up late. Seems a bad start to a great game for many not following D3 as closely as some of those here.
  13. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

Poor Australians.

Trapped on a deadly continent where 99% of animals are poisonous.
    Awesome beaches where you can't step into the water because it's filled with Sharks and Jellyfish.
    Rabbit & Frog plagues.
    Funniest english aside from Rednecks.
    Anti-gaming paradise.
    Fritzl & Hitler
  14. Matora

Matora IncGamers Member

At least the zombie apocalypse will pass us by. Quarantine is pretty strict as well.
  15. Azzure

Azzure IncGamers Member

We are also safe from rogue nuclear armed countries. Their missiles can't reach us yet. And why would they want to!!

With that said though, 90% of indonesia would swim to Australia and invade us if we were ever isolated...

I happen to live in Bondi beach and I've swam in there many times
    before a shark took my arm and leg.
  16. Fornica

Fornica IncGamers Member

17. Elly

Elly Administrator

At the risk of sending you into a rage what is Yahoo serious?

/ducks

18. TheFarxy

TheFarxy IncGamers Member

hehe, well i dont know anymore, i find it strange that blizzard release something as "GOBAL" as in you can choise what sever you like to play on freely, but not the RMAH.

then finds out that it will open servers early, this would mean that every one that have an uncrypyted version of diablo 3 could start to play on EU servers 9 hours be4 the get access in the US, and i bet 10$ that EU servers will LAG out/die if 50% of all US players join EU servers to play early.
  19. cozmiccc

cozmiccc IncGamers Member

I have been invading Sydney for 12 years.... missed that place now loll, a pity though that game price is one of the most expensive in the world and we don't even get all the international release out there.... oh well at least we got the release of New Super Mario Bros 2 days earlier than the rest of the world :D

20. nailertn

nailertn IncGamers Member

Wat :D

Anyway I find it amusing how after having waited a decade you guys get all excited over a couple of hours. Of course it is also the reason why I perfectly udnerstand it.