Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

D2 is harder

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Gurby, May 3, 2012. | Replies: 85 | Views: 6145

1. Gurby

Gurby IncGamers Member

D2 is harder

Well, atleast at the start. Just started in the new Hardcore ladder. Untwinked bow ama. So I was lv4 wandering in a cave solo in passed game, when suddenly a bow pack attacked me. I got frozen, slow movespeed, slow attack speed. And my stamina meter was out of juice. So I couldnt kite at all. No panic. Spam hp pots right. Then suddenly another bowpack got me amplified! I'm drinking like 8 hp pots and 6 rev. pots. Before I could crawl to the exit. Exiting with 9hp. Almost died in normal. I was wasnt even naked. I did had some superior armor even.

I played D3 beta with all classes and all builds. Killed Skeleton king like 100+. I never experienced this kind of difficulty in D3. I never even died, untill i remembered to test it. I'm sure Inferno will be harder. But I remember Jay showing a vid how easy D2 was in Bloodmore. D3 start is easier. Anyone not agreeing to that?
  2. BellaStrega

BellaStrega IncGamers Member

Re: D2 is harder

D2 and D3 are about the same difficulty from Blood Moor to Blood Raven and in D3 up to Skeleton King.

I think that Coldcrow in the Cave in Cold Plains is a bit of an outlier in that regard. The combination of cold enchanted + a lot of range makes her fairly difficult compared to surroundings. If your luck is bad enough, she can be harder than Blood Raven.
  3. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

Are you seriously judging difficulty by playing a game for 20 minutes?
  4. BellaStrega

BellaStrega IncGamers Member

Oops, forgot that point - obviously it's not possible to judge the entire game's difficulty from the first third of Act 1. Not sure why people keep wanting to do that.
  5. beingmused

beingmused IncGamers Member

D2's difficulty curve was not smooth at all. You would encounter spikes in difficulty in the early going - that super unique quill rat in the outer cloister, A2 sewers, Duriel (which is largely due to being the stupidest design for a boss room ever)...and then long, long swathes of uber-easiness. And then once you got your suite of abilities and had something resembling real gear in early nightmare, everything suddenly became much, much easier.
  6. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

Wasn't so much a curve as a roller coaster.

7. chriscowart

chriscowart IncGamers Member

Comparing an "equivalent" chunk of D2 to the D3 beta -- of course it's harder. This horse has been beaten...

D3's core design is to make non-hardcore gamers hardcore gamers. Blizzard and the gaming community wasn't mature enough at D2's development and release for Blizzard to adopt this mindset. That mindset is generating lasting mass appeal, which is derived from accessibility. The more accessible the game is, then the more someone will continue to play it. The more they continue to play it, the more likely they'll reach the end game and ultimately build interest in Blizzard games.

Blizzard promises an even more hardcore endgame than D2. I have faith in them to deliver.

Off-topic:
    This made me LOL. Duriel was the closest to the Butcher encounter D2 had to offer as far as surprising deadliness and speed.

8. raveharu

raveharu IncGamers Member

Comparing the D3 beta to D2's quest to blood raven, D3 is x100 harder.
  9. xploziv

xploziv IncGamers Member

if you compare D2 up to Bloodraven with D3 Beta then i say D2 was much easier. The first hard thing you get in D2 IS bloodraven (of course you can meet a pack that is a bit harder but it doesn't happen that often). I compare D3 Beta with the Countess in D2. In this regard i say they are very much alike. Depends a lot on the random packs in both cases.
  10. chriscowart

chriscowart IncGamers Member

Hmm, I guess it depends on what chunk you compare with, but I steamrolled everything in D2 and D3 beta, only dying in D2 since I've played it way longer.
  11. HerlockS

HerlockS IncGamers Member

Blood Raven was a cheat - level 10 when most players would only be level 3-4 - leave her for a while, without changing gear and come back when the field is level - you'll flatten her in 3 seconds flat.
  12. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

x100? It's x100 harder? The difference in the beginning difficulties is pretty minor, you need to re-calibrate your fanboy goggles.

13. cozmiccc

cozmiccc IncGamers Member

Why don't we save all the comparing until.... you know, when the game is actually out and we all can play it?
  14. Svetopolk

Svetopolk IncGamers Member

Actually I don't think the beginning of any game should be difficult. It should introduce you to the various core mechanics and flow of the game, not force you to bang your head against a wall.
  15. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

"Only girls use parachutes"
    "This ground is too soft"
    "I wish more of my bones were broken"
  16. JackalYYC

JackalYYC IncGamers Member

See: Dark Souls

17. Taerix

Taerix IncGamers Member

I think this was done on purpose.

Think about this...
    If you're a casual gamer and picked up D3 because it looks fun. You'll start to really enjoy it because your character seems so powerful. Then as the difficulty ramps up you'll want to stick with it because of your good first experience when learning the game.

On the other hand if you just buy the game and start playing, then all of a sudden you run into something that's unbeatable or kills you right away, that's really discouraging and a lot of people will either stop playing or at least be a little peeved that they died and have to waste time running.

It's all about that first impression and getting people hooked.
  18. Troxism

Troxism IncGamers Member

In Diablo III beta, many people died to Molten Bat bosses in the Den of the Fallen level 2. Yeah that boss and area spawned once in a blue moon, but so does a hard boss in Diablo II.
  19. Vorador

Vorador IncGamers Member

When D3 had the Arcane, Cold etc. enchanted champions in the beginning things were getting hairy. That's why they moved those for the latter acts and difficulties, so that the RNG won't screw you up completely.

Also, about the Blood Raven comparisons. If you fail to dodge Leoric's whirlwind (especially with a more fragiles class like the DH or Wizard) you could loose more then 50% of your hp. Also if you fail to clear out the skeleton you can get surrounded and outmaneuvering Leoric's teleport attack can be harder.
  20. Lord_Vega

Lord_Vega IncGamers Site Pal

God, I can't wait for August 24th! In case D3 flops (and even if it doesnt), THAT is my backup game! ;)