Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Current state of beta?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Beta Forum' started by Fornica, Dec 21, 2011. | Replies: 32 | Views: 2497

1. Fornica

Fornica IncGamers Member

Current state of beta?

Hi there.
    I've having a hard time finding serious beta press coverage on the interwebz, all I can get is youtube channel owners reading patch notes , kinda depressing.
    So what's the current state of the beta ,bug wise, especially the RMAH, which is supposed to hold back the game from getting released?
    Any beta testers nice enough to make a brief report?
  2. Tyranie

Tyranie IncGamers Member

Re: Current state of beta?

Right now they are still tweaking skills and fixing minor bugs. The RMAH still needs work but is currently up and running with blizzard bucks. It seems the rune system is not finished and their final mechanics for how it will work have not been released. The beta itself feels pretty polished, but being that it is such a small piece, there is no way to tell how far along the rest of the game is currently. We do know that in house version of the game can be played through from start to finish and that they were working on polish right now. The last few patches have included some improved voice overs and skill tweaks. To me, it feels that the only real thing holding back this game currently is the updated rune system and RMAH (and maybe Korea).

The reason you don't hear to much is mostly due to the fact that not much has happened. These small patches are much to talk about and the mechanics of the game haven't really changed. Press really fell off once the release date was pushed back. No reason to hype or get excited about something till you actually have an idea of when to expect it to come out. Personally I feel that if they rest of the game is even simi close to the polish of the beta, then this game is ready to go. Since I have no insight on what they are working on or what the rest of the game is like, I can't even begin to speculate on when we might see the release.
  3. Nizaris

Nizaris Clan Officer - US West Hardcore

The state of the game is not the factor that is holding back the release. The game is playable from start to finish, all content added. There are bugs that are being fixed because they can be - that is to say - while they wait for the actual problems to clear up.

You'll hear a release date when the Korea issue subsides, battle.net is completed as a platform, and the RMAH is 100% functional globally. The game itself and the state it is in is not the reason why it has not yet been released.

The beta is extremely polished, there are still a few bugs here and there that I see. The most recurring one is a large pillar of red that pops up in crevasses. But as far as the mechanics and gameplay - I've seen and played full-release games that see no patches ever have more bugs and play worse.

Expect a release date announcement in the next 2-4 weeks. That's my estimate, at least.
  4. Fornica

Fornica IncGamers Member

Thanks for your input.
    I heard a lot of complains from beta testers regarding RMAH. Items are not transferred into stash when bought, some items disappear when put on sale, etc...
    Is it still the same with patch 9?
  5. Nizaris

I have yet to test out the AH, but I know those were mainly bugs from when they first released it for testing. If I get some time I'll post my thoughts.
  6. HMFlol

HMFlol IncGamers Member

Not alot has changed in the last couple of months. If you are gaga for some good beta coverage, I would check out Force's Youtube channel for his walkthroughs with each class. He does full walkthroughs, skill showcases, both sexes, lore walkthroughs, etc. Check him out at http://www.youtube.com/user/ForceSC2strategy.

If you watch those vids, you are pretty much caught up. Not much is different. Still the same beta content. You can level your Blacksmith up to level 4 and a bit, however the items you can craft at that level are too high to use.

The RMAH is up and running. Still lacking a lot of features, such as sorting, and searching based on stat types. But you can buy and sell. The cap is 499.5 bucks right now I think. Obviously the market is inflated and ridiculous due to a few factors. There is little supply of good items, and everyone wants them. Also, it's like someone giving you monopoly money to buy things with. It doesn't represent how the market will be on release in any way, shape, or form.

There have been some small class changes here and there. Nothing major. More or less just moving skills to different level requirements.

But, if you are really interested in content I would look at Force's channel, as I mentioned before.

Cheers!
  7. HMFlol

HMFlol IncGamers Member

No, items are not transferred directly to stash when bought. You must go into the completed auctions list and choose the item and send it to the stash. Not really much of a problem. I have never had an item disappear, and I have sold many, many items.

8. Tyranie

Tyranie IncGamers Member

RMAH still needs better sorting and searching. It works right now, but can be a pain in the butt to find what you want. As far as the release, it was too late to get it in before Christmas so it had to be pushed back. No one really launches a game in January so it would have to be February at the earliest. The Korea issue wouldn't change it not being released before now. The rune system was completely broken and still is. Also the RMAH was causing all kinds of problems not too long ago as well. Speaking about the entirety of a game when playing a tiny demo is impossible. You cant comment on the doneness of a game until you complete a full play through of it and include endgame. Especially when the portion you play lacks MAJOR systems.
  9. Fornica

Fornica IncGamers Member

Thanks HMF, I've followed Force's channel since the beginning of beta, it indeed covers all the content available, but there are no updates on the real issues like stability, RMAH bug fixing, etc...
    Anyway from what I've heard in the posts above, we're getting close to release :)
    I wouldn't be surprised if the release date matches the beginning of MoP beta, considering the Annual Pass strategy they've chosen.
  10. FluffyTheFluffer

FluffyTheFluffer IncGamers Member

The international legal issues are the obvious hitch. Governments just don't like anything that smells like money laundering, and they like the idea of income earned in their borders that leaves without being taxed almost as much. Imagine if a major european nation raised a stink on the subject weeks after release. It wouldn't be a brand enhancer.
  11. Soval

Soval IncGamers Member

Why do people keeps saying that the content and mechanics are all done and/or it is just a matter of RMAH legal issues or the Korean ratings board that is keeping it from being released when Blizzard has said the exact opposite?

This is seriously getting old.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3710773312?page=19#362
  12. FluffyTheFluffer

Maybe because three and a half years later, people know to take these things with a few grains of salt.
  13. Soval

Soval IncGamers Member

So you know something we (and they) don't or posses evidence that they are lying to us?
  14. HMFlol

HMFlol IncGamers Member

It's a conspiracy!!! Everyone loves a good conspiracy, right?

15. Azzure

Azzure IncGamers Member

Ok I'm going to say it.

I'm far from one of the Bli$$ard conspiracy types, I'll just preface this post with that.

I read those Bashiok posts and it's the exact answer I expected them to give and the exact answer they have given before. It is not the full story, and technically it is purely a matter of perspective on whether you call it a crock of crap, or the "truth".

To understand the situation better, you need to know a bit more about the processes involved at this ending stage of development. Diablo 3, content-wise is for all intents and purposes, done. Let me explain what that actually means though, because this is where all the anti-bashiok / pro-bashiok people get confused and clash. It means that the content is in a stage where, at a moments notice, it can be completely locked up feature-wise and pruned of all out-standing development aspects and prepared for imminent release and be "ready enough" to do so. One such example of this type of pruning process would be that if the notice was given, the Rune Attunement system would be either "definitely staying" or "definitely going".

This DOES NOT mean that the game can be shipped immediately, exactly as it is. It still needs to be finalized, mechanics need to be polished, everything needs to be made crisp and ready for release. This process happens over several weeks.

What it does mean, is that the game will have all its loose ends tied and systems all finalized. This is followed by a massive crunch, where devs from other teams pitch in and polish the Sh** out of the game. It also usually means that they are ready to give out a public release date because they now have an accurate measurement of finality.

THE GAME IS NOT IN THIS PHASE. It would have been if it didn't get "delayed". Instead, the game was delayed, and as a result, the devs and designers have some extra time to add more stuff and tie up other loose ends that would've otherwise happened after release in content patches.

The game was not delayed because of content issues. The game was delayed because Battle.net and RMAH infrastructure (they are the same thing really) are not ready and are still in development.

This is where Bashiok's comments can be interpreted both ways. Because technically, the game's content is not "ready", and is still in pre-finalized state. And will remain so until all other parts of the game (aka Battle.net, RMAH, localization/classification) are ready. So Bashiok can accurately report that the game simply "isn't ready", and he wouldn't be lying. But the "real" delay is what I said above.

Technically, game content may never be ready, because there is always improvements to add and "Ready" is a perspective, not a state. That is why it just needs to get that point where it is good enough to ship and someone makes a decision that the game content can be finalized. I'm pretty sure they are passed that point. All development in game content now is simply making use of bonus time.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  16. Soval

Soval IncGamers Member

So lemme get this straight Azzure, Blizzard PR states that they do not have a release date only because the game is still being developed and they are not currently satisfied with where it is now --and not because of any other obstacles or goals-- and we are to interpret that as meaning that the game has been effectively finished to their satisfaction and that other obstacles and goals must surely be the culprit behind the delay, Blizzard is just being coy/playing with words? I don't get how that logic works.

Where is the evidence that the current work on content and mechanics is all just icing and not making cake? Because the still being worked on legendary and set items; lack of clear details on unattuned and high level runes; new, altered, or rearranged skills, runes, and passives; and new features like the Nephalem Altar, Arcane Enchanted beam thingy, etc. all say otherwise.
  17. FluffyTheFluffer

Aside from concern over the RMAH - which is very real, despite the obvious fact that international big cap corporations usually aren't anxious to discuss potential liabilities associated with future products - there's never a good reason to release a game which is a one-time 300 mil USD tops that can significantly cannibalize a title that makes that every 10 weeks, rain or shine.
  18. Nizaris

Because they are quoted that they have given the Korean rating board a full copy of the game with all content added. If all the reasons that have been mentioned prior do not convince you, this, at least, is empirical evidence. The Korean board asked for more material to properly rate the game. Blizzard responded by giving them a full copy of the game.

How would that be possible if the cake wasn't baked yet?

Anyways, all of those tweaks are easy patches, and would have been "crunch-time" material. Since crunch-time was averted in 2011, it follows that they are resting on their laurels while the real issues are resolved. In the meantime, they are taking their time with polish here and there to make that 3-hour entry (aka the beta content) is as compelling as possible. The "icing" is not content. They are small tweaks that can be addressed in a patch, or otherwise eliminated in the final stages of polish before going gold.

Bashiok says what he does because he can, and he won't be wrong. The game isn't at 100% polish level. But 100% polish does not = shippable product. They want to up the quality because other issues have afforded them that time.

19. Inarius

Inarius IncGamers Member

Think also: Blizzard planned to have a very short beta, but had to change their plans into a long beta timeframe. Why? Because the beta is not ready? No, the beta is playable, stable, here and there a few tweaks that can be done "one the fly" via future patches after releaseor even as a first-day patch. The biggest recent change was adding a new skill for monk. This cant be done after release, because people then picked their skills and Blizzard cant work on them anymore except the skills numbers (damage, duration, cooldown, ...). But the beta build we (= everyone except me) play is weeks old. Internally Blizzard is much further down on the development road.

Blizzard decided to go for a long beta because other parts of the game are not finished enough to release the game.
    - RMAH
    - battlenet infrastructure
    - some design choices on runes

The RMAH is with the rune system Blizzards powerhorse feature (like it or not, but it doesnt change this fact). The rune system is more or less finished, a few changes here and there, done. The RMAH is not and they cant afford to ship the game with a not-near-perfect version of that "feature".
  20. Soval

Soval IncGamers Member

So what you are saying is that "still being worked on legendary and set items; lack of clear details on unattuned and high level runes; new, altered, or rearranged skills, runes, and passives; and new features like the Nephalem Altar, Arcane Enchanted beam thingy, etc" are not to be considered content that needs development or show evidence that the game recently needed development, that Blizzard is wrong when they say they are still developing the game and that that is the only reason for the delay, and that factors other than game development that they have already denied effecting the release date are effecting the release date?

Resting on their laurels? Seriously?

I need an aspirin.