Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Current Classes Similar to the Monk?

Discussion in 'Monk' started by Simfish, Sep 30, 2011. | Replies: 4 | Views: 629

1. Simfish

Simfish IncGamers Member

Current Classes Similar to the Monk?

The play style and emphasis on speed and combo points (as opposed to brute force) remind me of the Rogue class in WoW. I'm not sure what the Diablo 2 equivalent is. Possibly the Druid in wolf form?

Or is this a new type of class, the likes of which we have yet to see in the Diablo series?

2. Autti

Autti IncGamers Member

Re: Current Classes Similar to the Monk?

It's kinda the Paladin and Assassin mashed together. In fact you could consider that the Assassin was torn in two to make the Demo Hunter (=Amazon/Assassin) and the Monk.

Auras=Mantras, holy healing spells and the like is the Paladin influence. The Assassin had a form of combo's but not that similar to the monk, but martial arts style skills bare a design resemblance. Obviously the traps side went to the DH.

3. starrise

starrise IncGamers Member

It reminds me of the monk in Anarchy Online. They were fast, did lots of damage, had lots of dodge (so much you couldn't be hit by even level normal mobs...that game was so broken), relatively lowish HP, and good healing abilities (not the best, but large, infrequent, instant healing).

In comparison, the D3 monk is fast, has lots of damage (as much as the other classes I hope!), lots of dodge, but not to the point of immunity, relatively lowish HP from what I can tell and large, infrequent, instant healing.

So really they're pretty similar, but can be built differently.

The primary difference I suppose would be a dearth of combo-related abilities with the Anarchy Online monk.

4. Simfish

Simfish IncGamers Member

Interestingly enough, the Demon Hunter profile is exactly how you would describe a Hunter in World of Warcraft (ranged, bow attacks with various traps in the arsenal). Of course the WoW Hunter can be very cartoon-y as opposed to the dark look and themes surrounding the D3 Demon Hunter, but the idea is the same, right?

I remember a lot of the Assassin play style was based on ranged attacks with traps, not quite the melee machine that one would expect from the Monk. But I don't think I've ever really played the Assassin the way it was meant to be played (incorporating its melee abilities as opposed to the OP and widely used trap specialization). The design and character philosophy were there though, certainly.

5. Torr

Torr IncGamers Member

I think by taking the assassin and dropping traps for paladin auras/healing, in some ways they "fixed" the assassin. I think the assassin was meant to be a close combat fighter, but often became more of this hybrid where you lay traps then rush in and kick like crazy or otherwise do your thing depending on your build. It always seemed like they had to be "built wrong" to work well. The problem with the assassin being more of a front line fighter is you had to worry about survivability. By moving traps to the DH and giving them healing and other forms of protective circles and mantras, the monk I think is what the assassin was meant to be.