Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Crusader first reactions?

Discussion in 'Crusader' started by Flux, Aug 21, 2013. | Replies: 67 | Views: 14954

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

I'll post a main page vote in a day or two once we've seen more info and formed more opinions, but from the first screens and gameplay... what do you guys think? I wished we'd gotten one of those intro cinematics, like we did with the DH, Monk, and Wizard reveals. Cheesy as the DH's was, they did give us good intros to the characters and their background stories. We got none of that with the Crusader and not even any concept art.

Appearance: Meh. Looks pretty generic to me. Remember pre-d3 all of that "we took character archetypes and gave them a twist" talk? Looks like the twist was ruled out for this guy; he's straight Paladin 2.0 and looks like the Templar in new armor. I await some evocative concept art eagerly. I wasn't a huge fan of the D2 Paladin's look, but at least he had the knight in shining armor thing going. Chrome and gleaming and different than the others. I don't see that for the Crusader yet.

Lore: Not much to say, since they didn't tell us anything yet. Generic good guy knight out to battle evil? Do we at least get the stereotypical "inflexible zeal against evil leaves him unable to accept shades of gray" character type?

Combat: Well, if you missed the Paladin and shield abilities you should be happy. As my main in D3 is a Monk with a shield (Hardcore) I found most of the visuals quite similar. Melee attacks with a sword/shield and glowing rune things on the ground? Yeah, I've done that.

I'm not negative on the class, and might enjoy him and playing him, but I don't feel at all seduced by the presentation thus far. (BTW, the Crusader was the name of the Paladin 2.0 class in Bliz North's D3, back in 2001-2005. Concept art I saw back then had amazing awesome armored looks; gleaming lacquered chrome perfection.)
  2. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Meh. Feels like too much of a hybrid between classes that are already in D3. Even his shtick, "tanky face" is already the Barbarian's shtick. Need to see more of his skills/passives to see if he has an interesting gameplay element to him.
  3. Exile

Exile IncGamers Member

I like him for the role that he fills. And I appreciate the "grittiness" of the character as opposed to the Paladin in D2. My confusion lies in the fact that the monk is already pretty "holy" at the moment, so I am curious to see what differentiates the two.
  4. Ivan E

Ivan E IncGamers Member

It was gonna have to be a STR-based melee class for balance purposes, so eh.

I care more about the skills being fun/responsive/innovative than I do about any kind of character concept, since it's not Blizzard is going to make any hay with characterization or anything like that.
  5. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes IncGamers Member

Not very creative. That much is sure.
    We dont know a whole lot about the class though.

In the end, what I find most interesting will be the new skills for the existing classes. Hopefully they try to recreate some of the classes that currently have a hard time living up to what they 'were supposed to be'. Mostly the wizard, and to a lesser degree DH. Hell, the Barb too, since he wasn't supposed to just be whirlwind incarnated I guess.

If only they had just bothered to fix the main stats, that wouldnt even have been an issue to begin with :D
  6. iAmAhab

iAmAhab IncGamers Member

All I know is that the mafakka flails around with a flail, that's all I need to know.
  7. themeros

themeros IncGamers Member

Very innovative!!!

...NOT.

Even the name is desperate to be "badass". Overlaps Monk and Barbarian too much. It was necessary since there's a lot of ranged/magic already, but this is just "meh". They were lazy and safe, again.
  8. tommerbob

tommerbob IncGamers Member

The Paladin was my favorite class in D2. I played him far more than any other character. I'm glad they are doing a shield-based character, but this new Crusader just strikes me as....meh. I think he needs more bells, whistles, and shinies.
  9. Flux

Flux Administrator

I'm curious to hear more about the intended class role. So he's meant to be tankier than a Monk or Barb, but not as fast/damaging as a Barb, and not as fast/AoE as a Monk? I dunno; obviously there will be a variety of builds, but I guess he's going to be more CC or debuff abilities with Shield Bash and such, and holy-style magics? Which will differentiate from barb and Monk in what way?
  10. TheDestructor

TheDestructor IncGamers Member

They played it too safe, so I'm mostly indifferent toward him. I'm sure there will be some surprises when you get him into your hands and get to mess around with him, but he certainly won't be the reason I'm buying expansion, if I do buy it.

Flails are cool though.
  11. Tulklas

Tulklas IncGamers Member

I think the concept is cool, really cool. You don't always need some special twist or what not, sometimes that detracts rather than adds. The knight in shining armor is a very common and popular arch-type for a reason.

The lore for this guy seems to be kind of a "special forces" branch of the paladins to use a modern term.

The armor set they showed in the preview was a little uninspiring but still, not bad. The animations looked good which are as important if not more so than the different armor looks. I have high hopes they will bring in "gleaming lacquered chrome perfection". Although with the somewhat cartoony graphics a real sharp gleaming look is hard to pull off, unfortunately. I'm sure at least a few of the at least 9 armor sets will be wins.
  12. yovargas

yovargas IncGamers Member

I was about to say the same thing. Sadly it looks like they have no intention on doing this at all (which will make Loot 2.0 another bandaid, not a fix).

As to the new Palad...um, I mean Crusader....he looks like a Monk with extra shield skills. It's, um, okay I guess. Though why they can't just say he's the Paladin.....
  13. Flux

Flux Administrator

Quote from Josh in the Gamestar video interview, about the Crusader: "A knight in battle-scarred armor."

Seems to rule out shiny Paladin style chrome plating.

It's funny; when the Demon Hunter was debuted I thought the costume was too ornate and complicated, for a class that's supposed to be living in the wild, salvaging materials from demons, roughing it, etc. And every outfit has 20 leather straps and buckles and shiny metal and such? Is there a Demon Hunter valet to polish and mend all that? And now we get the knight in shining armor, except he's not shiny?
  14. Exile

Exile IncGamers Member

They could of even shipped this out as a paladin (or "THE" paladin) 20 years later and I would of bought it. It's an interesting idea that his efforts to defend the light have taken a toll on him physically, but hasn't shaken him spiritually.
  15. Angel_of_Wrath

Angel_of_Wrath IncGamers Member

Considering the Paladin was my first ever D2 character, I have great anticipation. I wanted a shield-based character where the shield has damage values incorporated, so I like that part. Hopefully auras make a comeback, along with a non-bugged Charge.

Of course, he is kind of shoe-horned into the existing melee classes.. but I see the reasons as:
    1) Stat balance. Needed a STR based class. Sword/board archetype was missing. Leading to...
    2) Fan service. The paladin is by far (anecdotally) the most-requested D2 character re-hash. Then you have...
    3) Location. The story is set in Westmarch and the Knights of Westmarch were the Paladin's origin.

It all makes sense. I'll definitely roll one (provided we get more char slots) on D3X release.

Interested to hear the backstory. I did a writeup for a D3 beta thread where the other STR class was a former paladin commander from Westmarch who used shiny armors and shields with damage. Just called it "Knight", and the resource was "Order" not "Wrath", but he did lose his faith in Zakarum after losing his hometown/family in the previous games' events. The reveal was that he was a descendant of the ancient Sons Of Rakkis. If that shows up somewhere, think I'll apply for a writer's job at Blizzard in a devious plot to usurp Chris Metzen. :p
  16. Aveona

Aveona IncGamers Member

I will admit I am pretty unimpressed. Partially because I am biased and was really hoping for a shape shifter or druid type class to fill in that strength based spot.

I'm not saying I won't ever play one, I might enjoy playing one quite a bit someday. It's just a paladin type class was really really far down my list of wants for a new character class. Partially cause I already kinda associate the monk kinda with that. Then again, maybe this will open up pathway to getting the necromancer back some day. If the monk and crusader are not too similar in their eyes, then the witch doctor and necromancer shouldn't be either.

I really liked a lot that they showed, it's just the crusader really kinda sat wrong with me. It was the only really major drawback. Who knows it might end up being my favorite class someday down the road, just right now I'm pretty uninterested. Unless something drastic changes my opinion I will probably not be rolling one till I kinda get bored with the expansion. Still who knows. I'm willing to keep an open mind, just not what I would have wished for.

Sorry if that was a bit long winded with no real point. The class just feels off to me, I have a hard time voicing why. Just not sure.
  17. Smash

Smash IncGamers Member

Game was missing Knight/Shield user character so it is fine even if it is not original and it feel expansion theme but you know what would fit this death theme? Rathma cult, we need necromancer back :p.

Anyway lack of second class is what making this one meh as weird it may sound.
  18. MindGeyser

MindGeyser IncGamers Member

I like some of what the monk does, but I hate how it operates, so I'll give it a try. Otherwise, very generic, but I didn't expect better.
  19. sneakytails

sneakytails IncGamers Member

Looks far more like a carbon copy of Halbu from D2 act 4 Pandemonium fortress. Same massive armor and everything.

Gonna laugh real hard if one of the crusader emotes is "Vat do you need?...."

Perhaps Jamella and Halbu hooked up on the lonely Pandemonium fortress and this is the son.

Like others have mentioned, I too would like to see a cleaner armor look, something that's acid etched and lacquered...Cleaner looks are nice sometimes....
  20. Tigerpaw

Tigerpaw IncGamers Member

I like the look of the Crusader...I like the cliche "Knight in armor" appearance, plus the female Crusader looks really badass! I'm a bit biased in that I love to draw/paint warrior women in full plate/heavy armor – I haven't drawn any of them in a while but I'm inspired now. Would love to see some concept art of the female Crusader.

I hope that the resource shown in the gameplay vids is just a placeholder – a dual resource system would be really interesting, where one needs to be generated (ala Fury) and handles your weapon attacks, while the other resource auto generates and handles all your shield/defensive abilities. When both resources are at max, you have access to a new set of skills that use both of them at once. Maybe they tested something like this out already and scrapped it...giving this new class a single, simple to manage resource seems to lack the creativity shown in the original 5 classes.

Lastly, I'm glad to see the preferred weapon of the Crusader isn't a sword – flails are really intimidating in appearance and there's a lot of ways to make them look really nasty.