Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Critique my classic forge rusher build

Discussion in 'Classic' started by WebDragon, Dec 12, 2005. | Replies: 25 | Views: 1919

1. WebDragon

WebDragon IncGamers Member

Critique my classic forge rusher build

Hi all,

I began working on a classic forge rusher. I went through the various builds stickied here as well as in the sorceress forum, but I didn't find anything that caught my eye, so I decided to try something different. I designed a build to be:

Item independant - Don't want to mf in classic.

Quick Boss Killer - Especially in full games.

Durable - To help with lag-plagued servers and frequent, dangerous teleporting.

Can be completed by level 60 - I don't want to spend a lot of time leveling the char.

I came up with this sorcy:

20 FO
    1 Cold Mastery
    10 Static
    20 Energy Shield
    10 Telekinesis
    1 Teleport
    8 Prereqs

70 points - 12 from quests = 58.

Completed by level 59.

Stats: 290 + 15 from quests = 305

Str: 75 (For 3 Pdiamond Tower Shield)
    Dex: Base/51 (Depending on whether I find a Shard or not)
    Vit: 100 (Not sure here really, need input)
    Nrg: 160 (Again, not sure how much I need here either)

Results:

Item Independant? Yes, most sorcy builds are.

Quick Boss Killer? Yes, level 10 Static should be able to sliver all bosses rather quickly, especially in classic without the Static limits in nm and hell. Bonus points for Static keeping up with monster hitpoints in full games. The FO has enough of a punch in it to finish them off.

Durable? Definitely. A solid Energy Shield, coupled with a good shield and decent resists make the build geared toward survival as opposed to killing power.

Can be completed by level 60? It looks like it. Although obviously I should get to level 80 to max out Telekinesis and Static, I'm hoping it won't really be necessary.

Thoughts? Input? Can this work?
  2. Rawly

Rawly IncGamers Member

For hell forge rusher do you just taking ppl to act 1 hell then move them to lod to finish it off?

If so you just need to be able to kill diablo in nm, which any lv 50+ orb sorc can do, how many ppl you rushing just one or full game?

If more than about 2 or 3 you will need some cold mastery to kill in nm cs quickly and seis in nm diablo can be a pain, sometimes cold immue, and if you have 4+ people in game it is difficult to static him down to a low enough ammount to kill with another low level skill.

Can give more advice but is pointless until we know how far you taking ppl.
  3. Noite Escura

Noite Escura IncGamers Member

Try this:
    20 Orb
    10 CM
    20 Telekinesis
    15 Static
    1 Teleport
    6 Pre-reqs
    Buy a +2 Skills +3 Energy Shield from a vendor (Ormus in Act3 NM is the best place to buy +2 staves). With +1 (easily got from Amulet) you got 45% ES that will last for more than 7 minutes. Switch manually, cast then get your gear back. That way you save 3 requisites for Energy Shield. You can even put some points to it, but should get most of it from a staff. Points to Telekinesis are more important than ES because of the mana comsumption.
    Also, I don't think 75 STR is worth for a Tower Shield. Stick with a Gothic or even a Large one. As for dexterity, with Orb you may not need more than 40 FCR. That is achievable using a wand and rings. You can save up some stats that way that could go up to vitality.
  4. WebDragon

I'll have to get to act 3 hell before converting.

Other than the bosses, the areas I'll be clearing as opposed to teleporting through would be:

Maggot lair 3: Boss room - Norm, NM, Hell
    Claw Viper Temple 2 - Norm, NM, Hell
    Arcane Sanctuary: Summoner Platform - Norm, NM, Hell
    Tal Rasha's Tomb: Staff Room - Norm, NM, Hell
    Travincal - Norm, NM
    Durance of Hate 3: Meph's Corner - Norm, NM
    Chaos Sanctuary Norm, NM

Most games will be 2 to 3 player games. So the build should be geared towards that. However, I don't want the build to flounder in bigger games, namely 8 player games.

Also, you're right. I forgot about De seis' annoying habit of spawning immune to cold. This could be a problem. Perhaps a staff with +3 meteor?

That would definitely save me some points. I was hoping for at least level 8 ES, which is just before diminishing returns kick in, but that extra 10% absorbtion won't be worth the 4 points.

Also, could I not siphon some points from CM and Static (take 5 from each) to put into, say firewall (most dmg per point IIRC), to finish off cold immunes? Would it have enough kick at say level 8 to finish off a static'd nm de seis?
  5. purplelocust

purplelocust IncGamers Member

Why not use Durimules to avoid needing to get the staff? Making one for each difficulty will pay off if you are doing this often enough. Here is a thread discussing it from the Newcomer forum
  6. Rawly

Rawly IncGamers Member

7. fledgeling

fledgeling IncGamers Member

0 points in warmth?
  8. Noite Escura

I think level 5 Meteor or Firewall is more than enough to kill him at NM. Firewall would be your best bet. If your'e going to put hard points in it, put one in Mastery and rest into it. The staff can be a good idea also in this case.
    But...hmmm will you be leveling your own chars here with another comp? Or are they real people? If the later, you can surely ask them to finish off De Seis and Cold imunes?
  9. Zodijackyl

Zodijackyl IncGamers Member

You only need one static. Skip ES on a rusher, just go for 70ish energy, low str, and rest in vit. Try to max orb, ice bolt, and a good amount in CM, only one in static, one in warmth, and maybe a few extras in teleport to cut down mana costs. Go for a 3soc large shield rather than a tower to reduce STR, or go for The Ward.

Good cheap rush gear would be:
    Full Irathas
    Twitch
    Shard
    FCR/Mana rings, res if needed
    3soc large OR The Ward
    Boots with whatever you want

70FCR, 85 all resists in hell if the rare rings/boots are good with The Ward, but there's less of a need for resists on them if you use a 3soc.

Level 60 is a low goal. I've done 1-84 in one day, 1-70 should be easy.

I would make a cheap rusher build, but I don't want to have to put up with more kids from LoD telling me how much classic sucks, then the ones on NL asking for dupe boots/rings, then trying to paypal my PP legit boots.
    Try moving to classic for a bit, the item system is much better.
  10. WebDragon

Thanks for the replies.

I forgot to mention Warmth, I'll probably put 1 hard point there.

Also, I'll be rushing my own chars mostly, so I'll need to do all the killing myself.

About ES. Because of my 300ish ping, my lag would make sure that I get smacked around on a regular basis. Obviously, FCR and FHR will be a great help in this area, but it doesn't matter if I die from 2 hits in nightmare.

As for Static. I agree that maxing it would be overkill, but I plan to use it on a tele/static/tele/static basis, so *some* radius will be very useful.

About the levelling. I don't understand how you can get to 70 in one day, let alone 84. I can see how it can be done if you manage to:

1. Get someone to rush you.
    2. Find full games for levelling.

So far I've found neither. I've made dozens of trist games and I don't get even 2 people in the game, usually no one shows up. In LoD, trist games fill up faster that "free here" games. I've had no such luck on classic ladder. Advice?
  11. Rawly

Rawly IncGamers Member

1. if you can run 2 accounts at once make an enchanter to lv 60 max enchant,warmth,fire mastery, 1-5 in orb, 1- teleport +prereqs this will give you about 800-1000 fire damage with some + skills items. Mine gives 1900 fire damage with a battle command shout giving lv 33 enchant.
    2. get yourself a ravenclaw unique bow, this converts the fire damage to a radius effect wiping out big groups of monsters like cows in 1-2 hits.
    3. get yourself a death's set belt and gloves for 30ias
    4. find yourself any normal game with 5 or 6 ppl 3 or 4 is ok with a high level sorc in game ppl will come and start begging for help just ignore, or help if you are feeling nice :)
    5. get yourself any bow you can equip and clear the cave in cold plains this will take you from 1-7 in 5-10 mins. Equip deaths set when you can.
    6. go to trist and clear solo, for another 2 levels, then move to outer cloister, until level 10-11, then inner cloister clear mobs there and you should be lv 12+ if you got it use angelics amulet,armour,ringsx2 you will be indestructable now in normal, with +1 skills +75 life, fire res, and 200-300 defence, at level 12 lol
    7. kill andy with enchant sorc who has 1 in orb and go act 2, rush to arcane and kill until you're level 15 then equip raven claw now you could go wipe out cow games but you dont get any exp of note until lv 20 so keep killing, arcane,tombs or even flayers act 3 from lv 18+ once you are lv 20 time to upset the Noobs.
    8. open a cow portal in normal game and wipe it solo if you do this in a 8ppl game you will go from lv 20-26 (in one game) in like 5-10 mins (it is important here to tell everyone when you level as this will annoy them that you leveling so fast ;) ).
    9. now it is upto you, you could rush through to hell and fill in 8 ppl cs games this can be a bit annoying especially if your laggy you die very quickly there. Or alternatively you can kill nm cows to lv 50 using method above soloing in 5-8ppl games this is occasionally dangerous as some cows are fire immune and or very fast = death or leave game. My personal favourite is to do nm flayers upto lv 45 then go hell cs. Mainly because you always get ppl messing up your cow game by running around inside and wanting to party.

Hell cs is like 1 level a game upto lv 60 which in a good game is <2 mins so go figure the maths. slows down after that but level 79-80 is only about 10-15 games so not that slow.
  12. tintin

tintin IncGamers Member

At times nm De Seis can be cold/fire immune, i cant remember last time seeing cold/light immune, you can static then finish off with one point in lightning and light mastery.
  13. fledgeling

hmm
    making an enchanter just to make a sorc for rushes?
  14. Noite Escura

I think he's explaining how to level up to 70 in one day.
  15. Clawback

Clawback IncGamers Member

Since you can have 2 charactors in the game at the same time, don't worry about getting your mule to Hell.
    The fastest way to generate Hell/Hellforges is to use your classic rusher to plow your mules through to act 2 NM, then convert them over. Use your LOD rusher to continue on through the NM forge, then into act 5. Idle in the "Join game" screen until you see a "Baal for Quest" game, and join with your mule. Then enter with your rusher, Party everyone up, and do the Spade work to kill Baal. Your Mule is now through to Hell.
    I've never had to wait more then 5 minutes to find a "BaalQ" game

A level 60 Classic Rusher will handle this well (Mine does) if you concentrate on Orb Damage - more CM, less Static for your build.
    Although I agree with much that's been posted here, I've been doing Classic rushing for over 1 Year - and I would suggest that your Lvl 60 Sorc will get smoked hard in Act 2 hell - I've used a Lvl 70, and had to bring in an 80+ Hammerdin to save the day quite often.
  16. Rawly

Rawly IncGamers Member

Yes i was, it is not easy to level to 80 in one day if it is your first character in classic, unless you know of someone that has enchantress that will help you and then will do the necessary rushing.
  17. CraftOfWar

CraftOfWar IncGamers Member

Can I get a second confirmation for this? I've wasted 2 mules by converting them after reaching Act 1 Hell and Act 2 Hell, only to find they can't get into LOD Hell games. After those failures I've been making them Baron(ess) before converting, which worked. I've only recently found out that I can get away with just getting them to Act 4 without killing Diablo, and I've successfully confirmed this. Sorry for doubting you, I'm just really paranoid about wasting another mule.

As for my 2 cents regarding the build, I use a clvl 84 Fireball-Orber with 1 static, 1 nova, non ES. The only Cold&Fire immunes I need to worry about are NM De Seis (who I can go toe-to-toe with no risk) and 1 or 2 Hell Trav Council (who I can use lvl1 static on without letting them melee hit me, which can be a 1 hit KO if he's Extra Strong/Cursed/Spectral). I teleport through eveything (which I only recommend if you have atleast 70 FCR) and I've yet to die once in the ~20 rushes I've performed since making her.

In my experience for leveling speeds:
    [60-80 CS runs] is faster than [24-59 No/NM Cow runs] is faster than [1-23 normal playing until the start of Act 3]
  18. WebDragon

The way it works with converting is that the game counts how many acts you completed and converts that. So, If you reach hell act 3 in classic, you would have completed 8 acts. 3 Normal, 3 NM, 2 Hell.

When you convert, the game does the conversion as follows:

Norm 1-4 = Norm 1-4
    NM 1 = Norm 5
    NM 2-4 = NM 1-3
    Hell 1-2 = NM 4-5

So it counts as if you had already completed act 5 nightmare, so it puts you in act 1 hell when you convert.

As for the levelling, it's been mind-numbingly slow. So far I've only gotten to level 18. Once I hit 20 and begin cowing, I should pick up speed.

About the build, I decided to do something like this.

20 FO
    10 CM
    5 Static
    16 Telekinesis
    1 Teleport
    1 Warmth
    10 Firewall
    1 FM
    7 Prereqs
    71 Total => by level 60

FO should be decent enough now with 10 CM. IIRC, 16 Telekinesis is the 1 for 1 breakpoint for ES. Firewall would be doing 664-676. Should be enough to deal with Cold immunes. The only problem that I could have would be with dual cold/fire immunes, but I don't remember running into any that I must kill.
  19. CraftOfWar

CraftOfWar IncGamers Member

OMG That's fantastic. Act 3 Hell is where I start to slow down exponentially. Without having to do Hell Trav and Meph I can shave like 15-20 minutes off my rush times @.@ *cries*
  20. fledgeling

I would put at least 10pts in warmth, unless you like to buy mana pots often.
    Or maybe Im just wrong..
    My MF sorc with 120pts in mana and level 10warmth has to drink a lot just to find mef if the level is big and you are talking about teleporting + fighting..