Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Critical hit damage and hydra, blizzard, ect.

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by Ghoulz, Feb 14, 2013. | Replies: 8 | Views: 6946

1. Ghoulz

Ghoulz IncGamers Member

So, I have 2 wands. One has 130 less damage and critical hit damage, and adds 10000 more damage to my stat. My other wand does 130 more damage and has no crit damage, but ends up being 10000 less damage.

Are non-crit attacks like hydra boosted by your overall damage, or just raw damage from weapon damage + intelligence...?
  2. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

I can't answer this for sure, but since crit damage increases your DPS as soon as it is equipped, I'm assuming it increases your white damage too.

Example:
    If I would equip no gear at all, except a 1dps wand with 1.000.000% critical hit damage, I'm sure you'd still kick *** without needing to crit.
  3. NightCraweler

NightCraweler IncGamers Member

As the name implies critical hit damage ONLY affects your crit hits.(note:while some spells such as disintegrate won't show crits they do still crit)
  4. Ghoulz

Ghoulz IncGamers Member

crit and crit damage, along with attack speed boosts aren't improving blizzard and hydra?
  5. NightCraweler

I read somewhere that hydra has a separate static chance to crit, so I am unsure if your crit damage will affect it or not. It's been a while since I used hydra but I don't think attack speed helps it. As far as blizzard is concerned I do not know if it has the same exceptions that hydra does or not. Though it is not recommended to use bliz with high aps. Personally though I recommend testing it as I'm not entirely sure I'm correct.
  6. Ghoulz

Ghoulz IncGamers Member

Well, just have witching hour on and a ring for attack speed, and 140000 damage. Not sure how quickly I should be able to melt stuff on MP4 farming.
  7. Kanji

Kanji IncGamers Member

I've heard varying reports about Hydra. The consensus everywhere seems to be that Hydra doesn't benefit from the CHD on your sheet, and may or may not benefit from APS. Some people say that higher APS won't make hydras attack faster, but does increase their damage per hit (meaning it'd do close to whatever your sheet dps is, if you don't have lots of CHD), while others think it doesn't work at all. In my experience, APS seems to provide higher damage. Hydras do crit at a rate equal to whatever your character's CHC is, but their CHD is locked at +50%. They have a proc scalar of 0, but I'm sure that's something you already knew.

A lot of people also think that Hydras other than Venom do not gain a damage boost from Cold-Blooded (and I've heard some people say that even Venom doesn't work right, if at all), so bear that in mind if you're going to use Blizzard. I've seen some Blizzard statements that imply that this and the stuff about CHD are true.

Blizzard is much simpler. It deals 85% damage/second that is applied at a fixed rate of 4/second, meaning 21.25% damage per tick. ASPD will (obviously) make you cast the spell itself more quickly, does not increase tick rate the way it does with channeled spells or Twisters, and also does not increase damage per tick. In other words it doesn't benefit all that much from ASPD. Each tick of Blizzard should get full benefit from both CHC and CHD.
  8. jrsilva

jrsilva IncGamers Member

I am using an Archon build on my HC wizie, and I do 255k dps buffed. When I use the left click attack on Archon "Arcane Strike) i see crits up to 750k. But when I use the right click (desintegration thingie) its all white hits, no crit display. My question is: Archon desintegration skill allows crits but doesn't display them, or are crits somehow nerfed with that skill?

Cheers
  9. NightCraweler

The thing with crits and disintegrate looks like nothing more than a display bug to me. That is yellow numbers are showing white.