Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Crit based procs + AoE skills

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Beta Forum' started by HardRock, Mar 23, 2012. | Replies: 3 | Views: 1198

1. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

Crit based procs + AoE skills

For a while now, I was very interested to know how crit based bonuses interact with AoE skills, so I've finally decided to test this.

I choose the Wizard for this task, since I believe it's the only class that has such a bonus in the beta, namely AP on crit. The way I did my testing was to use skills and then move my mouse over the resource bulb to see how my AP changed after I hit the enemies. I recorded a video of this and then watched the critical moments frame by frame.

I tried Arcane Orb and Wave of Force multiple times, but to my surprise they generated absolutely no bonus AP on crit. To see of the affix itself works or not I tried Magic Missile as well and I did get the bonus AP with it. It would be great if someone else could reproduce this though.

Is this a bug? Maybe. If someone could create a thread about this on the official forums and ask, I'd really appreciate it. The account I use with the beta isn't mine and I don't want to post in someone else's name.

Is there any other similar bonuses available in the beta that I missed and could test?
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  2. Bourei

Bourei IncGamers Member

Re: Crit based procs + AoE skills

I tried testing this with Critical Mass/Arcane Torrent/Electrocute on Skeleton King a couple patches ago, the overall CD reduction I got from the 12-15 sec Nova/Wave was around 2 seconds per 12-15 second duration, so the number of crits I did and the number that counted towards the reduction via critical mass, put it at about the same level as the other 15% CD reduction passive.

I'll try testing the AP on crit modifier as well, and see if it works only with signatures or with other skills as well.

BTW using Arcane Torrent on Skeleton King with a 1-5 DPS weapon, when he summons his spawn groups is the easiest way I know of in beta to test crits. Though it might be harder now that he hits harder... lol
  3. Elfik

Elfik IncGamers Member

I know reflexii tested critical mass as well and reported his findings in this thread: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/...archon-info-analysis/page2&highlight=reflexii

Unfortunately it's unclear if he got critical hits or not from arcane orb, and whether of not they reduced the cooldowns, although he clearly did from spectral blade.

Also Bourei, were you getting critical hits that reduced cooldowns exclusively from electrocute or are you sure that arcane torrent generated some as well?

And Hardrock, you're saying that arcane orb and wave of force generated crits, but failed to proc the + X AP on crit?

Hopefully this is a bug. Maybe it's only supposed to work with signature spells, but that would be weird, and doesn't explain how similar effects work with other classes.
  4. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

From that thread:

It seems to me that he did get a cooldown reduction with AO, only it wasn't a -2 sec one. It's possible that I'm misunderstanding what he wrote though.

Anyway, looks like Critical Mass works with multi-target skills, although we didn't learn from reflexii's testing if the cooldown reduction is calculated per crit on targets or per skill use.

It's interesting, that Critical Mass worked with a multi-target skill that's also a Signature skill. Can it be a coincidence, that AP on crit triggered only with Magic Missile, another Signature skill? I would need to test this with a single-target AP spender that's capable of critting, of which there's none in the beta. Arcane Torrent is similar to Spectral Blade though, so I'll try it instead.

That's exactly what I'm saying. I asked Superstate to create a thread about this on the official forums. So far no Blue responded: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4254457565

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012