Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Crazy/Broken 4 player PvP strats

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by kar, Mar 30, 2012. | Replies: 11 | Views: 1099

1. kar

kar IncGamers Member

Crazy/Broken 4 player PvP strats

First let me get this out of the way: I'm calling it right now that the best group for 4v4 pvp will be Monk, Monk, Monk, Monk. Ok, now on to the post :)

It seems to me that stacking a team with 4 of the same character could lead to some ... interesting... results. Imagine joining up for a few rounds of pvp and your first 6 matches look like this:

• You're approached by a team of 24 wizards (4x wizard with mirror image- duplicates)
    • Zombie Nuke--16+ zombie dogs explode in your face for an instant AOE 3200%+ weapon dmg
    • Whenever you attack an opponent, either melee or ranged, you get dealt 240% of that damage back (4x monk with mantra of retribution- retaliate) Ok, I admit that I don't know how mantras interact with one another in multiplayer.
    • You see 4 demon hunters approach, you try to move but they each have stunning grenades, stunning arrows, stunning knives, and stunning good looks.
    • Everything looks clear on your trusty 16:10 monitor... then you're hit with 4 rays of frost dealing 1000s% weapon damage.
    • More ridiculous stunlocks, including 4 barbs with ground stomp, throwing hammer, bash-clobber

After writing this post it occurs to me that there might not be 4v4 pvp anymore. I haven't heard much on this lately.

2. Sex

Sex IncGamers Member

Re: Crazy/Broken 4 player PvP strats

I believe that is why Blizzard held off on bringing the PvP with the release of the game. They are not satisfied with it's current condition and therefor are taking time to release it in the upcoming D3 patch when they feel it is good in ready.

I am sure the Blizzard team is taking all these details into consideration and obviously know about the 4 stun combo. I wouldn't doubt they just want us, the players, to have some fun when the game comes out and give us a upper hand against hell's minions.

3. Galabab

Galabab IncGamers Member

I believe this will naturally balance itself.
    For example while 24 wizzards seem overpowered, a team with some kind of buff and cc character and "only" 18 wizzards (For example 3 wizz + 1 barb) could be superior. So eventually the most balanced allround teams might come out on top statistically.

4. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

Not a problem. Those duplicates don't deal any damage, and it will be very apparent who's the real player if you watch their movement and/or their HP levels. I think Mirror Image is primarily a PvE skill.

Also, 7 seconds duration. :)

And then what happens for the next minute? :)

Same Mantras don't stack. Tried this in a previous version of the beta, when Mantra of Evasion was available.

Huh? :)

5. DexA

DexA IncGamers Member

Thats why they've decided to implement team deathmatch, so yes you could pull off those crazy moves, but most of them are either on long cooldowns or have high costs. The guy who got wtf0wned just respawns and is back ingame hunting you while you are recovering. Of course there wil be unfair builds or group combinations but this is what makes it fun in the first place. I'm sure blizzard will balance some of this stuff if it manages to break the game. Also there is matchmaking which will put such groups up in the rankings, throwing them into games against equally strong foes.

6. Cincinnati

Cincinnati IncGamers Member

Well, you gotta account for damage reduction and resistances aswell. People had quite crazy damage output in D2 aswell but at the end of the day after all reductions are done it was not excessively high.

7. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

i assume this is a big part of why pvp was held off. i assume there will be major changes to skills for pvp

8. Buu

Buu IncGamers Member

There is a rune that gives them some damage (10%, but still)

9. HardRock

But then you lose the larger confusion factor, since the number of Wizards are reduced to 12. Also, 80% extra damage (10% per image) is probably nothing when its uncontrollable.

10. SparkFour

SparkFour IncGamers Member

I don't see the need to change the skills for PVP Balance. It's just rubbish. There will always be builds that are better for PvM and PvP. Some builds will be stronger than others. I agree that one character should not be 100% dominant over another character but I would find some comfort in a tiered system where wizard > monk, barb > wizard, monk >barb type of affect that way team builds with class variety will always be there. Each character should not be perfectly balanced. Skills should not be different in PVP. That's what makes it fun and challenging. Not some each character is fully balanced bs. This is not an RTS game. Balance should not be the goal. Okay, i'm done ranting.

11. HardRock

Stun and other CC durations should probably be reduced in PvP, compared to what the skill tooltips state. Otherwise it may become too easy to lock down targets. We'll see what the devs decide to do. If CC durations can be reduced by items, then this may not be an issue.

12. Such Violent Storms

Such Violent Storms IncGamers Member

As has been said, Mantras don't stack, but a team of of 4 Monks can each use a different Mantra of his/her own and get all 4 buffs.

What I'm still uncertain of is if different rune effects of the same Mantra can be active. Mantra of Healing won't stack, but if they are runed differently then each different rune effect applies. It makes sense, but I guess no one can test it yet.

Like the OP predicts, I could easily see how a bunch of Monks could roll face; I think 3 Monks each with specific skill sets and then a class to compliment them, like a Wizard that slows things with Cold skills or DH to pick off Leroyyy Jenkinss-type players, would make a formidable team if they were skilled/experienced/well coordinated (perhaps over skype/vent/what have you).