Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Cranium Basher any good?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Trakiel, Jul 28, 2008. | Replies: 21 | Views: 4358

1. Trakiel

Trakiel IncGamers Member

Cranium Basher any good?

Back in 1.09 my fury druid used this weapon and did a ton of damage and plowed through hell without much of a problem. I've just come back to the game and recently had one drop from pindle, which makes me want to remake my druid. I'm noticing though that none of the fury druid guides really meantion the weapon. It was good back in 1.09; is it not good anymore? I know it has a high lvl & str requirement, but the damage and stats on the weapon still seem pretty good. Is it that new weapons & runewords now outclass it or have changes in 1.10 & 1.11 made it not good anymore?
  2. Jary

Jary IncGamers Member

Re: Cranium Basher any good?

Funny enough.. not really :p The new runewords are great, especially in a dueling environment, but most of them lack the Crushing Blow that some of the classic uniques like Ribcracker, Windhammer, Stormlash, IK crusher (set sry), Earthshaker or Cranium Basher have. Cranium basher has the most crushing blow compared to any other item (besides lw, but that items stupid lol) and it offers pretty good damage too.. the only thing it lacks a little in is Speed. Might wanna check the Ias calculator, 'cause it might require as much as 40%+ ias to reach a descent speed..
    Yeah, a lot of the guides in our stickies are pretty narrow in their selections 'cause they're pretty build specific... and the fact that we hadn't had a legitimate "Pure FUry" guide in forever and a half didn't help... otherwise yeah, Cranium Basher deffinitely deserves an honorable mention even if isn't gonna be in the top 3 choices for 2-hand, thanks for bringing that up.

I like the fact that some of the classic weapons still hit just as hard if not harder than some of the big Runeword items these days in PvM, it allows more room for other builds and creativity.:yes:
  3. Verashiden

Verashiden IncGamers Member

It's all right. Most guides don't show it because pound for pound a Ribcracker will outclass it in everything but damage. If, however, you're making a Titan Wolf, it's quite a nice weapon.
  4. Trakiel

Trakiel IncGamers Member

I should've specified that I'm PvM only, since I play single player. It also means that if I wanna make runewords I have to find the runes myself, which makes it more difficult, hence my desire to use the Cranium Basher.

What's a Titan Wolf? (looks like some build digging for me!)
  5. Verashiden

Titan Wolf is a Fury Variant, the difference being you put EVERYTHING (unless you want block >.>) into strength, rather than simply enough strength for gear. So no points into Vitality. It's a fun build that churns out stupidly large amounts of damage.
  6. Trakiel

Trakiel IncGamers Member

I like the sound of that. I looked for a build guide in the sticky, but didn't find one. Have a link to one?

7. Jary

Jary IncGamers Member

I'm not sure we do, even so not for Cranium basher.

If you think through your build, it gives you a good idea what you'll need:

Skillz (lvl 88+)
    20 Fury
    20 Lycanth
    10-20 Werewolf (****ChECK IAS CALCULATOR! This will tell you how many points you'll need!!!)
    20 HoW (for damage)
    1-5 Dire wolf (improves grizzly's life for tanking mobs)
    1 grizzly (only for taking damage and tanking)
    1-5 carrion vine (you kill, he eats, you live. simple as that :)

Items
    You're not gonna have a lot of life. You wont put many points into dexterity, and you might even need a good amount of off weapon "increased attack speed" items to swing fast with Fury with that big hulk of a maul, but you'll have to check.

Helm: Jalals. Rockstopper.. crown of thieves. All good options. If not, any nice pelt or helm that offers life, skills, resists.
    Armor: IK armor. Prolly the best you can do, just adds amazing bonuses, resists and stats... an easy way to get the whole package for cheap, and its effective too
    Weapon: Cranium Basher 'shael'.
    Gloves: IK gauntlets. If not, Draculs.. then bloodfists. I would say bloods first, but survivability comes first especially when you're low on life.
    Belt: IK belt. If not, string of ears is way to go.
    Boots: IK boots. If not, Aldurs.
    Ammy/rings: Anghellics ammy, ring (provides huge life/AR boost you'll need). 1xRavenfrost (provides "cannot be frozen" and a great AR boost too)

Additional note: check the IAS calculator for weapon speed on Cranium. Make sure you select lvl 20+ for Werewolf too. Remember, the lower IK set offers +25% ias by itself, so if you did need an extra boost it helps. Also, with all 4 of the pieces, you get a nifty 10% life leech on top of the amazing damage, life, AR bonuses...
    you might actually wanna check here to get an idea if you aren't sure:
    http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/sets/sets5.shtml#immortalking

Stats
    Strength: Enough just to use Cranium (note: generally we'd say ALLGOHERE! but since this is SP and rather untwinked, you're not gonna have the torches & annis, etc to get by just using base vita. You just wont, you'll get slaughtered)
    Dexterity: none. (no need to block. Provided you have anghellics & IK.. your set for life ^.^)
    Vitality: If I were you... as you level I'd occasionally sneak a couple points in here, here or there, so that you do have a descent amount of life. "Titan build" is an ideal build, there's nothing that says "absolutely all strength", so put as many points where you have a comfortable amount of life. If you're dying more.. put more in here, that simple. Of course after you have enough to use weapon, you can load up points here. Do the math, factor in how much strength you're gonna get from IK, charms, etc and subtract from your strength req of Cranium Basher.)
    Energy: HAHAHAHA...none :p

mm.. that's about it I guess. That's my 2cents gl
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  8. Trakiel

Trakiel IncGamers Member

Thanks for the info Jary. :thumbup: I've tried using the IAS calculator linked in the sticky but I'm not sure if I'm entering the correct info. I'm not entirely sure how WIAS and OIAS interact; is there a faq somewhere that explains the basics of IAS?
  9. Jary

Jary IncGamers Member

Sure np dude. I'll figure it out for you... well, gotta go eat, but then I'll figure it out for you
  10. Verashiden

I'll get it, Jary. You'll be hitting 12/7 Fury, but you NEED Werewolf to be at least skill level 11 to achieve that. After that IAS won't mean anything. This is also assuming a Shael in the Basher.

Also, I'd like to argue with Jary and say that you should do a true Titan Wolf, not his... watered down version >.>. You just have to fight intelligently and engage small mobs instead of running into the middle of a pack, paws swinging. As such, I suggest you max Dire Wolves as part of your skill build. They'll tank a healthy amount of damage for you and will allow you to pick off the most dangerous enemy first. Also, you can always summon Fuzzy McGrizzly and have him tank a boss almost indefinitely. Besides, it's always fun running around with a pack :D

Jary, Get on DII
  11. Trakiel

Trakiel IncGamers Member

So far my druid is level 20, and I've put all my stat points except 5 into strength. Right now most of my life is coming from HotO and being shapeshifted, so I don't see the need to put any more points into Vitality quite yet.

I'm not sure what my final equipment is going to be aside from the 'Basher, so would getting IAS on items other than my weapon help me get to 12/7 and get away with fewer points into Werewolf?

12. Verashiden

Yes, using the IK suggestion (25 IAS), you'd only need a SLvl 6 Werewolf to hit 12/7 Fury.
  13. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

When using the german calculator, if you're a weredruid, barb or sin, the "ias" table should represent all off-weapon ias. Do not write weapon ias there. You also don't need to write your weapon ias to see a correct table. You can say that off-wep ias lowers the weapon ias requirements for the breakpoints, until it says "further ias useless". That means that any more off-wep ias won't lower the weapon ias requirements any more. Also, if wearing an item except your weapon which gives ias, you can get by with a lower werewolf requirement.
  14. Trakiel

Trakiel IncGamers Member

Ok, so my druid is lvl 78 now and I've just started my trek through Hell. It's slow going so far, but as long as I don't get surrounded I seem to do ok. I do have a few comments however:

-Wow, the jump from Nightmare to Hell is big in 1.12. My Zon and Sorc have both cleared Hell, but I did it with the 1.09 patch, and it was much easier.

-I've been able to keep myself alive so far, but I can't say the same for my merc and bear. My merc (Might Aura) is currently using a Spire of Honor, Duriel's Shell, and Vamp Gaze, but it looks like I'm going to have to get him a Shaftstop.

-Speaking of which, I'm talking a lot more damage too. Looks like I might need to get a couple of Shaftstops *sigh*

-I avoid Physical Immunes because they take forever to kill right now, but it's the monsters with Mana Burn that just kick my ***. Once I'm able to equip my Cranium Basher I'll be able to better deal with the Physical Immunes, but I don't know how to have any easier time with Mana Burn. :thumbsdown:

-As far as my stats, here's what I've got going right now:

Str 255
    Dex 20
    Vit 30
    Eng 20

Fury, Lycanthropy, HoW are maxed, 3 points each in Dire Wolf and Werewolf, and 1 point in prereqs and vines.

-Here's my current equipment:

Weapon: IK with Amn & Pskull
    Weapon switch: (Not used)
    Head: Jalal's
    Body: Duriel's Shell
    Gloves: IK
    Belt: IK
    Boots: IK
    Neck: Angelic Wings
    Ring1: Angelic Halo
    Ring2: Rare ring with 6% ll and FR
    Bunch of charms that give me Life and AR

I'm trying to figure out how best to proceed from here. I have 145 unspent stat points and 7 unspent skill points. I suppose I could dump the stat points into Vit in order to increase my health by 700 or so in werewolf, but part of me wants to throw caution to the wind and dump it into my Str for maximum damage :evil:

My skill points I'm even more unsure of. I know I'm going to have to put an extra point or two into Werewolf once I start using my 'Basher, but I'm not sure how many. As far as the rest of the points, I don't know. I may put some points into Dire Wolf so my bear gets more life, but I don't really know what to do with the rest of them.

As far as my final equipment I'm pretty undecided on most pieces. Obviously I'll be using the Cranium Basher and probably Jalal's, but I do have a Cerebrus's Bite that looks intriguing. Once I hit lvl 81 I'm going to switch out my Angelic ammy and ring for a Metalgrid and Ravenfrost, although I'll put the Ravenfrost on before then if I switch out my Duriel's Shell for a Shaftstop. My final belt will probably be either a String of Ears if I need more life leech or a Verdungo's. The second ring will probably be something with mana leech since I'll need to get it from somewhere, but I'm still up in the air over the gloves and boots, as well as a weapon switch. Suggestions would be appreciated.
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  15. Jary

Jary IncGamers Member

-swap IK boots for Aldurs boots, easier time dealing with mana burn & more fire resist.

-a shaftstop might actually be a good idea. besides SS, any other items or attempt to fill in the DR gaps is expensive, you'll have to get your resists elsewhere. Focus on just maxing Fire & Light resists, forget the others for now. So basically Jalals, Aldurs boots, IK belt... torch, etc all good ways to max those out.

-Another great combination many ppl overlook... Aldurs Armor + Aldurs Boots, IK gloves + IK belt. You lose the leech on IK, but you get a huge boost in stats from aldurs: fire/lightning/life/strength/+skills etc check it out but I used to use that combo a lot until I was able to start getting some of the big rune combos, but it works like a charm.

-get a reapers toll 'shael' for your merc, prolly best overall way to deal with PI's. Yeah, they go from PI --> Stone Skin, but heck I'll take that any day. I think mines gonna use Gaze, COH, Reapers... I think shaftstops a great Idea there too though. ^.~

-you'll have to see how you handle in hell, but I'm thinking a nice Raven Frost will be > rare ring with ll in the long run. I've tried to get by without needing "cannot be frozen" and it sorta sucks big time lol, especially when you're getting pelted with ice from bolts and arrows from all direction, you dont wanna have to slow down your killing.. 'cause slowing down killing = you're gonna die quick, since your vine will have nothing to eat lol

- You'll have quite a few points left it seems. I think the only realistic option for you todo is to try to max out Dire Wolf to keep your griz alive. I'd also see if you can sink a few points into carrion vine... personally on my Titan I'ma throw about 6 or so points into him to hit ~10% life/corpse. Its like getting mini-juvs nonstop, there's a big difference between like... 6% vs 10-11%.:thumbsup:
  16. Trakiel

Trakiel IncGamers Member

I made the swap and also make sure I have a mana vine out; that does seem to make Mana Burn monsters less of an obsticale.

I swapped my Duriel's for a shaftstop, and it's helped. For resists I'll have to get around to throwing an Um in my Jalal's, and once I can use the Basher that'll help too. Since I'm SP, no torch or anni for me. :weep:

I don't have Aldur's armor so I'll stick with Shaftstop for now. Again, since I'm SP some of the big RW are quesitonable, since I have to find all the runes myself. I'll figure something out, but in the end I'm going to have to get both LL and ML from some combination of my belt/gloves/ring2/boots.

I grabbed the Reaper's Toll from my sorc's merc and it's made a big difference. Decreptified monsters are much less dangerous. If I find another Shaftstop I'll probably swap out the Duriel's and Vamp gaze for the Shaftstop and a Tal Rasha's. I also found an Andariel's, and I've read that it makes a good Merc helm so I might give it a try once my merc gets to 83.

I put on a Ravenfrost as soon as I put on the Shaftstop, because yes, "can't be frozen" is too important not to have.

Well I'm lvl 80 and just killed Andy; Switching to Shaftstop, Reaper's Toll, and Aldur's boots has helped out a lot. I still haven't allocated my unspent stat or skill points, and will probably hang onto them until I run into a rough patch. We'll see. :thumbup:

17. Verashiden

Also, for gloves get Dracul's Grasp. The Life Tap, str, and Leech will greatly help you.
  18. Trakiel

Trakiel IncGamers Member

Meh, I don't know. Not only do I not have those but if I get them I think I'll save them for my Zealadin. The CB procs Amp damage, and I'd rather have that on a monster than Life Tap. I'll probably just end up crafting some gloves.

19. Verashiden

To an extent. LT, even if it only lasts one hit, will bring you to full health. Also, it enables you to leech against unleechables, the bane of a Titan Wolf. So you should have curses procced all the time.
  20. Trakiel

Trakiel IncGamers Member

Well, if I do find a pair I'll give them a try. :thumbup: