Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Cover Letter Assistance/Opinions Please.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Leopold Stotch, Jan 29, 2013. | Replies: 44 | Views: 1518

1. Leopold Stotch

Leopold Stotch IncGamers Member

Okay, so I'm getting off my lazy-*** and job-hunting, right? I have dependable transportation (MY OWN! SCORE! :alright:) and in the Trees with moonshiners and deer. I need a job to support me and Casey La Pup ("la" because she is female) and to pay rent. I don't want retail and I definitely do not want to go back to food service. Really, really, really trying to avoid it. I want something "normal", a little stable. Pretty much, I want something M-F 8-5ish, if I have to work half a day Saturday or every other Saturday that's fine, off Sundays. Nothing wrong with that, right?

So, I have found several things, uploaded my resume. Answered some questions. Emailed recruiters. I have found one job that I am interested in, but the teeny-tiny problem is they are asking for a cover letter. "Email a cover letter, resume, and 3-work references to blahblahblah @blah.com." Doing a quick search right now about cover letters. Asked a friend what is a cover letter. He said it's pretty much where you sell yourself; tell them why you are qualified for this job and what do you have that makes you above the rest. Okay, fine. I can do that. My question is do I email them 3 different attachments or use the email as a cover letter and say, "I'm awesome, this is what I offer, and attached to this email is my resume and my 3 work references." ? (not exact words, but you get the point)

TL;DR version: Found a job I am interested in. They want you to email them a cover letter, resume, and references. Should I do three diff attachments or use the email as a cover letter and say, "Included is my resume and references." ?

I know this shouldn't take very many brain cells to figure out, but I've never done anything like this before and I'm not entirely sure what to do. Would like to hear opinions and diff points of view.

Thanks! :wave:
  2. xvDirtyDvx

xvDirtyDvx IncGamers Member

The entire thing should be in 1 email. Do it in 3 easy attachments. So they can see the name and tell what it is without even opening the file.

Make sure its in a commonly used format. If its in a goofy version of word (docx being one of those formats not all copies of word can read) then they will probably just go to the next person.

Use the email as an introduction. Still keep 1 attachment for the cover letter.

For the cover letter... I always find the most effective cover letter to be one that responds directly to the advertisement you saw for the job posting.

Here is one of my cover letters. It got me a job offer, which I eventually declined because of the position.. However, it did the trick.

To Whom It May Concern:

I am interested in the full time office assistant position advertised on Craigslist. My resume is enclosed for your review. Given my related experience and capabilities I would appreciate your consideration for this job opening. My skills are an ideal match for this position.

Your Requirements:

• Capable of using multiple computer programs
    • Must be able to speak and write English very well
    • Must be skilled in writing grammatically correct
    • Must have excellent organization skills
    • Candidate must be mature with a lot of office administrative and organization experience

My Qualifications:

• I am an expert in most Microsoft based programs
    • I type over 130 words per minute
    • I speak and write English very well
    • I am skilled in being grammatically correct
    • I am an expert at organization
    • I assisted in running an office for several years

I appreciate you taking the time to review my credentials and experience. Thank you for your consideration.

Now above the letter was my information and the information I had on the company... Just like your standard letter format. I didn't have the person's name in HR, so I wrote To Whom It May Concern, however, you would be better off putting the person you are looking for there. But it should be pretty simple.

Also something I learned a long the way. Make sure your Resume is only 1 page. Don't include unnecessary information. Like the phone numbers and addresses of previous employment... Or of schools. Because this information goes on your application and isn't needed on your resume.

Nothing bothers employers more than a long resume. 1 page is ideal.
  3. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Mine have tended to be more stodgy, because Gov't jobs just are. Some things I've used are mind-game insinuations, such as "more references available upon request". Of course they're available, but just saying that colors the transaction with "I've got loads of people who love me lots, so don't even imagine that using my great-aunt Sally as a reference is because I'm scraping the barrel"

Also, while I love & support bullet points, I'm not sure I'd use them quite the way Dirty did. Reiterating the company requirements point-by-point may make their eyes glaze over.
  4. skullvomit

skullvomit IncGamers Member

I would attach 3 separate files as .pdf and a brief introduction in the e-mail message field. A cent and ...another! ;)
  5. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

I agree with sticking to paragraph form, as in, "My relevant work experiences in ___, ___, ___, and ___ are outlined on the resume attachment file."

You can add some friendliness (I'll bold it here): "I am pleased to [apply for the position of ____ / send you my.../ offer my availability/ arrange an interview/ work on the hours requested in the advertisement/ etc]", "I've attached my resume for your consideration", "I can be reached at your earliest convenience", "I look forward to hearing from you...", "Sincerely," Etiquette gets you places.

Open with the exact position title, how you learned of it, and your availability for full time or part time. The example three posts above is good.

Don't forget to tell them exactly when and how they can contact you, so they don't have to call repeatedly.

Don't make any errors in punctuation, grammar, etc.

Save a copy to swap out names and positions, as people typically must apply to many places. Unless...

If desperate, check out the number of positions available and date the job advertisement was posted (this is if you do your job searches on line--in Canada, we have HRDC and jobshop). If it's a huge number (20+) of grunts they need and the date is fairly recent, you will damn well get hired. They are in desperate need. If retards apply, they'll probably have to hire them too. You can get a job with one try.

And since this is the OTF:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  6. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Sadly, this is something that cannot be emphasized enough. Some grammar issues aren't serious, but some of them will make an applicant look horrible.

Same is true of resumes, actually - advice is to tailor them to the position rather than have a 'standard'. That's not the case for me, again, because instead of tailoring resumes you tailor the "Knowlege, Skills, Ability" responses.
  7. Leopold Stotch

Starting to feel not so confident, lol! Thanks, guys. ^_^ Much appreciated. Let's hope I find a job! If not this one I am interested in, then something or another. :s
  8. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Hey, if you want, you can sterilize your letter and have us review it!

We can also give relationship advice!

9. Leopold Stotch

So I should wear a skin tight polka dot dress, wear big and ugly glasses, straighten my hair, and sing songs? That will get me a man? Hell, if only I knew that...

*nervous laugh* No, you don't have to see my rezzie. it's okay. Promise. *gulp* :yes:
  10. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Well, aside from the old line about "all a woman has to do to get a man is her hair", I don't think it would take you even that much if you look like she does.
    NONONO. COVER LETTER. "X" out the PII (Personally Identifiable Information).

Of course, I would keep anything in the strictest confidence, even though I no longer maintain my TS-SBI clearance. :neener:

EDIT WHAT THE HELL DID THEY DO WITH :NEENER: ??!?
  11. LozHinge the Unhinged

LozHinge the Unhinged IncGamers Member

DEY DURK AR NEENERS!

Disclaimer: Actually, no. That was "The State"
  12. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

I ensure maintenance of partial literacy with contemporary youth culture, so I understand the South Park reference. I do this as part of my job. Really.

Which reminds me - don't use jargon or other strange communication in your cover letter, unless specifically sought after by the company (like using the term SCADA with some utilities provider).
  13. Leopold Stotch

WELL THEN... I'll put on that potato sack, add a little rouge, and look fabulous!! :D jk, jk. I don't think I look that bad. Not her level, but, ya know, decent.

Eep. Sure, Merv. I'll get it to you right away! When I can get arsed to do it. :ashamed:

Neener? *laughs uproariously* I wonder... A lot of things have gone. :grin: was one of my faves. And :azn: . :cry: . :slut: . Oh, wait. that was never on here. XD

SCADA? WTF is SCADA? It sounds like a really bad skin rash disease!! Worse than eczema! A step above syphilis! Scabies? Is it scabies?

And no, I know not to use youth jargon in professional assignments like this.
  14. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

You know what they say: pics or it din't happen.
    I'm only half joking; consider us the infinite number of monkeys. Winged ones, if you're feeling mean.
    Even worse.

Plus I once argued on the old Computerworld forums that NOBODY would be stupid enough to do exactly what was done. The numb-nuts who control major infrastructure like nuclear plants, the electrical grid, hydroelectric plants, and so forth thought, "Gee, you know what would be GREAT? Let's make all our controls available on the Internet and use Windows machines to access them! What could go wrong?"

You never heard that the true cause of the 2003 East Coast blackout was not only from a tree, but from the SCADA servers fecking up by the numbers thanks to their running Microsoft Windows and having to deal with the "Blaster" worm. Why? Because Microsoft carpet-bombed anyone mentioning it with warning letters and lawyers, that's why.
    It was general guidance, really, but jargon of any kind is "iffy". One thing I was warned off about was using military unit designations or abbreviations ("3/5 Cav, 1st Bde 3rd AD") and particularly acronyms.
  15. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Uh, this ist about getting a man now, not a job?

I for myself like skin tight dresses, but if you want a job, you better don't make that much use of your female stimulation potential with a dress like that :yes:.
  16. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

^unless it's a restaurant or bar job.
  17. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Business skirts can look really hot and professional at the same time, but the hemline is problematic. Too high and you're labeled a slut.
  18. Leopold Stotch

[​IMG]
  19. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I can't read the topmost word, but are you sure there aren't more farther up?
  20. LozHinge the Unhinged

LozHinge the Unhinged IncGamers Member

Above the last word is a list of costs and other such important business details. :nod: