Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Couple of ideas...

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by rodge, Nov 5, 2012. | Replies: 4 | Views: 454

1. rodge

rodge IncGamers Member

Might as well go straight to the point eh?

Feel free to propose alterations to these. I won't edit them in of course but input and insight are always appreciated.

It's not like this has a big chance of going in to the game anyway, but I'd really like to share this (to get it out of my head).

1. Skill Synergy System

I thought (or probably someone else already) that we can treat skills as if they're part of a 6-item Set, and they also belong in multiple ones.

Each skill and their rune variants will be given invisible (for experimentation's sake) labels. These labels basically tell you that they belong to that "Set."

For example (just making this up)
    Hydra:
    [Unruned]
    -Fire
    -Summon
    -Single Target (because of bolts)
    [Frost Hydra]
    -Cold
    -Summon
    -Line

Ray of Frost:
    [Unruned]
    -Cold
    -Single Target
    -Stationary
    [Sleet Storm]
    -Cold
    -Stationary
    -Close Range

Using only two of these skills as an example, any variant of rune of frost paired with Frost Hydra would create a Cold synergy. Or with an unruned Hydra and Ray of Frost, you can create a Single Target synergy. Synergies should enhance those skills individually (small but helpful enough), along with more bonuses that just boost your character overall. If one can have 6 cold skills, the hero should be resistant to cold and be adept with it.

Since the skills cover more than one "set," the bonuses should be provided accordingly.

--------------------

2. Stats (Oh, here we go)

Disclaimer: Not one of those people who demand D2's stat system, but to be honest, the illusion of control (sorry, that's how I see it) is still satisfying. Plus, we should have a lot of control on how our characters turn out, if we so please.

Paragon system will still give the same bonuses for GF and MF but instead of merely increasing stats automatically, an option to increase them manually will be given. However, one can still choose to let the game allocate the (remaining) points if they're too lazy.

In addition, a simple hunt across the acts (much less difficult than the Infernal Machine Event) will be to concoct an "Elixir of Expertise" (or whatever you wanna name it). The materials should be found in Hell difficulty as well, and NV shouldn't be necessary. ONLY A LEVEL 10 CHARACTER WILL BE ABLE TO DRINK THIS POTION. It will enable the starting character to manually allocate half of the total stats granted each level up.

Why half? Those insignificant stats some people think are unnecessary for the class actually contributes a lot in terms of overall survival. [<--- Opinion] It's only for the journey from 11 - 60, so don't worry. The Paragon levels should give one COMPLETE control of the stat allocation.

--------------------

3. Descriptions Diablo 2 style (personal preference)

*Don't really mind what we have now, just think that something similar as to what they did in D2 would be more - efficient. This could be one of those advanced options. I also admit: NOSTALGIA.

RAY OF FROST

Currently:
    Project a beam of frozen ice that blasts 215% weapon damage as Cold to the first enemy it hits, slowing the target's movement by 60% for 4 seconds.

Personally:
    Project a beam of frozen ice that slows movement and damages the first enemy it hits. (or something)

Cold Damage: 215% weapon damage
    --> 4,238 - 5,293
    Slow: 60% for 4 seconds

Makes the things you look for more organized, plus it will help organize the bonuses if ever the skill synergy thing is implemented.

--------------------

Thanks for reading! :)
  2. Chaosmage

Chaosmage IncGamers Member

They won't do it.
  3. WhiteGiant

WhiteGiant IncGamers Member

i generally like the idea of "tagging" skills - this would offer great opportunities for many new affixes and character identity.

eg tags such as.

Melee
    Ranged
    Element x (cold / fire / poison / holy / arcane / physical / lighting )
    Damage over time (DOT)
    Crowd control (CC)
    Summon
    Buff
    Debuff
    Channeled skill
    Ressource costing skill
    Ressource generating skill / no ressource cost

all theses tags would add great opportunity for affixes.

eg say you find an amulett with

+ 20% dmg on phyiscal skills
    + 15% dmg on melee skills
    + 30% dmg on dot skills

gz you found the perfect amulett for a spectral blades (deepcuts) build or rend.

i like your ideas as well - however the current system is not build to function like that and it would probably to much of a strain on them to rework it.

generally speaking they are apparently not willing to do much much when it comes to complexity / depth.
  4. rodge

rodge IncGamers Member

Agreed. Pretty sure from the very start they won't.

I ought to make simple illustrations for this soon.
  5. Dogbert

Dogbert IncGamers Member

Remember to also post your ideas on the battle.net forums. Good ideas imo.