Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Could it be?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by IVI E G A T O N, Feb 6, 2011. | Replies: 25 | Views: 1999

1. IVI E G A T O N

IVI E G A T O N IncGamers Member

Could it be?

While questing with my cousin in his first ever playthrough of the game, the most astonishing event of my D2 career took place.

We are sitting right beside each other at the same desk, I'm on the desktop and he's on the laptop. He's been playing a Fanatic Zealot, while I've been teleporting circles around him with a Pure Light Sorc. We've just made it to the Canyon of the Magi in Hell. After heading to town for some quick IDing and Repairing (He picks up a lot of junk...), we head back out into the desert.

I'm checking the quest log for the symbol of the True Tomb of Tal-Rasha, but he hasn't got time for such trivial things. There are bugs to be slain. :strong: I mention that he's headed the wrong way, but he couldn't care less. He's whacking along with my Grief PB having a merry ol' time. How could I deny him the satisfaction of smashing more beetles to bits, and watching their lightning cover the screen in a hopeless attempt at harming him. (standard /players setting, he has died enough) So I follow...

We are maybe two screens away from the Waypoint and I'm slinging Chain Lightning past him into the crowds. Things are falling almost before sight. I hear the faint squish that signals an orange present has fallen. I check the ground ahead and there lies a Vex rune. I'm excited, he's indifferent. :propeller:

Then within seconds (maybe 15) I hear the same sound, this time from his speakers. I look over just in time to see him picking up this.

My brain explodes :balloons: I promptly, threw it back on the ground, took a Screenie, grabbed it back up, and told him to GTFO! (As you can tell in the pic, he dropped it and immediately ran off to kill some more as if nothing had happened... Still going the wrong way :doh:)

:scratchhead:

Is this some sort of Diablo related divine intervention or something? If I don't make a BotD will the runes turn to dust, or my hand be ripped apart by some sort of animal, never to mouse that beautiful gauntlet again? Have I been chosen to carry out a plan that is bigger than I am? :)whistleblower: I know, I took it too far...)

What a moment! I had to explain to him the enormous odds of this particular rune falling. (Well it is 1.13 but still...). His response: "Lets go find another one!"

:rolleyes:

We both laughed. I told him that I would never expect another one to drop, another Zod doesn't even exist for me.

He responded: "Kinda like Diablo 3?"

:highfive: ......................................... :banghead:

Good Times...
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  2. Ladvarian

Ladvarian IncGamers Member

Re: Could it be?

That was quite an entertaining read. Congratulations on the Vex and Zod. It sounds like your cousin does not care or understand about powering his character with the best possible equipment. I sometimes wish I could play with that sort of enthusiasm. Not caring whether or not I squeeze out the last bit of possible damage I can. Sometimes being a fool to the possibilities can be a bliss. :cloud9: and a lot less stressing.
  3. sevenOfDiamonds

sevenOfDiamonds IncGamers Member

Kudos for the entertaining post.
    And grats with the zod + vex. Now go zod that phase blade ;)

Well I guess zod + vex in the same run = BotD.
  4. Corale

Corale IncGamers Member

Nice story, congrats on the find :)
  5. LD50

LD50 IncGamers Member

Grats on your Zod! :)

Now, if you really believed in fate, you'd make the botd in the next 6os thing that dropped.... ;)
  6. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

Hilarious! Great post.

This definitely has the beginnings of a pretty cool mat/pat. It's the D2 equivalent of Roy Hobbs carving Wonderboy out a tree struck by lightning in The Natural.
  7. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

I love it, very entertaining, and an amazing find!

Congrats, and good luck on your new BoTD!
  8. Evasive

Evasive IncGamers Member

Congrats on the rune finds. Now I just wish some of that luck could come this way..
  9. angeldesignpro

angeldesignpro IncGamers Member

Unbelievable, which makes it all the more awesome that it actually happened, lol!

The random number generator seems to be in a "giveth" mood for you! Congrats!

I'd caution you not to take the sign and make eBOTD with it though. Fate is playing games with you - according to my calculations, there's no realistic scenario in which BoTD is better than grief, unfortunately / amusingly. Maybe a BotD bow? Throw it in a base speed 0 ethereal 5 range pole arm / spear and have a long-range high-power whirlwind barb (but 2x grief would still be better : /?).

I feel like the best use for Zod would be a crazy unique that spawned ethereal. Eth 5 socket rune master with Zod + Lo + Lo + Lo + Lo? Zod + Lem + Lem + Lem + Lem for the most hillarious gold find weapon this side of the missippi?

OK OK I'm going to stop fantasizing about spending your rune now. But that's seriously incredible, congrats!!
  10. Baby Boy

Baby Boy IncGamers Member

Quite an amusing read, I can imagine my younger sister who also plays Diablo with me sometimes would act in a way not unlike that of your cousin.

So that's how a Zod looks like in-game... :(
  11. Greebo

Greebo IncGamers Member

A nice story. I had similar experiences playing with a cousin of mine. She picks up every single blue/yellow/green/gold item and every pile of gold. Sadly, I wasn't rewarded with a Zod.

GG!
    --Greebo
  12. dryzalizer

dryzalizer IncGamers Member

Congrats Mega, and a funny story to boot. I have noticed that rune drops often come in pairs, but that combo is pretty much the most remarkable I have ever seen. I can see why you're playing with your lucky cousin rather than MPing with me....
  13. IVI E G A T O N

IVI E G A T O N IncGamers Member

Thanks everyone for the replies, I'm still trying to believe something like this could happen that quickly. Sadly, I'm too analytical to take it as fate but this is the closest I've ever felt to it. Even so, any BotD made under these circumstances would ooze style! (@LD50 your idea is nuts, but man what a story that would be...) I'm leaning much more towards a BotD than I would typically just because of the amazing circumstance, but normally I probably wouldn't even consider one next to Grief...

But still, I think I will keep my options open seeing as I haven't got any amazing eth unique or rare item atm... (probably even pick up the next 6os weapon that falls for her, just in case :scratchchin: )

Feel free to keep the ideas coming though, I love being persuaded :thumbup:

@dryz - Seems like every time I get time to play for any length of time, you aren't on... Don't abandon hope though, you may be worth a Cham or something. :wink:
  14. angeldesignpro

I just did some calculations, and I'm not even sure there are many unique weapons that would be worth the Zod if they spawned ethereal.

A near perfect ethereal The Redeemer is as close as I can come. It'd near 400 average one handed damage, a/k/a... almost as good as Grief :p But you'd get +2 pally skills and some extra damage to demons and, uh, holy bolt?
  15. angeldesignpro

ooooh never mind, I may have the answer to your question:

Ethereal, perfect, upgraded ribcracker w/ a Zod. 594 average damage, 50% crushing blow, 50% WIAS [takes it to -40], and MASSIVE style points.

Edit: eth 3 os tomb reaver could be interesting too, but really not THAT interesting.
  16. Greebo

Greebo IncGamers Member

First of all, double posts are frowned upon most of the time, especially 3 minutes one after the other. You can edit your posts (left-most icon at the bottom of your post). Which you seem to know, seeing as how first you double posted 3 minutes apart, and then edited the second post.

As far as Tomby goes: check first post of the current IFT. Aside from that, awesome rares would be my choice for style points. frozzzen made an awesome claw out of ATMA-ebugged base.
  17. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

Congrats on the finds! The few times I've introduced people to D2, I've been busy explaining to them why they don't need to pick up everything, even the cracked sahses.

If it were me, I'd stick them into an Ethereal Giant Thresher and give it to a necro with max'd PN synergies.
  18. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

I like the eth Ribby idea! I second that nomination.

Huge GRATS on that find - some serious beginners luck that you were privy to!
  19. Korlic

Korlic IncGamers Member

Grats on the Zod, its the only rune Ive yet to find. Eth Stormlash for me is the best item for a Zod. Or you could also make it in that 3-soc eth Tombreaver you have lying around :crazyeyes:
  20. Grisu

Grisu IncGamers Member

Holy thread necromancy! Ok, a fun read, but HOLY THREAD NECROMANCY! :crazyeyes: *grabs a beer* *realizes: I'm at work* *grabs a bottle of water*

Wait! Wait! Now I get the correlation: Korlic, one of the "Ancients"... :wink:

Eth Stormlash wouldn't be my choice - the base damage isn't why I use lash, it's mostly because of the Ctc SF :)