Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

cosmic damage?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Ishmael, Mar 11, 2006. | Replies: 18 | Views: 1587

1. Ishmael

Ishmael IncGamers Member

cosmic damage?

I`ve read on Arreat Summit page, that Night Lords deal 40-60 dmg (nightmare skill) with each hit. So how come, that a boos of theirs (cursed, stone skin) kills me with one hit? I have 650 HP, I wasn`t cursed at that moment. Why/how was his damage multiplied by 10!?

Moreover I have 75% to block with the shield and 15% chance to be hit, yet he had 100% effectivess. MOREOVER my blessed hammers do 3,5-3,6K dmg, and I didn`t see him take much damage. The site shows that they have avg. 3-4K life, so by estimation, he would have to get hit about 20,30 times with a hammer to die, so again some cosmic multiplier appliet to it. I understand magic and physical resistances... but he`d have to have at least 80% res to get that kind of effect as a boss!

I`m just very very mad right now, coz I got killed like 20 times, lost many exp and to no reason!
  2. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

Well, in NM, bosses get a 6.5x bonus to their life, so there is part of your multiplier. As for the rest, I'm betting missing hammers will account for that.

As for the damage, what is listed is the base damage. It does not include the elemental damage that they have a chance to use, or the bonuses from frenzy. If they manage to get in a critical strike, all of the physical damage is doubled. It can start to add up fast. The other problem with that type of monster is that they have a very large range, so you can easily get hit by many of them at a time, even those that feel they should be out of range.

There is a reason they rank high on the list of really dangerous D2 baddies.
  3. Fluffballer

Fluffballer IncGamers Member

I seem to recall monsters have a chance to score a critical hit, which doubles the damage. That on top of the already doubled damage of amp would do say, 240 damage. Add on to that the fact that "Frenzytaurs" use "Frenzy" and double that damage again. I'm sure my math is wrong, but it explains the huge damage at any rate.

Did you see his health go down from the hammers? It often looks like a hammer is hitting when it isn't. You may have simply missed.
  4. Ishmael

Ishmael IncGamers Member

I was not amplified! Secondly there was only boss in the area (I made him go far away from his minions) and he was not frenzied - it was his first hit.
    I`d understand that if I were amplified and he frenzied, but that wasn`t the casue...
    As for my hammer dmg - I could see his health going down, like 1/20, 1/30 at a hammer hit.
  5. Kefir-Tribe

Kefir-Tribe IncGamers Member

What were the exact stats of the boss? How high were your resistances? As already been pointed out there're a lot of possible things that can enhance the damage of a boss. Add to that, that rumor has it that stats from the Arreat Summit should be taken with a grain of salt. Don't trust the LCS when it comes to their chance of hitting you either. Some monsters have ITD and I've got a feeling that Night Lords are one of them.
  6. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

Are you guys talking about the same Night Lords?

If you mean the Vampire type Night Lords (which are the only ones I know), they don't use frenzy. I never heard of them having an increased chance of critical strike either... However they do have cold damage. If a Night Lord boss manages to hit you and he delivers high cold damage alongside his increased normal damage it might hurt alot.
    Anyhoo I don't see how his melee can be more hurtfull then his meteor/fireball...
  7. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Blizzard, in their infinite wisdom, named both a vampire type and a Frenzytaur type 'Night Lord'. There are dual Blood Lords as well (same pair of base monster types).
  8. crazy_bear

crazy_bear IncGamers Member

I echo this....

plus, if the boss is cursed you may never see the amp that kills you. A second option would be Extra Strong/Aura Enchanted that could be deadly. A boss with might or fanat with extra strong will hurt. I've always found that those frenzytaurs are deadly.
  9. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

Oh you guys mean blood lords...

Quoted from AS: ''Night Lords have a chance to deal Lightning damage.'' How are your resistances?
  10. kabal

kabal IncGamers Member

If the Frenzytaur was part of a mana burn + magic resistant boss pack, then it'd have a very high magic resistance. IIRC Frenzytaurs are considered neither Demon nor Undead (they're "Animals" like the Wailing Beasts in Act 3), so the "Ignore resistance" aspect of Blessed Hammers doesn't apply to them.
  11. Ishmael

Ishmael IncGamers Member

ok, so it all solves the problem I guess.
    My resistances are 80 to fire, and 45 to rest.

Well anyway I was just surprised because I never had problems with those lords with this character so far, and then I died like 20 times during 5 minutes :/
  12. Fluffballer

Fluffballer IncGamers Member

If you were recovering your body, your resists would be around -50, which would hurt.
  13. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

Ah yes, don't forget the Anya bug. Once you die, you lose the resistances from the scroll you get from saving Anya until you Save+Exit the game. That can make a huge difference.
  14. lCE

lCE IncGamers Member

Frenzytaurs also have a chance to deal magical damage - or so it says on the Arreat summit. As you all know, there is no resistance to magic in the game - except for safety shields - but who uses those anyway?
  15. Ishmael

Ishmael IncGamers Member

you can wear gear 'magic damage reduced by X' :D :D:grin: :grin: :grin:
  16. Tom_S

Tom_S IncGamers Member

And there i was thinking mdr only works with elemental damage...

Still learning after all this years :p
  17. Ishmael

Ishmael IncGamers Member

hm... well if you say so, then I`m not so sure... :/
    I don`t have any special knowledge to mdr, but as for me the name says it all :/
  18. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Ok... lots of misconceptions here.

+150% life.

For monsters, all dmg. CB is not dmg.

Their Frenzy (and of the tree fellas) does not add any dmg.

Magic Resistant does not add +% magic resist.

Night Lord: Lightning dmg
    Hell Lord: Cold dmg
    Death Lord: Fire dmg
  19. Arreat_mercenary

Arreat_mercenary IncGamers Member

Wow, thanks for the info RTB, I didn't knew half of that :shocked: