Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Convince this long time BNET player to go SP

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by BKC, Jul 14, 2013. | Replies: 22 | Views: 1703

1. BKC

BKC IncGamers Member

Hello All,

I have been considering to go into SP play and leave Bnet behind... i see some major advantages however there must be some disadvantages also?

The + side:
    No bots
    No spam
    No disconnects
    No bans
    No lag (however 99% that is connection related)
    No screwed up economy (the SPTF pricelist makes sense if you ask me)
    Same maps (however i am still not certain how that works)
    Unlimited characters (is that so?)
    Sensible muling
    and on top of it all: Arguably the best community there is (gauss also is a really nice bunch of guys!)

The - Side:
    No fast trading
    No Anni (dont bring the 1-4 thread up please)
    No Torch
    No opening of the Cow level for your own character (with 2 accs i can use MP for that i guess?)

What am i missing? What did you miss most when you left Bnet behind?

Let me know!

Regards,
    BKC
  2. Dazliare

Dazliare IncGamers Member

I'm going to be that guy and say I really don't miss battle.net. At first I missed trading, but people here are pretty good about trading if you're really looking for something. Personally, I'm about 95% self found, and will really only trade if I have something I don't plan to use and someone else really really wants it. This play-style is quite rewarding, and may of the folks here are extremely wealthy with very little trading. I've only traded for one rune, and I have infinity/enigma/coh/2x grief/2x forti/faith/etc, all self found, which is pretty neat.

To answer your questions, we do have unlimited characters which is sweet. You'll understand the map system as soon as you exit and play again. No anni and no torch at first is kinda crummy, but I'm pretty happy about it. It makes the game just slightly more difficult without the +4 skills and 30 @res (I think). You can rerun cows as much as you like if you don't kill the king. To be fair though, most people don't run cows much, except for some RW bases.

For what it's worth, I played bnet off and on for years, only playing about a month at a time until I traded for everything I wanted, then got bored. On sp, I started about a year ago, and still am going strong, with several more builds planned. It's also kinda neat to have stronger characters than I ever had on bnet, and all the gear they have is stuff I've found rather than traded for.

Another aspect is that we're a little more attached to our characters. Without enigma, levelling through the game and getting to hell takes a lot of time, effort, and gear.

Overall, I'd say I find sp a lot more satisfying, and this community is pretty one of a kind.
  3. FredOfErik

FredOfErik IncGamers Member

Yes, all of your +sides are true. The price guide however isn't used very much anymore, as most of the stuff traded (in SC at least) is often very specific, and the traders very rich. Acquiring most none-crazy gear should be relatively easy though. Static maps work as it sounds - everytime you open the game the map is visible and the same. You can reroll your maps by switching difficulty.

I never tried bnet, but i never missed torch/anni.

I like SP so much mainly because of the community here. I play exclusively HC, and there's an awesome community both for trading, MPing and just general chatter (on the forums and on our hamachi server). Generally speaking, the community is the reason that I even play at all.

Also, the tournaments here - both the untwinked themed ones and stuff like the MFO is truly awesome.
  4. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

A major downside is there's no instant access to seemingly endless MP/trade. The trade forum is pretty slow/quiet, and not that many MP games go up, especially in SC.
  5. srrw

srrw IncGamers Member

I've always missed battle.net. I still do, but it's just unplayable these days.

You're about right about all the up and downsides, except that I never really missed Anni and Torch. I would love to be able to kick uber D's *** and Uber Tristam, tho.
  6. NorthDakota

NorthDakota IncGamers Member

There are two reasons I play single player.

1. Muling is so much easier. You can save anything and everything. It is immensely easier to build wealth quickly because you don't have to waste time muling, or sorting through mules when you want to find something, or switching items between characters. It's just way more fun. Plus keeping track of your grail progress, and number of each item you have is so amazingly awesome. Being able to save every rune and every gem so quickly and easily is a major bonus.

2. Lag. This one is really the killer for me. I have a spectacular internet connection but no matter what I do my sorceress will drop the occasional teleport, or spell, or whatever, and it is just killer. The responsiveness of spells and movement in single player is the main reason I can never go back to bnet.
  7. logoutzero

logoutzero IncGamers Member

As for fast trading, I guess you have to define fast. I don't know how the Softcore community is, but we trade regularly in the Hardcore clique. Also, as mentioned, we do have a rather large Hardcore crowd on Hamachi (16 so far) so it doesn't take long at all to get a trade organized. (Remember, before any MP/Trading, you need to setup a profile in the SP Trade Forum, and you can also take a look at the For Trade/In Search Of threads there to get a feel for how easy it is to setup trades, and the usual quickness they can be executed.)

I've never used an Anni or Torch, honestly, never even seen one. It doesn't affect the gameplay at all.

Cow Portals, self rushing, self buffing (Battle Orders, Enchant, Conviction, ETC) can be done, and quite easily. Here, in the SPF, we have some mods, that as long as declared, are okay to use around here. One of which, will let you open as many D2 clients as you want. It's up to you if you feel that breaches your moral compass, or the EULA we all agreed to when installing this game, but, just to let you know, the tools are there, and acceptable (in certain cases) here in the SPF.

The biggest, and most important point there is, has also already been mentioned.

The community.

This is single-handed the most crucial aspect of playing off Battle.Net. No spamming noobs asking for free rushes and itamz (well, unless you join us in our Hardcore Hamachi server... ROFL) No idiots, jerks, or cheaters. No young kids who think they can impress you buy spewing out every bit of foul language they can Google. Just, mostly like-minded folks, who want to relax, and play an awesome game.

Anyway, wish you best with whatever you decide, and good luck.

**Kicks Shins**
  8. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

It's not so much how fast a trade can get organized, though it's pretty much impossible to consistently compare to battle.net in that regard as well, as it is how quickly you can actually assemble the gear you need. That's not really a problem with lower end things, but the supply of high end items is obviously a lot smaller in SP. As an example, an inventory of Fungal GC's of Vita might take weeks/months/years (minutes, if you're nulio) to assemble here, whereas it would be much faster on battle.net. The same goes for stuff like the charms Fabian has been hunting for who knows how long.

Anyway, I think that actually makes the game more interesting, so it's not really a bad thing at all. :p
  9. Krupa

Krupa IncGamers Member

hey dude. long time no see =)

come to hc sp, we got cookies!!
  10. naranjadita

naranjadita IncGamers Member

Well, noone in SPF will mention any occasions of having intercourse and/or any other sex related activities wit you, your mother, other relatives and your pet hamster.

*cough* tele charged staff *cough*

anyway, this:

11. Grisu

Grisu IncGamers Member

Also, you can play different versions of the game if you want some change of pace and/or the chance for superb gear: 1.07 comes to mind with mind blowing charms and jewels as well as the famous Shako and Arkaine's Valor...or 40% IAS Bows etc. etc. Also, 1.10 BKWB with +2 to all skills, 1.10 CtA with +bazillion to BO...there's really a lot to explore!

Anyways, welcome to the SPF and hope you stay here!
  12. BKC

BKC IncGamers Member

Thanks for the input so far guys :) much appreciated! playing older versions of this game is really a nice to have yes :) i started playing in 1.07 and stopped for a while back then... (returning in 1.09) always wondering what happened to those charms :) (until i started reading up on a lot of sites how that worked).

Reliving those moments can be a blast.... :)

I am not sure for now i might go SP and Bnet together (mainly because my projects on bnet are not finished yet) on the other hand going SP will mean that i have all the time i need for different projects... :)
  13. Cyrax

Cyrax IncGamers Member

I agree with most of what's mentioned before. A major argument (for me) i've missed is: playing at your own pace Which can be fast or slow depending on mood/char/etc. Or if you are into MP-ing: playing together. Whereas on Bnet it usually was: you tele. No you tele. Etc. And in the end nobody does anything.

And some things that have been briefly mentioned, but should get more attention: hunting for (perfect) grail, major hoarding possibilities.
  14. BKC

BKC IncGamers Member

This sounds like a wet dream: "major hoarding possibilities."

I am a hoarder.... a big one :)
  15. FredOfErik

FredOfErik IncGamers Member

You will love gomule. Currently my stash holds ~4.5k items, and I'm not even that much of a hoarder (considering SPF standards).
  16. shintyguy

shintyguy IncGamers Member

for me /players setting is a huge thing. also the abilty to do some totally outrageous builds/projects - NightFish's Sept Sept and SuperDave come to mind. you could end up spending all your time reading up on what others have done and not playing!!!!
  17. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

Not having ubers is a big deal. If you can get over that, sp is much more satisfying. Plus, that 6 month break for d3 / civ v / dota and 1.5 years later, you have all your stuff exactly the same as you left it!
  18. Unfadable

Unfadable IncGamers Member

Community and playing at your own pace for me. I was a diehard bnet player back in the day, but playing HC SP and doing full clears at my own pace is so fun and rewarding. I love going through and breaking every single urn, killing every mob and discovering the whole map. Surprisingly a good 95% of my best finds are from things like urns or mobs that I would skip blazing through on bnet to do MF runs. I say give it a shot man, you might like it.
  19. Thyiad

Thyiad D2 Assassin, Barbarian<br>& Single Player & SP Tra

That's not entirely accurate. :p But they will be joking. ;)

Happy hoarding. 20k items was my tops.

The knowledge base here was my draw. There's just so much known about so many aspects of the game. Plus no matter how 'odd' your plan, it's very rare someone here will say "well that's dumb, you should do ...".
  20. naranjadita

naranjadita IncGamers Member

It would be an epic family reunion if one runs into a b-net guy who's actually serious about that.