Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Confused with weapons

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by kRIMBO, Apr 23, 2012. | Replies: 16 | Views: 768

1. kRIMBO

kRIMBO IncGamers Member

Confused with weapons

I have something on my mind which I need someone to answer for me please.
    I'm guessing others will be confused by this too as it isn't simple.

I don't understand why if I played a Wizard. Why would I equip a wand with 10dmg when I could equip a sword with 25dmg.
    The weapon doesn't get used, only the skill, which is based from the % of weapon damage.

So wouldn't everyone just wield massive war-axes?
    Since its all skill based and the skill damage is based off the weapon damage.

I'm really confused by this.
    Whats the point in having a wand equipped rather than a powerful sword as a wizard?

Could anybody explain as this really doesn't make sense to me.
    Cheers.
  2. kazyn

kazyn IncGamers Member

Re: Confused with weapons

It's extremely simple, if the sword is better than the wand, wear the sword. Wands will be high-dps just like any other weapon. It will also have stats wizards will find very valuable. They will be prevalent, don't worry.
  3. MindGame

MindGame IncGamers Member

Even though spells aren't actually swinging your big giant axe, their cast speed is based on the attack speed of the weapon. So, skills basically use weapon DPS instead of weapon damage because of this. Your wand's magic missle might do half the damage as a 2 handed axe but you will be able to cast it much faster.

What this DOES mean is that a spell that has a high cost or long cooldown is better to use with your big damage, slow axe where as a spell that generates a resource is better to use with a fast casting wand.

EDIT: Also, if you think wand's do less DPS than swords, thats not true. From what it looks like right now in beta, wands seem if anything to have slightly higher dps than 1 handed swords and such. This makes sense considering wizard's can't dual wield so they aren't 100% comparable to a 1 handed sword.
  4. baenre

baenre IncGamers Member

While I do understand where you're coming from D2 was a game where you'd spent points in strength as a sorcerer to be able to use optimal armor and weapons.

That was then and this is now, so my guess is stats will even themselves out later in the game with wands giving better wizard related bonuses other than dps and thus making them preferable to any other kind of weapon.

Sent from a mobile device, please excuse my brevity.
  5. iAmAhab

iAmAhab IncGamers Member

There is a slight chance that you will find quite powerfull wands in the full version. Also, massive war-axes are slow as ****.
    It's all about balance.
  6. MindGame

Keep in mind slow weapons aren't necessarily bad. Arcane orb costs the same arcane power whether or not its doing 175% of your big slow axe's top end damage or 175% of your lower but faster wand's damage.

7. kRIMBO

kRIMBO IncGamers Member

Thanks for the replies guys. (rhyme lol)
    Makes much more sense now.
    I just couldn't understand how a dagger would benefit a wizard over a wand ha!
  8. iAmAhab

iAmAhab IncGamers Member

A very good point, thanks to the new skill/attribute system you will actually be able to experiment a lot with different equipment without worrying abour destroying your build in the process.

9. MindGame

IMO this fact is going to be a huge part of selecting what skills your character uses. Almost every skill seems to have a very large dependency on the speed of the weapon you're using.. to the point where I can't imagine making any build myself without the type of weapon (fast vs slow, dual wield vs 2 hand) coming into play.

I think it's weird that I don't see a ton of people talking about it...
  10. kRIMBO

kRIMBO IncGamers Member

I think i'm going to have a beastly sword and then an wizard orb in my offhand.
    Would look sweet as a nut for a wizard IMO.
    ;)
  11. Rashiminos

Rashiminos IncGamers Member

Not sure about weapon speed, but different weapons may have different class-specific bonuses later. If skill use is affected by weapon speed, then slow weapons will be the way to go. Thanks blizzard for screwing that up in advance, if that's the case.
  12. MindGame

Faster weapons are better for skills that generate X amount of a resource per hit. Like Bash. Every time you bash someone on a barb you get 6 fury, so if your weapon is faster you can get more fury per second. But an ability with a long cooldown that does a weapon damage % would favor slow weapons. It's a trade off

13. Zokar

Zokar IncGamers Member

Keep in mind that:
    1. a wand is a ranged wep. sometimes when i'd run out of AP if I use a sword it would make me start running to the mob, whereas if I used a wand, I would just sit there and shoot. later on, that could be important to the survivability of your character

2. later in the game, there can be affixes that modify your skills, and these will be on wands. this could be the clear defining advantage of why you would want to use a wand over a sword.

3. in the beta, you don't have to worry about 1 or 2, so that's why it didn't feel like an important choice.

14. Sky Tan

Sky Tan IncGamers Member

:)
    Yeah , cleared up some of the ??? since only just touched the OPEN BETA last weekend.

Btw, how do i know how much damage a skill is doing?
  15. droppin

droppin IncGamers Member

One thing y'all forgot. The orbs you use with wands, add + damage. That stat adds ALOT of damage to your skills and makes it equal with big 2 handers, but let's you stil cast fast with that wand. Also liek other people said, the wands+orbs will have wizard stats on it.
  16. Zorrah

Zorrah IncGamers Member

I did play with this a little, there's actually a spot on your character sheet that gives an overview. What winds up happening, is with a wand, you get your base wand damage + int if any on the wand. Then, your orb that you have in your offhand will have damage added itself, which is more damage and that orb itself will have int which is even more damage. Also, with a wand you can chose to have a shield, and I found quite a few shields with +int as well, which is an option if you want to up your def and dps. I really can foresee a lot of mid to end game hardcore wizards favoring wand and int shield.
  17. Manatou

Manatou IncGamers Member

I was looking for info on weps for casters and all the ruddy guides just talk about class specific ones, without explaining how the weapons work, eventually i just looked for weps that gave me mods that i wanted, like for a wd i had a dagger that gave +7 int, seeing how on the char info screen it says your damage is increased directly by your intelligence, so naturally buffing it would give greater damage, so i started stacking int mods. This was my only gripe about the beta.. not knowing something and no info available, like what is the point in equiping a monk with a weapon if it doesn't even use it, while you carry it around and it looks nice, when it came to fighting, the wep would magically disappear and you did punches and kicks.. The other gripe was with the wd, it started with a basic skill to melee, but after having chosen a skill, i couldn't revert to the melee option as it was no longer an option to choose, it was just missing totally from the skill selection window.