Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Confused barb noob

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Meczor, May 26, 2012. | Replies: 13 | Views: 2550

1. Meczor

Meczor IncGamers Member

I have edited the OP, the responses in the thread are probably to the questions I asked before.

Several months later and I'm back! Unfortunately with even more questions. Note that I have not been playing diablo the whole time that has passed as since I posted the thread originally.

One day when I was playing though nightmare for the first time a weapon dropped that was called the meatscraper. This weapon was way better than my axe so I decided to respec and use it instead of my axe humongous. My new weapon got me a bit further in to the game but not all the way through, well sort of. One day I stacked up on potions and beat nightmare (what was left at least) in a couple of hours. Feeling like a champ I started up a game on hell difficulty.

I could barely kill a damn zombie right outside the starting area.

I just found a "Bloodtree stump" of nightmare diablo and I want to respec so I can use it to punch things in hell. It does not have any increased attackspeed though so I am not sure if it is a good idea to spec WW. Should I spec frenzy instead? Tips on how to play frenzy barb in that case?

edit: I am playing singleplayer, trading for items is no option

Thanks in advance, Meczor
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  2. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

Hiya :)

WW barbs can be tough to play untwinked (i.e. with gear you find yourself), but it's very doable. WW's tiny +AR% bonus is a problem. Sigon's AR is great, another low-level option is the amulet and ring(s) from the Angelic set. Running NM Andariel for those might a good idea. Later on, Obedience's (Hel-Ko-Thul-Eth-Fal) chance to cast level 21 Enchant will give you a huge AR boost; it is fairly easy to make, though the base for that won't drop until Hell (drops are limited to 4 sockets in NM) so you'll need to burn a Larzuk quest if you want to use that earlier. It is an excellent merc weapon though. I'd recommend you two use normal and NM offensive mercs from act 2, which will give you the Blessed Aim and Might auras respectively.

1h vs 2h:
    At its fastest WW attacks every 4 frames (0.16 seconds). A two-hander (or 1h+shield) will attack at frames 4, 8, 12 etc. If you dual wield you attack with both weapons, except for the first attack (at frame 4) where you only hit with the primary weapon. Since two-handers do roughly twice the amount of damage their DPS is similar, but 1H have better breakpoints so it is much easier to reach a decent attack speed. More attacks also means you can also apply crushing blow faster. Obviously dual-wielding requires two rather than one good weapon which is also something to consider, especially untwinked.

Since, like I said, the base damage on 2H is roughly double 1H, 2H/dual-wielding BOTD is roughly the same. Grief adds a buttload of damage independent of base weapon damage and so puts everything else to shame, and is cheaper to boot (it needs a Lo). Before that Oath (Shael-Pul-Mal-Lum) is the best option, and can be made untwinked with a bit of luck (don't count on it though). Use two-handed swords as RW bases since you have the option to dual-wield if you find another good weapon. Butcher's Pupil is an excellent weapon, and can take you through Hell if you get the runes to upgrade it to the elite version. Smoke and Lionheart are both very cheap and good armours that you can keep to the end-game. That's about all I can say; your success will largely depend on how lucky you are with drops.
  3. Meczor

Meczor IncGamers Member

Thanks a lot man! I just now when I played remembered that I had Humongous (unique giant axe) hidden in my stash. I did a lot better right away when using it, is it a good weapon? As i mentioned in my OP I am playing with my brother, he has a defensive mercenary from act 2 on normal that gives an defensive buff that increases defense (who would have guessed), if I buy a offensive merc in act 2 during nightmare will they have different auras that stack? And one more question, if someone picks a set item up and sells it, will it drop again? There is a small chance that someone that I played LAN with did so.

Thanks again man
  4. Thyiad

Thyiad D2 Assassin, Barbarian<br>& Single Player & SP Tra

If you're playing untwinked, I'll suggest having a look at Mat, Pat & Guardian Compliation in the SPF. A lot of those are untwinked tourney chars and can give you a good idea of different approaches in less-than-well-geared characters.

The aura's won't stack (IE you wont get level 10 might + level 10 might giving you level 20 might), so you're better off having different auras.

The item drops are random and there is nothing stopping the same item dropping again whether or not the same type of item has been dropped/sold/kept.

Welcome to the forum.
    Last edited: May 27, 2012
  5. Meczor

Meczor IncGamers Member

I am back for more help because I am bad at diablo. The original post contains the new questions, thanks in advance
  6. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

You can't frenzy with bloodtree stump ( it needs two weapons ). You can try whirlwinding, but it's going to be slow.
    Concentrate is an option if u want to respec, as lot of items give off-weapon ias ( eg. Treachery armor )
  7. Meczor

Meczor IncGamers Member

Oh well that's a bummer... I can't get anywhere in hell with the meatscraper and I got really excited when bloodtree stump dropped. I forgot to mention that I am playing singleplayer so I can't trade for items. Am i better of with the meatscraper and WW or can I progress through hell with concentrate and my new weapon?

Edit: I have been reading some guides on berserker barbs, bloodtree stump was mentioned as a decent weapon in one of them, sounds highly interesting, do i have any reason not to go berserk with my new weapon?
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  8. zaphodbrx

Depends, if you like berserk. Concentrate and berserk do the same thing, they are both single target attacks and swing at the same speed. Concentrate does physical damage and berserk does magical ( it's damage is also higher ). On the flip side, berserk reduces your defense to zero and does not leech. Concentrate leeches, is uninterruptible, and gives a defense bonus to boot. You will also need to learn to use warcries - howl, taunt, warcry regardless of what build you use.

Personally I think if you like whirlwind then shael the bloodtree stump and call it done, it's not the worst weapon ever or anything. Easily better than meat scraper. One thing, if you're using /player settings, tone it down to p1 for Hell.
  9. Meczor

Meczor IncGamers Member

I think I will stick to WW then, thanks a lot for the help. Only one more question, shael the bloodtree stump? Shael is a rune but as far as I know you can't rune unique items...
  10. zaphodbrx

Larzuk gives socketing quest rewards ( 1st quest in act 5 ).
  11. Meczor

Meczor IncGamers Member

I didn't know that worked on unique items, thanks a lot man!
  12. Pyrotechnician

Pyrotechnician IncGamers Site Pal

As zaph said you can use the socket quest reward to socket the bloodtree, putting a shael in it is dependent on if it will get you to the next breakpoint with your gear setup but it will most likely help you in your situation.

The question between WW/Concentrate/Beserk is a preference thing. Beserk and Concentrate are single target and they both have their ups and downs. WW is obviously multi target but doesn't have the large damage boost that the other skills have. It really is a trade off and all of them are workable using a combination of attacking and your war cries.

Also, just because you are in single player does not mean that you can not trade items, we have a very active trading community for people that play single player, look under the trading forums and read the rules there if you are interested.

13. Damric

Damric IncGamers Member

If you decide to go with concentrate or berserk, try making insight or obedience poles. They have incredible damage and the runes are pretty easy to find.
  14. langevi

langevi IncGamers Member

Concentrate is excellent with 20 skill points in BO(synergy). More important than skill points in the actual skill.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012