Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Conc Barb Build Questions

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by LANG DEEZY, Apr 23, 2012. | Replies: 14 | Views: 4188

1. LANG DEEZY

LANG DEEZY IncGamers Member

Conc Barb Build Questions

Hi All,

I am in the process of making a EBOTD War Pike wielding Concentrate Barbarian for the first time. I've always loved the look and range of a 2-handed weapon Barb, so at the expense of shield mods, I am happily pursuing a damage-focused Conc Barb. I was thinking about a Bezerker, but without a shield I feel Conc is more viable. Also, the EBOTD WP was much cheaper to trade for than a Zerker, etc. I am not super rich beyond the items here, so this is a factor. I will primarily use this Barb for PvM, but would be interested to know if it has the possibility of working in PvP with some changes.

Here is the build I am aiming for:

Stats:
    Enough STR for Gear
    Enough DEX for Gear (Basically, Base + Gear Mods)
    Rest VIT
    None ENE (duh)

Skills:
    MAX Battle Orders
    MAX Shout
    MAX Spear Mastery
    MAX Concentrate
    Rest (Besides Pre-reqs) into Bash

Gear:
    Helm- Arreats with 40ED/15IAS
    Armor- Fortitude, 30 Res
    Weapon- 400%ED EBOTD War Pike (Spear Class)
    Gloves- Draculs (?)
    Belt- Arachnid (?)
    Boots- Gore Rider (though I only have Sandstorms right now)
    Amulet- Highlord's
    Rings- 5% Bul-K and Raven Frost

Torch, Anny

My questions are:
    1. Does Dexterity matter for this build (beyond gear requirements)? i.e. If Conc is uninterruptible, does my AR matter?
    1a. If Dexterity does matter, will the Angelic set be enough to make up for the stat deficiency?
    2. Are Draculs the best choice for gloves here?
    3. I know there are other belts that perhaps are better for this build, but will Arachnid prove to be a real liability?
    4. What charms will be most important to get for this build? Obviously I'm going to want +Life, as well as FRW due to not using Enigma, but what skills or other charms would make this build more effective?
    5. While I am going for a damage-focused build, would it be smart to invest a couple extra pts into Iron Skin at the expense of Bash to further make up for the lack of a shield? My first thought was no, because the main bonus of a shield is Block rate not defense, but I'd like to hear some opinions.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help! Any feedback is welcome, barring insults at my weapon choice -- deal with it!

-LANG:thankyou:DEEZY
  2. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

Re: Conc Barb Build Questions

Hi :)

First off, I don't PvP so my advice has no use in that sphere. That said, from the little I know I doubt that this build will be any good there. I know people use two-handed Berserk barbs with success against some builds (those without block?), but those barbs have teleport, much higher ED and a magic attack that cuts through DR (there's basically no way to effectively reduce/absorb magic damage).

1. Uninterruptibility means FHR and a slow attack doesn't matter, you still need AR to hit things.
    1a. The damage increase from Highlord's is substantial, so ideally you'd want to use that. If AR is a problem then get some GCs.
    2. Laying of Hands gives 50 fire res, 20 IAS (which you want in this build) and most importantly 350 ED to demons. Can't beat these for a PvM barb.
    3. Eh, no, but there's really no point to using it. String of Ears should be pretty cheap, use that. Another option is Thundergod's which basically makes you immune to Willowisps.
    4. I'd say AR GCs with life.
    5. No, there's not much point to more defense, focus on damage. Use your shouts (War Cry and/or Howl) in tough situations.

Other things:
    - BK isn't really all that. It's not a bad choice but another RF or a rare ring with leech and AR will serve you better.
    - Your weap has a breakpoint just past 100, so you'll want 45 off-weapon IAS. LoH, HLW and the jeweled Arreat's gets you there.
    - Get a Might merc with Reaper's Toll. Since the weap already has life leech his helm/armour can be pretty much anything.
    - Just in case you're open to suggestion RE the weap: With a Colossus Blade you'll hit 11 instead of 13 frames per attack, which feels muuuccchh faster in-game. IMO the tighter damage range (higher min, lower max) works well on a build like this.
  3. LANG DEEZY

Thanks for your reply hubb, perhaps I will try to get LoH and Tgods. In reference to your answer to Question 4, so is it not important to get skills gcs for this build then? Also, I am not familiar with the abbreviation "HLW" -- what are you referring to there?

Thanks!

LANG:thankyou:DEEZY
  4. Pyrotechnician

Pyrotechnician IncGamers Site Pal

In the majority of melee based builds, charms with damage, attack rating, and life usually easily outweight the benefits of additional skill points. Warcry grandcharms are nice for the boost to BO and Shout, but unless you want to prebuff with these and then switch out your charms to the AR/life ones its not worth it (and in my opinion switching out lots of gear takes too much time for normal pvm play). Mastery and combat GCs would only provide you with marginal returns in off weapon enhanced damage, etc. (again not worth it in comparison to AR/life charms).

HLW is short for Highlord's Wrath which is the amulet you plan on using. Hubb usually knows what he's talking about so I'm going to agree with all of his recommendations.
  5. TheWorkingBoor

TheWorkingBoor IncGamers Member

hubb & Pyrotechnician certainly have you on the right path, so I don't have a lot to add. But I recently made a single-player, PvM Concentrate-barb that was very similar to what you're planning (link). Hopefully that may provide you with some useful feedback/ideas/validation/whatever.

The biggest differences between our builds:
    - the single biggest difference is possibly in our choice of mercenaries... a lot of people would - justifiably - choose a Reapers Toll/Might merc, but I chose a Faith/Rogue for the extra AR and IAS. In my case (no on-weapon IAS) the rogue was a good fit, but with eBotD having nice on-weapon IAS already, the Town Guard is quite possibly a better choice. Though, I did like the extra AR from Fanaticism, even discounting the IAS.

- my weapon was a Death runeword, with the base sword found in version 1.07 (the ethereal damage bonus gets applied twice in later versions - kindof like cube-socketed ethereal armors now), along with Guillaume's Face for the helm. I just did it primarily for the novelty of 100% Deadly Strike & Crushing Blow, but that doesn't mean my choices were superior to the eBotD/Arreats you have planned.

I think what you have planned will work - very well in PvM; Not playing PvP, I can't knowledgeably comment there, but I agree with hubb's points against getting your hopes up.
  6. LANG DEEZY

Thanks for the help guys, I will definitely take your comments under advisement as I develop my Conc Barb. You'll be happy to know he is lvl 27 now and moving right along!

Anyways, I was thinking of another possibility for gear. Instead of Draculs/LoH gloves, Tgods/dungo/string belts, and gores, I was thinking of going with partof the IK set instead. With IK Glove+Belt+Boots, I would get solid AR, Life, Defense, FRW, strength, dex, IAS, and other good mods. What do you guys think of this setup with my EBOTD-WP, Arreats, Fort, Highlords, BK, Raven, etc?

7. Pyrotechnician

I actually like the combination of the 3 IK set pieces for most of my barb builds because as you said it provides some nice bonuses. I'll let hubb weigh in on it, but if you do go with that setup you'll look almost exactly like my concentrate barb (disregarding the weapon choice)
  8. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

Yep, the bonuses from that combo are crazy, especially considering the level you can start wearing them. On a leveled barb I'd always use LoH/Gores for their offensive mods, as you can get enough AR from charms and life/stats is not an issue. Up to you.

*Edit: A Faith bow merc is definitely an option, especially if you find that stuff generally dies before you merc can catch up and proc Decrep. Without Enigma this happens more often that not.
    Last edited: May 4, 2012
  9. LANG DEEZY

Thanks for the help folks, I'm really liking this barb build so far. I love seeing my defense go up when I attack with Conc!

Happy Killing,

10. Mrjones

Mrjones IncGamers Member

Wouldn't a nosferatu coil or a verdungo be a better belt?
  11. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

You'd use Nosferatu's if it gets you to a breakpoint - I also always look at the breakpoints under Decrep to see if a bit of IAS has an effect there. He could use it to open up his helm socket, but I'd say the 15DR/MDR from Strings is more useful (or T-gods).

IMO Verdungo's isn't useful outside of PvP, except on a Berserker. Barbs already have so much HP that you're better off with more leech (or T-gods).
  12. Pyrotechnician

Also, if I remember correctly the +vitality from verdungo's is not boable, T-gods ends up being much better in this situation due to the fact that it has 20 str/20 vit, so you can put the points you would have in str directly into vit which is then multiplied by BO. Either that or string which has the DR stats with leach which is just great for any melee build.
  13. Ghoulz

Ghoulz IncGamers Member

Got a Q myself. If you can't decide a specific weapon class, would you be good off still just 1 pointing each usable weapon mastery, and maybe maxing iron skin, bash, or even berserk or whirlwind?
  14. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

^Sure. Seeing as Conc doesn't have a whole lot of ED/AR you'll miss mastery, so I'd recommend you max Berserk (and Shout) and use that as often as is safe (and against tougher targets with DR). If using it often is not what you had planned for your barb then you could spend some of those points in Bash instead. WW is functionally the same thing as Conc but suffers even more when you don't choose a mastery, so there's no need for that.

@Pyro: Good point, I didn't think about the fact that T-god's would actually give you as much HP if you stat in the +str :thumbsup:
  15. twillight

twillight IncGamers Member

you could halve the points for the Mastery, as from that it looses progression strongly. Might find more use those 10 SP elsewhere.