Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Coming IAS nerf is 50%-75%?!

Discussion in 'Monk' started by Enso, Jun 17, 2012. | Replies: 15 | Views: 3978

1. Enso

Enso IncGamers Member

Another site has datamined patch 1.03 and looked at IAS item values. All of them appear to be nerfed by 50%-75%.
    http://d3db.com/news/id/268-datamined-10310057-patch-notes-unofficial/
    Can anyone confirm this?
    IAS is definitely OP, but I think a 25% nerf would have been more appropriate. Monks aren’t going to be any better off despite the lowered monster damage if their LoH and LpSS get nerfed this hard. [​IMG]
    Not to mention a lot of people who bought expensive IAS items on the RMAH are going to be pissed off. Yet another legal ****storm for Blizzard.
  2. pandatamer

pandatamer IncGamers Member

Yep. It's on the patch notes.
  3. Terenas

Terenas IncGamers Member

Maybe IAS is overpowered, but the monk in general does not look overpowered to me.
    What I see is that IAS increases your damage number faster than practically anything else (so what ?).
    We are left with FoT as the only viable option, anything else would be too slow to be actually usable.

I am not exactly thrilled.
  4. Enso

Enso IncGamers Member

Me neither (especially considering I finally got Tal's Guardianship a while ago). The monk is definitely not overpowered, and stacking attack speed with heal on hit modifiers was pretty much the only way for us to stay alive in inferno and have decent DPS at the same time. Not to mention that attacking 3 times a second is just plain fun. Blizz's argument is that "IAS is so good that everyone has to use it, we want builds without it to be just as viable." This is irrational, because everyone uses vitality, should we nerf that too? What about primary stats? And what's wrong with having a powerful and valuable stat that stands out from the rest of the lackluster incremental increases that constitute the affix pool?

So the question is, will IAS even be worth devoting an affix slot to after this nerf? And if it's not, what new methods can monks use to get by in inferno?
  5. aj2000

aj2000 IncGamers Member

The IAS nerf on the surface looks to be a simple global nerf, but on a deeper level its a nerf that specifically targets monk, who hurts a LOT more from IAS nerf then all the other class.

So either the intention is also add a major nerf monk as they feel monks are OP, or they have no clue as to the consequences of their design decision.

By my rough guess the IAS nerf will equate a 20-25% spirit generation penalty on monks for most players.
  6. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

Keep in mind that they're theoretically also lowering life, damage, and most particularly spike damage of A2+ monsters. It seems to me that this would be most in favor of monks (of all classes). Barbs can just pile up HP to deal with damage spikes; monks' heals lose effectiveness if you keep tossing more and more hp on instead of building mitigation.

Then, too, Blizzard seems to not be concerned with individual class balance issues in this patch; they seem to want the big picture to start heading in the right direction.

7. magicrectangle

magicrectangle IncGamers Member

I don't even use BoH anymore. I replaced it with cyclone strike (reduced spirit cost). I heal more from a cycle of crippling wave surrounded by trash than I do from BoH. My life isn't even that high (44k), but BoH is basically nothing. The only thing it is good for is the fear, but blinding flash does basically the same thing, only better.

Cyclone strike is also just amazing for grouping, so yeah.

That seems to be it. After they patch it they'll probably notice "oh, monk spirit generation is screwed" and then fix that the patch after :(

What they should have done is leave the IAS values alone, but make IAS reduce your damage by 1/3 of its value. So 15% ias would increase your attack speed 15% but reduce your damage 5%. That would translate to a 9.25% damage increase from it, which puts it more in line with the other damage stats you can get on slots - and still makes it good for spirit generation.

8. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

:p All of your heals are still integer heals. Life on hit, life per spirit spent, potions, life rep. All things that would make you prefer to get your effective hp through increasing mitigation more than hp (though of course this gets difficult eventually).

I don't think adding another layer of complexity to the problem like that is the solution. Halving values messes things up, sure, but I think this is just going to underline the importance of fast weapons and on-weapon ias (nerfed or not). How many people do you know that were using daggers when they could get a higher-dps sword, mace, axe, or fist weapon and still easily reach 2.x attacks per second?
  9. aj2000

aj2000 IncGamers Member

Very true =3 That's what I would expect the patching cycle to be like, the time between 1.03 & 1.1 will be an interesting one for monks.

I like that IAS idea, or as someone else posted a speed normalized spirit gain system that would also fix 2 handers. Alas quick fix jobs seems to be the order of the day, let's hope 1.1 provides a more thought out solution.

10. magicrectangle

magicrectangle IncGamers Member

Increasing mitigation is obviously key to making your LoH more effective, but you need a big enough pool that you can survive a few large hits in a row, too. Given the multiplicative relationship of health and mitigation in calculating effective health, once you have decent resists/armor some vitality/%life is by far the cheapest way to get your EHP up to the point where you can absorb enough hits that "spike" damage isn't a problem.

In my tank gear (IE for grouping) I use a dagger with IAS on it. It also has LoH and a socket which I added a star amethyst to for more LoH. It is a measly 600 dps weapon, but when I'm in a group I don't give a toss about that - I just spam cyclone strike and crippling wave.

11. Kaynar

Kaynar IncGamers Member

Yeh, nerf vitality too! And also, start using thorns! Who knows with 10k dmg return, if you manage to endure 100 hits (lol) the elites with 1m life will actually die! lulz! Aaaaaahhh.... Actizzard......

12. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

This really is bad news. I expected as much, but I still had hopes that the monk would not get screwed on this one. Fast attack speed + LoH +fast spirit regen was the only thing really making the monk viable. Guess I may have to play another class until 1.04 :(

we'll see though, don't know for sure until we actually play the patch.
  13. Enso

Enso IncGamers Member

It's true that we won't know how bad this hurts us or if it even does until we know how much they're reducing monster damage and health by. However, since monks are the most IAS dependent class in the game, they would have to nerf monsters HARD to make up for this. We shall see.
  14. iESCAPISM

iESCAPISM IncGamers Member

Supposedly some IAS gear isn't even working right now, so idk, maybe some things will simply even out. Something about some of the IAS on non-weapons being coded wrong so that in practice, your pants with IAS makes you hump faster, not hit faster. We'll have to see how badly this will hurt.

I, for one, think that IAS is too powerful - for all classes - as it is right now. Hopefully monks will get other buffs, because I definitely agree that we suffer the most from this change (barbs would, but the way they play right now they don't really rely on generators that need IAS to fuel their Fury)
  15. WhiteGiant

WhiteGiant IncGamers Member

well i was really concerned first ; but iam actually just doing fine with my monk and i only have 31% IAS which equates to only 1,73 ATS
    i doubt that i will get screwed over if that changes to something like 1,47 ATS. especially since they said they also adjust the difficulty.

and that is because i never set my priority on IAS from the moment i knew they were going to nerf it (even though i didnt know that the nerf itself would be quite this severe).

also IAS was always overpowered ; and anyone who played seriously knew it. which is why IAS was incredibly overpriced right from the start. so i focused on gear with High rolls on Attributes which are considered medicore in comparsion to IAS.

and now I am sitting on a monk with 54k HP 880 All ress ~6300 AR with enchantress (11,8 k with keen eye / Hard Target),
    750 HP reg and 550 LOH.
    and 19,5 k DPS. ( iam currently only having a 750 dps weapon with 1.3 ats 71 critdmg 100 vit / 180 dex )
    iam currently piling money for a good weapon with ~1k dps and ~600 LOH maybe some dex / critdmg.

I didn't mention these stats to show off. but to show that IAS is not everything. ( though your skill choice could be pivotal.)

I guess this patch will hit most monks the hardest. but generally speaking i don't think that IAS is the root of the monks problem.
    but the poorly designed toolkit of the Monk. not only is it the smallest of all classes.. its full of clearly bad decisions insufficient and ineffective Spirit Spenders. and poor design decision of Dual Wield and 2hand weapons.

Dual wield is incredibly expensive if the intention is not gimp yourself. and 2hand weapons lack good affixes. in fact except for the elemental damage delta affixes the 2hand affixes are exactly the same amount and strength as the 1hand affixes. which makes for very poor and unsatisfying weapons. how about allowing 2 sockets in 2hand weapons and 6-8 affixes instead of 4-6 ?
  16. windstriker

windstriker IncGamers Member

If this is true, I really wonder what I should do with my monk. Not that fun to see my friend playing his wizard with much worse gear than my monk has, and he's farming act 3 now when I can barely handle act 2. My guess is that he'll have an even easier time in act 3 after next patch, whereas things will be exactly the same for me in act 2 as IAS nerf and nerf of mobs in act 2 probably will even out each other.