Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Coming back to d3 - is monk for me?

Discussion in 'Monk' started by Krazl, May 25, 2013. | Replies: 1 | Views: 2315

1. Krazl

Krazl IncGamers Member

A few friends of mine have talked me into playing some D3 again but I'm unsure what to invest my old stash of gold on.

Previously I had played a WW/permazerk barb but running through everything wasn't my idea of fun. I tried CM wizard as well - but I'm honestly too lazy to push buttons that fast and it seemed the opposite of the barb - I had to stand still to really get things going.

I'm looking to be able to (in order of importance):
    1. Not die / be able to tank elite packs/ubers on higher mp levels.
    2. Do some high burst to kill elite packs.
    3. Not be too terribly annoying in a group setting.
    4. Mop up groups of white mobs.
    5. Not let treasure goblins escape.
    6. Farm paragon levels (meh).
    7. Farm legendaries/demonic essences (meh).

As long as the combat is engaging I think paragon xp and loot will just come as a result of enjoying wanton destruction.

After doing some research I was thinking of trying a build like the one found here as it seems a good mix of movement and damage output:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faFXBgbKFTw&feature=player_embedded

If the class/build are not feasible for my goals - what other class/build would you recommend?

Assuming that build is feasible to use with my priority list what MP can I expect to farm with a 1B investment?
    I realize this answer will very largely based on how well I do AH hunting for items.

I would focus on purchasing single resist armor items and most likely dual wield lifesteal 1handers, a hard hitting slow mainhand with an echoing fury offhand. I was also curious as to the priority of stats on a mainhand - namely if it's better to get a weapon that has very high raw average damage (1000+) lifesteal and a socket, or ~800-850 average damage, socket, and crit damage.

I'm not exactly sure how the spirit generators and empowered wave calculate damage either - does it change the % weapon damage based on which hand is the next to swing or does it stick strictly with the mainhand weapon?

Phew that post got a little out of hand, I didn't intially plan on that barrage of questions.
  2. Genocides

Genocides IncGamers Site Pal

Wave of Light is mainhand only, you don't like fast button clicking yet that build has combination strike that you have to juggle between way of the hundred fist, fist of thunder to take advantage of and (that WotHF rune he uses has a stacking attack/run speed that you'd wanna try and keep up, blinding flash, and wave of light. Higher damage mainhand. Probably something like Fist of Azturasq with a socket and a marquise ruby, or if you want the dual leech some rare spear/axe etc. with high average damage and whatever stats you typically see.

I use a marquise ruby in my setup, but you usually see Emeralds.

Combination strike works like this you start with wothf get it stacked, switch to FoT-quickening, and juggle those two while using wave of light after you use blinding flash going by that build. It will stay up as long as you are in combat without having to juggle (if you don't use blazing fist for some reason) and you can keep using fot if you need the spirit, but if you stay out of combat for ~3 seconds combination strike falls off. It shows up on the char sheet so you can see how it works for yourself.

Since it's WotHF-Blazing, and FoT-Quickening you will be juggling the two anyways.