Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Come in and rate the class skills!

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by yovargas, Apr 12, 2012. | Replies: 74 | Views: 3750

1. yovargas

yovargas IncGamers Member

Come in and rate the class skills!

Come in and join the fun! We have started a little project that were hoping to get a lot more people to participate in. All you have to do is click on the spreadsheet link below, add your name to one of the columns, and go down the list rating what you think of each skill on a scale of 1 to 5. Different people are taking the ratings a little differently but don't worry about it, just rate them however make sense to you. At the bottom of the sheet, there are different tabs with fun charts showing the overall ratings of each class and of every skill. The more data we get the more interesting the charts are so were hoping to get a decent group to put in their ratings. Here's the sheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApH7NL-IyXeudDBHSFozTFF4R055Wk9jSTEzUHkzOWc

Thanks a ton to Capt Goodman for putting that together!

And Varquynne has put together this cool script that shows the data in a different format:

http://public.tableausoftware.com/views/D3classratingsbyincgamersmembers/Overallratings

Here is the original post from me that accidentally started this if you're curious, but it's pretty but obsolete now. :p

Ok, maybe not that scientific. :p I was looking over the skills noting which skills I like and didn't like on each character and decided I was going to rate the overall coolness each of the skills on a scale of 1 to 5. I was basing this mainly on whether I thought the skill was well designed or interesting and less on my personal like. For example, I don't personally much like pets and I hate long cooldowns but I still gave Gargantuan and Archon 5's. I then averaged out all the skill scores thinking that it would be an interesting way to rate the classes. Here are my results, obviously based on what we currently know about them right now (also, ignoring any rune possibilities):

AVERAGE SKILL RATING
    Monk -- 3.95
    Witch doctor -- 3.91
    Demon hunter -- 3.87
    Barbarian -- 3.63
    Wizard -- 3.56

To my surprise, my beloved Demon Hunter did not come out #1 though this is mainly because I gave Shadow Power a 1 based on my dislike of its current description. If it turns out to be awesome, she would easily rise to the top for me. Otherwise, a this does accurately reflect my interest in each of the classes right now. No surprise to me that the wizard is at the bottom because she has pretty much always been my least favorite. But overall my biggest surprise is that they came out as close as they did which means that though I see a lot of room for improvements here and there, overall I'm really happy an excited about all of the classes. Good job Blizzard! :thumbup:

So anybody else wanna get this nerdy with the ratings and see what they come up with? :p
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  2. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

Re: A bored nerd super-scientifically rates the classes

Hunh, that's an interesting way to go about rating classes even if it's not very scientific :p. And since I am obsessed about this game, I shall make doing this my project this evening :p.

My ratings:

Barbarian: 3.5
    Demon Hunter: 3.25
    Monk: 3.25
    Witch Doctor: 3.8
    Wizard: 3.9

My results are of course, quite subjective as I rated the skills based on how well I thought they epitomised the particular fantasy which each class is selling as well as how 'good' the skill actually was. I also only looked at the base effect. Maybe I'll do this again sometime taking runes into consideration.

Even highest score (Wizard) is only 0.65 ahead of the two lowest-scoring classes, and really, grading each and every skill has given me a new appreciation for how well-designed each one is.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  3. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

yova, i am reading this late and i must sleep now but i will give you my rankings tomorrow......assuming you still give a damn that is. ummm i like z00t idea....post reserved

barb 3.05
    Wiz 2.57
    WD 2.57
    DH 2.52
    Monk 2.48
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  4. cozmiccc

cozmiccc IncGamers Member

Hmm... if someone really has plenty of spare time, perhaps made a shared spreadsheet with all class tabs listing all their skills and column for personal score? That way people that want to can input their personal score for each skills then automatically calculated within the document.

Having said that though, I found that giving score for every skills to be tricky as the 5 rune effects really change everything and rubs a different feel to me, so depending on runes a single skill can be my most or least favorite :S
  5. yovargas

I made a spreadsheet but how would I share it?
  6. Apocalypse

possible mail to flux? maybe he can put it out there for you?

i will do this tonight for sure just cause, diablo 3 lol. before i do it i am going to list the character 1-5 on how i feel i will play them in order then i will do this. be interesting to see how it changes. i am going to consider all skill runes though on mine
  7. Capt Goodman

Capt Goodman IncGamers Member

Did you put it on Google Docs or in Excel, if it's in Docs you can just make it public to everyone and post a link to it here.

Edit: I'm making a Doc spreadsheet we can all use to input our info on, and it'll pop out some cool charts to show preferences. (I'm bored at work)

Edit 2: Here it is. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApH7NL-IyXeudDBHSFozTFF4R055Wk9jSTEzUHkzOWc

You can input your preferences for classes you've used, and leave others blank if you don't feel knowledgeable enough to rank them (like me). Rank them on a scale of 1-5 and your input will be displayed on the charts on the separate tabs, along with the rest of the community. I'll add more columns in, if needed down the road.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  8. Sulle

Sulle IncGamers Member

Yovargas...mate you need to take a break from Diablo3. Your threads are mostly about how bored you are lol :d

Believe me if you work out every day that will keep you busy and fit also read some books or learn a language(I am learning arabic atm) and of course give the attention your wife/GF needs because the 15th next month hell will almost certainly break loose :D
  9. Capt Goodman

I think my hard work deserves one bump at least :p
  10. yovargas

Woohoo! Thanks, Cap! :D I'll come back to that in a bit.

And Sulle - nothing seems to break my D3 obsession. ;) But I'm actually off to the gym right now............adios!
  11. megacoffee

megacoffee IncGamers Member

This is not nearly nerdy enough. I expect a bug-free web application where we can score each class's skills ourselves, complete with a stats page to display the data in various nerdy ways.

Get to work!
  12. Capt Goodman

Haha, it's the best I can do at work :p

I only did the active skills as you can probably tell. Was seriously bored this morning.
  13. Apocalypse

you know, a listing of what everyone rated each skill would be nice. it would start many debates between me and yova for sure
  14. Capt Goodman

Well, as long as you label your column with your name, and he does the same, you should be able to see what both you and he put in there, and compare.
  15. Apocalypse

i just noticed it now, you sir are awesome. deserves more than 1 bump
  16. Capt Goodman

:)

Thanks. I'll be interested to see what this looks like when we have some input from everyone in here. Should be a pretty interesting little tool.
  17. Apocalypse

i hope more members do it, would be interesting to see . is there a way to get it to average the number out?

also my ranking will be based only on how i see the skills, if i dont like it then it gets a 1, i dont give a rats *** about design or what not. its all about me lol
  18. Capt Goodman

The charts are the average of all the input received from everyone. And you can use whatever metric you want to rate the skills, as long as you aren't doing something like 5's for all Barb skills and 1's for everyone else no matter what.

19. Apocalypse

for me i will be judgeing all skills against the other skills for that class only. i will take into consideration skills vs other skills of the same group, for instance spirit generators will be judged against each other more so. mainly cause i wont need 4 of them

edit: reading all these again i now realize how bad the descriptions are lol
  20. Capt Goodman

Haha, I thought about putting links to each skill on there, and decided against it. There is the skill list link at the top now for whoever needs it..