Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Co-Op DESTROYS Story

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Beta Forum' started by OhMan, Apr 22, 2012. | Replies: 19 | Views: 2079

1. OhMan

OhMan Diablo: IncGamers Member

Co-Op DESTROYS Story

I've been on the Closed Beta for quite some time but today I did a playthrough with all the open noobs and let me tell you, co-op DESTROYS story.

All the dialogue is skippable, even including cutscenes like with Cain and the Skeleton King. There is no way to disable skipping. So if you want to actually enjoy the storyline of Diablo 3 don't do it with random pubbies because they will skip everything and there is nothing you can do about it. -.-

I was looking forward to doing my first playthrough in 4 player co-op but now I think I will be doing it solo.

Also, one more ****ty thing: when you are about to fight the Skeleton King a window comes up where you have 59 seconds until the battle starts, if you press CANCEL on that window everyone who pressed ACCEPT goes into the boss battle and you have to SIT OUT THE ENTIRE THING. Very retarded mechanic...
  2. starrise

starrise IncGamers Member

Re: Co-Op DESTROYS Story

Solo it is!
  3. HeatherS

HeatherS IncGamers Member

They do this so when you play and have already beaten the game you dont have to listen to the story over and over. Im sure you know this. i plan on playing solo or with my hub at first and then later it wont matter if everyone skips the story. I actually like the "mechanic of it" and I think they did just right when doing this. 2 years from now when people are still playing they will love not having to listen to the story until they can more foward.
  4. fnaxqtr

fnaxqtr IncGamers Member

Well that for is this forum. You can team up with some forum buddies or some other kind and thats it.
    I wont be playing with pubs anyway, you never know if they are completely "retarded" and slow the game down and ruin your progress ;)
  5. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

You really shouldn't be playing in pubs if you want to listen to the story. This is just common sense.
  6. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

That's the reason I'm going to play it through Normal with a friend of mine.
    We already made the rule that we will not rush or skip anything.

After that: ASAP to Inferno
  7. Urzuxo

Urzuxo IncGamers Member

A have to agree here. Some people don't want to see/hear things more than once and those people are most likely to be in public games. Co-op most definitively doesn't destroy story, it's public games (due to the majority of players that use public games).

8. OhMan

There should be an option for the host to disable cut-scene skipping, that's all I'm saying.

Or at the very least, make quest dialogue replayable.
  9. Franz

Franz IncGamers Member

I will have to play through my first time with my brother, that just hates cutscenes and dialogues. :(
  10. Such Violent Storms

Such Violent Storms IncGamers Member

The cutscene skipping needs to only happen when ALL players have chosen to skip. This is the mechanic in GuildWars and it simply works. Or at least, 3 out of 4 players, 2/3 players, 1/2 players required to skip.
  11. Urzuxo

Urzuxo IncGamers Member

Yeah that is not a bad idea at all.

12. Tryzx

Tryzx IncGamers Member

^This. And they should also add an option for the host to automatically skip dialogues; I'm pretty sure no one wants to hear the same things over and over again when farming inferno. And you could make that option unlockable only after you finish normal or something like that.
  13. Chaosmage

Chaosmage IncGamers Member

Pseudo Elitism
    There is nothing like it.

You gonna hear the story more than enough times anyway, man up.
  14. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

this times infinity

15. Flux

Flux Administrator

As others have said, the design is probably a good thing for 6 months in, when you've heard all the dialogues and seen all the quests, etc, 50x. But it would suck for your first play through, if you actually wanted to absorb the atmosphere and story and such.

I think playing through with others right from the start could be great, but obviously you'd need to have friends who were on your schedule, who shared your level of patience, who wanted to co-op, etc. Public rushing games from the launch seems like a horrible idea to me. I don't even enjoy them now in the beta, when I'm just screwing around for half an hour and looking to do a Leoric run.
  16. Michal

Michal IncGamers Member

that is the reason why I will be playing solo on my first playthrough. Wanna take my time reading and listening to stories etc.

Which brings me to a qustion - when I was playing, my friends were joining my games without invites - is there a way to prevent this? I couldn't find any option for that, only for making the game open to the general public. It's a nice feature, but I won't want someone to pop in while I'm solo-ing.
  17. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

There is a toggle setting in the options to choose if friends can join your private games or not, it's defaulted to on.

Someone said that if you set your status to 'busy' that will also prevent friend's from joining, but I don't know if that is true.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  18. Michal

Michal IncGamers Member

ah, sweet, thanks!
  19. Guitardeth

Guitardeth IncGamers Member

Join a clan or friends if you wanna play co-op and trust this won't happen. I'm looking for a few members to do
    co-ops with. Hit me up on my site if you wanna join up.

www.xpcgaming.com
  20. OhMan

I've assembled a team. My brother and two mates, we are going to LAN up (oh waiiiiit), I mean internet-up and 4 player co op that **** each as a different class.

I just wish it could be 5 player than we could have one of each class! :( Oh well.

Some other problems with co-op and story is that each gamer wants to move at a different pace. Me? I like to talk to every single NPC in town, select every option, pick up every lore book, etc. Others just want to do the main quest and go-go-go. I guess that is something even Blizzard can't fix though. It's annoying that you can miss things though.

Like, for instance, the mini-boss breaking through the door at the royal crypts, that is something you can just completely miss if your friend gets there first. And then other things like the ghost-sword of King Leoric, and Leoric activating those 4 stone pillars, missing all the action with the Templar, damn! If you want to not risk missing anything all four of you have to just stick in a big group and try not to deviate from each other too much... :S