Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Classic Guides Before Synergies

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by darkpoet, Sep 17, 2013. | Replies: 6 | Views: 1106

1. darkpoet

darkpoet IncGamers Member

Hello everyone.

I was reading up on a program that you can do some time traveling. I started in 1.12 single player expansion, then bnet expansion, and I got into classic for a couple seasons. I am looking to try something new and might try to do some time travel. I am used to playing through the game, and also have a pretty good grasp of classic and skill / gear needs. I think it would be cool to play through the game on the 1.00 patch to see what it was originally like. I would also like to try 1.06 (lot's of people talk about that being a good patch). I have googled a bunch of different stuff, but I can't find any guides on skill allocation for characters before synergies were introduced. I also am not savvy on what was good in different patches. I do know that the necro lifetap / blood golem works. I know that some mid patch (i think 1.06) had a really good nova skill. I need some more info so I know what I am getting myself into before I go running around and get stuck in act 1 hell and can't kill anything (like the first time I played the game). Does anyone have links to old archive guides or want to reminisce on old builds that were your favorites and what patches were the most fun to play? I would appreciate all the help I can get. I will be doing this single player ofc and untwinked unless I can get old patches to work over a tcp game and can set up a mule. Post here or please pm me. Thanks.
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  2. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

1.00 mainly offers bugs and missing items compared to 1.06 but also the ability to re-run cow level in spite of killing the cow king who is the best source of items other than gambling IIRC.

You might be able to find some guides/information by checking out archived versions of the lurkerlounge.
    No synergies = most chars have room for customization/hybrid builds.

Amazon: Lightning Fury + Pierce + Your preferred flavor for dealing with single-targets
    Barbarian: Whirlwind is king, check the patchlog
    Necromancer: Iron Maiden+Blood Golem = healing thorns, CE for AoE. Lower Resistances lowers magic resistance and thus works with bone spells. (Unless it was bugged back then?)
    Paladin: Hammerdin, Conversion+Thorns
    Sorceress: Static/Warmth/Teleport, Frozen Orb + Nova or your favorite fire skill. There are no cast delays but spells consume too much mana, high level static field is your primary attack.

There's a modified D2Gfx.dll for v1.06 or v1.06b out there that lets you multi-instance easily for muling/adding players. I think it's still available at the < 0°C Keep

Edit - Forgot to mention; Blessed Hammer deals physical damage and thus works with fanaticism and stoneskin bosses can be problematic
    There are no native monster immunities on hell. (I think? It's been a while.) Certainly no physical immunes
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  3. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

All of the old guides from v1.09 are gone from the Strategy Compendium, but are generally available via the Wayback Machine. Check the SPF FAQ build guide thread (stickied) and you should be able to get there.
  4. Barl

Barl IncGamers Member

Here is the old Lurker Lounge forum. The archive starts before the release of D2, and ends in April 2001:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/31101/

There are strategy guides, but you'll have to look through a lot, I don't think there is a search function.
  5. darkpoet

Thanks for the responses. Any other tried and true builds?
  6. Barl

Barl IncGamers Member

I've been playing 1.03 for awhile now, and I've got three characters:

Baroness sorceress: static field, frozen orb, warmth. A lot of points spent in energy for more mana, mana potions aren't available from vendors, and frozen orb costs quite a bit. 53 mana per cast I believe. Have a staff for casting mana shield. lvl 55. pretty slow and laborious until you get frozen orb.

Baron barb: sword barb, because lances don't drop until 1.04. Whirlwind, sword mastery, some battle orders, shout, stone skin. imbued an executioner's sword, and have a 3 socket tower shield with 3 p. diamonds. lvl 53. Probably the easiest and most fun, except in CS where the iron maiden is a pain.

Sir frost zealot: holy freeze, zeal (every point adds another swing, up to 20 swings at lvl 20. So i'm keeping it at lvl 6), concentration, holy shield. Gambled an iceblink as soon as I could. Still, this is the most challenging character so far. lvl 26, act 2 nm. Keep holy freeze on to keep enemies cold and slow, then switch back to concentration to attack until they thaw out. Then back to holy freeze. Works okay, not great (need a better sword). Got this build from lurker lounge archive.

Also worth noting is that if you play single player, you will likely be in hell act 4 at somewhere around level 40-50. So when thinking of builds and skill distribution, you will have less to go around.

A 3 socket tower shield with 3 p. diamonds is my favorite shield. It helps take the burden of resistances off of your other items.

Also there is a great guide for 1.06b (final patch before expansion release) here: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?745320-A-Guide-to-Classic-(1-06b)

And here is an archive of the Chaos Sanctuary, the official online strategy guide before they renamed it to Arreat Summit when the expansion came out. The main page archive is from August 15, 2000 (I believe this was at the time of the 1.03 patch), but some pages were archived at different dates: http://web.archive.org/web/20000815065211/http://www.battle.net/diablo2/
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  7. darkpoet

Thanks. This helps a lot.