Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Class favoritism vs. market influence

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Market & Economy Discussion Forum' started by endarion, Mar 20, 2012. | Replies: 5 | Views: 1322

1. endarion

endarion IncGamers Member

Class favoritism vs. market influence

With the upcoming launch of D3, people seem to be pretty set on which character class they want to start their adventures on. And that class seems to be a bit disproportionately balanced, especially in favor of the Wizard.

Without runes, and now that class-specific modifiers are in place, it will be more clear how the desirability of different classes are reflected in the market. I'm wondering whether anyone else is concerned that this may be noticeable.

Given how many people will play, and how many alternate characters (and genuine distribution) we will see, perhaps it won't come down to more than a difference of $0.5 - $1.5 (or equivalent gold) more per item for proportionally powered gear across classes. Then again, with unique items, we could easily see a the price of "best" gear for a favored class gain a hefty premium.

My guess is that the biggest differences would only be visible by end-game, and by that point, Blizzard would have continuously patched the classes to curb excessive demand for any particular one. However, it will be interesting to see how it plays out at the start.

I don't think this is really a long-term "problem", especially as the difference in number of people playing a particular class becomes an insignificant ratio. However, it will be interesting to see. I was certain I'd like to start with a Wizard, but now I'm wondering if I'll have more fun finding great deals as another class, and then come back once the market appears stable.

Anyone notice this in the beta at all?
  2. Catastrophe

Catastrophe IncGamers Member

Re: Class favoritism vs. market influence

Definitely, yes. I remember when D2 launched that the barb was the most popular class and rare Executioner Swords were the single most sought after items. And once LoD hit, it was all about the Grandfather and the Windforce. And the Windforce wasn't even the nuts in 1.09, but Amazons were popular, and so the Windforce was one of the most valuable new items.

And I agree that the Wizard is very much winning the popularity race. I'm still going to roll a Wizard first, but I'll probably start a DH just because I figure my weapons will be 'free'. The Wizard has a lot going for her. People liked the Sorceress in D2, people remember farming for items with teleport and assume that teleport is still required, and Electrolyze and Disintegrate ("lazer beams") look like cool skills. I'm not counting out the barb again, either. I think those two classes will rule at least until everyone gets them up to 60.
  3. droppin

droppin IncGamers Member

Only reason I know the Sorc was so popular is becuase she was easy. Teleport helped, but everyone could get Enigma at some point. Sorc needed no gear to be highly effective until nightmare. This will pass on into D3, until people realize you will need all around effectiveness and the other classes will start to reveal themselves. (like late game necros) Specially with the closer combat in D3. In D2 you could bomb enemies from screens away, D3 looks like you'll be alot closer quicker.
  4. Catastrophe

Catastrophe IncGamers Member

We're talking release day here, and Paladins with teleport didn't happen until "recently". ("Recently" is like Blizzard's own "soon".)

Yeah, pretty much, people liked the sorc because she was easy. The glass canon archetype is easy to build and people like it.
  5. jwfcp

jwfcp IncGamers Member

the way items effect damage will torpedo the old way of thinking though, fail gear will still be fail damage no matter the class. no static field either (HUGE). maybe necro's will get an edge with pets as meat shields, bliz is still waffling with exactly how the necro is going to come out, so your dogs could be living from cool down to cooldown adding dps and generally making things manageable, or both you and the dogs could be so frail late game that you keep the spell off of cool down, to be used only as a dire, "oh ****" button to give you an extra few seconds breathing room if things get to hot for you as you kite everything around like everyone else. (then youll have major epeen envy for having picked the only class without a proper teleport)
  6. AngleWyrm

AngleWyrm IncGamers Member

My guess is the nerfing shall commence almost immediately, followed by anguished screams. The process will continue until the number of active toons in each class is roughly equal.