Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Cheap Muffler Repair?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by liquidicem, May 20, 2004. | Replies: 4 | Views: 1604

1. liquidicem

liquidicem IncGamers Member

Cheap Muffler Repair?

So I was driving to go get some food today on my lunch break and I noticed that my car seemed a little louder than usual. They all of the sudden the noise changed from a low rumble to a thunderous roar.
    So now I need a new muffler I'm guessing. Hopefully its not any closer to the engine than that. But anyways, does anyone know cheap place to get a new muffler? I'm not looking for quility here, just price. I plan to get rid of this car as soon as I graduate in December. Any suggestions?
  2. Dutchman

Dutchman IncGamers Member

If you're looking for cheap why not forgoe a new muffler completely and slap a mufler bandage on it? All you need to do is locate the hole, soak the thing in water and wrap it around and around the muffler. Seals the hole, stops the noise.

Granted it's a stop-gap but it might get you through to december; or at least long enough that you don't care about a bit of noise for the end of the period.

Dutch
  3. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

Hmmm, good advice Dutch - I hadn't thought of that.

The other advice, would be for you to go to a junkyard to get one. They often have those parts, and usually cheap. Of course, you'd have to figure out how to install it yourself - so if you're not mechanically inclined, that could be a problem - but it's at least another route to consider.
  4. Cain

Cain IncGamers Member

Mufflers are for the weak. Cut it off and put a straight pipe in. It'll be loud, but then you can lower your car, tint the windows, get a 32" spoiler and some stickers to add an extra 5 hp each.

On a more serious note see if it's your muffler or the exhaust pipe. If the holes are in the exhaust pipe a quick fix is to cut to top and bottom off a pepsi can and make a slit down the can to open it up. Wrap the can over the hole in the pipe then apply some muffler cement, a bit of muffler tape and a couple clamps and you're on your way. Cheap and requires no car how-to but doesn't last that long. It'll get you to the next pay day anyway.
  5. liquidicem

liquidicem IncGamers Member

Good news with this situation. After looking at it a little closer, I noticed that the pipe coming out of the catalytic converter just fell out and was completely undamaged. Thankfully I found a decent repair shop that just welded them back together for me. Unfortunately while they were under there they pointed out that I need a tie rod replaced (dough!!). Oh well, cars never cease to need repairs.