Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Changing few game sounds

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Denton, Mar 5, 2007. | Replies: 36 | Views: 2209

1. Denton

Denton IncGamers Member

Changing few game sounds

More than a year ago I couldn't help but to associate continuous teleporting's sound to the badger song, and I was cracking to the idea.

Now, with more courage and knowledge, I did a test and replaced the Teleport sound with the word "badger" from that song, and it worked flawlessly (like I assumed, as I knew what I was doing).

In short, it works identically to RWM and RRM; the .wav (standard Waveform Audio) file from the data\... folder is loaded instead of the .wav file from the .MPQ file. No game files need to be edited. The sample needs to be in a specific format, which I won't give away as it could be seen as instructing people to do modifications, maybe, well unlikely so, I'm just being careful.

I realize that this could be abused by changing rune dropping sound to something that can't be missed, like me yelling "OMG A RUNE HAS DROPPED", but that's something I won't do, because I wouldn't want to get any actual benefit from it. Changing the sounds of skills like Teleport, Blessed Hammer and Charge would not add any benefit to the player, but would add amusement.

A totally harmless, simple, unbeneficial and amusing "modification". I do not think it would even need it's own modification tag, as there is no benefit at all from this mod. I'd love to get to planning what sounds to use with Teleport, Charge and Blessed Hammer. "Hork" too. : P

NOTE: I am bringing this to the public because I do occasionally MP and trade, and want to know people's opinion before starting using the edited sound(s).

If you have read and understood all, or at least most of the text above, and voted or are going to vote for number 4., please specify your reasoning.

EDIT: It seems that after voting in the poll you will get forwarded to another thread named "V/T or T/V for general pub ownage?". A forum bug I assume.

2nd edit: @ Moderators: I can send the sound file along with some more "technical" information about it if either of you wish, although I assume you understand how it is done.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  2. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

I think such a change would need to be classified as another mod like RRM or RWM simply because it's doing what RRM is doing, not altering anything in the gameplay but only visual, or in this case audio, files.

It's an interesting idea and you're right could be abused badly. However I'd be highly amused to have my paladin walk into the Blood Moor and instead of his normal boring phrase say something like "Let's get it on".

Regardless not a mod I'd actually use, but you could have a lot of fun with it.
  3. Denton

Denton IncGamers Member

True, both change something. But, changing the rune text's colour does add benefit to the game, making runes a lot easier to see. Changing the sounds of skills like Teleport do not add any benefit to the gaming, other than some amusement.

4. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

Hm.. if you're not changing the sounds that occur on a drop then I don't see any harm. I mean that if you actually change the squishy sound a runedrop makes to something like a scream of ''RUNELOL'' then it might help you out. Changing the sound of teleport doesn't benefit or change anything at all. I think you'll probably change it back before long anyway.
  5. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I don't see the point. Except to get rid of the annoying Hammers sound. Grief, that's grating.

Edit: I am really looking forward to the Vets having their tars back. Those replacement ones are just freaky.
  6. Denton

Denton IncGamers Member

Yes, to clarify: I do realize that changing sounds like the sound that runes make when they drop, can potentially add benefit, and I would not even consider doing that. I am only planning to change sounds that would not change game's balance at all, like Teleport and Charge, and I'm not planning to use any sounds like "BEEP", but approximately as long and loud sounds as the originals are.

Additional clarification: If "enough" people vote choices 3 or 4, people that do MP and/or trade that is, I won't change the sounds, and no one else should either, as it would only separate the community further. On a personal note, I'd wish to see if other people share my view on this modification, that how insignificant it is, adding only amusement to the game, which shouldn't be a reason enough to classify it as a modification like RWM, RRM and CRM are.

7. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

I would like to edit the Barbarian's warcry noises. Having a Barbarian throw his arms out, throw the neck back, and let out an all-conquering belch would be awesome.

Or, if you use your imagination, you could probably think of a suitable noise for the necro's poison nova...
  8. SimontheBulletFreak

SimontheBulletFreak IncGamers Member

Change teleport to a farting sound and I would definitely get on board :grin:
  9. Denton

Denton IncGamers Member

That's one good option. I could change it every now and then to keep Baaling or whatever that includes excessive use of teleport a bit more fun. It'd be hilarious while PvP'ing, although initially it could make me lose concentration.

Another example is editing the sound's length so that it's seamlessly played while tele'ing at let's say 8 frames, which is exactly every 320 milliseconds, I could put in some music that would loop always when teleport would be used continuously. : p

10. nex

nex IncGamers Member

Agreed... but you will never get majority of people to agree with that...

11. Denton

Denton IncGamers Member

Important notification: I should have made the poll public.

That is because this basically only would matter to those who MP, trade or give away items. Everyone else is free to express their opinion, of course. But for example, I just wouldn't want to end up not using changed teleport sound just because 10 people that never interact via the aforementioned methods with other players voted choices 3 or 4.
  12. Friiser

Friiser IncGamers Member

I just hope I never hear that badger song again.
  13. wakiki

wakiki IncGamers Member

Sounds hilarious to me! I can only imagine how trippy it could be. I would add in Baal's death sequence every time you killed a Quill Rat. =]

I'm not bothered by it.
  14. DarkChaos

DarkChaos IncGamers Member

These mod discussions really get tricky. This could be a dangerous mod if you use a sound that has someone's voice yelling "AN ITEM HAS DROPPED... PRESS ALT TO PICK IT UP SO YOU DON'T MISS IT AND LEAVE IT ON THE GROUND!!" but otherwise... pretty silly and useless.

Agree on the hammer sounds... damn are those annoying. Ditto for wind druids... (good thing I play with the sound off)
  15. Denton

Denton IncGamers Member

Exactly. Like I pointed out before, I wouldn't consider replacing any sounds that any items make when they drop.

The primary sound I would want to edit is Teleport's sound. Others that I'm considering are: Charge, Blessed Hammer and some/all Warcries(hork).

16. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Denton, in my opinion you can't have that sort of distinction.

RRM does nothing except alter what is shown on the user's screen but that has to have its own tag. This does nothing but change what you hear, but would need its own tag.

You say you would only change certain sounds. Well, RRM only changes runes not other items. It still has to be tagged.

EDIT: Dent, you only want to change certain sounds. But if that isn't tagged then what is stopping someone else changing "Whooo hoooo RUUUUNE BABY!!!!one!!!" without saying anything? And that is no different to RRM.

Sorry mate, thumbs down from me. (I'll be amazed if that surprises you, though. :rolleyes: )

Edit: Just to be clear, as everyone seems to miss this point, I don't give a stuff what you do solo; I am talking about trade/MP.
  17. Delreich

Delreich IncGamers Member

I don't trade or mp, so I haven't actually voted, but imho changing the sound of player skills for solo play at least shouldn't matter.
    Changing it for enemy skills might be a bit different, though most of the important stuff have pretty distinctive sounds already.

For mp/pvp... I don't do that, so I have no real idea, but I imagine it may have some impact there.
  18. Denton

Denton IncGamers Member

Thyiad: Yep I'm not much surprised. But RRM gives clear and indisputable advantage over having no no colour modification. Editing the sound of teleport to "badger" doesn't give any kind of advantage over anything, except a bit added "fun", which can't be measured from a objective standpoint. It should be obvious that no one that trades/mp's/give-away's should change their runes'/items' dropping sounds to anything else. But...

Having said that, it would probably require additional rules that drop sounds can't be edited, while Teleport can be, even though the reasons should be obvious, but for some that would possibly not be the case, hence the necessity of additional rules, which would not be practical. Too much of a ruckus over one edited sound; not worth it.

Also, seeing that there are some votes in choices 3 and 4, even though I don't know who some of them are, it means that some would not like to trade with me, if I used a edited Teleport sound for example.

So, the logical decision is not to use any edited sounds, as it would require additional rules at the very least and... well, in short, it's just not worth the trouble. I'm sorry everyone for wasting your time with this, I should have known that not everyone will agree with me on this.
  19. wakiki

wakiki IncGamers Member

Whether you are required to add a tag or not, you should at least be upfront about it in trades and MP.

I really have difficulty imagining somebody not trading with another person because they replaced teleport with the badger sound, but eh...you never know.
  20. NecromanSassin

NecromanSassin IncGamers Member

Does anybody here (except Denton and maybe a few others) know how to actually change the sounds manually? If it is a downloadable mod (RWM, RRM etc) then I can see the contraversy (not that I think it would be downloadable). But if people change the sounds themselves, shouldn't they have the freedom to do so at their own will?

Compare it to making a Runeword. Earning the runes is like figuring out how to change the sounds. If he earned the runes (figured out how to change the sounds) then shouldn't he be able to do what he wants with them (the sounds)?

Oh, and about the rune drop sounds. Isn't the weird squishy sound noticable enough? I think it is the funniest sound in Diablo!

That being said, I bet people can see why I voted for 1.