Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Casters; you got max black, but what about half block? ifr

Discussion in 'PvP' started by Zag, Apr 17, 2012. | Replies: 6 | Views: 6081

1. Zag

Zag IncGamers Member

Casters; you got max black, but what about half block?

The build I'm currently using is a wind druid and I manage to hit 5k life with max block, and I feel that's pretty good. I'm mainly going along with max block until I get some more experience under my belt and am able to get by going full vita. I had such a pull back and forth between vita and mb that I couldn't help but ask myself the question; why not half block?

I figure 50% block is still pretty good, I'm just wondering how practical it is. It would definitely save a lot of points into dex. Would the gain in life be able to compensate for blocking 2/4 of all attacks than 3/4? I'm considering trying it out within the next week and seeing how it goes. Just curious what you guys think. Would it be better for certain casters and not others? Maybe ditch the idea entirely because it just makes things completely impractical?
  2. ambid

ambid IncGamers Member

Re: Casters; you got max black, but what about half block?

In the case of wind druids, I would, from the start, skip max block complitely. Go with 163 fcr vita build, once you have mastered it, but still feel like you need max block something, get a max block setup.

In my opinion, using 99 fcr max block build cripples down wind druids massively, they can be okay in some specific 1 vs. 1 match ups, but not as a all around setup.
  3. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

Keep in mind that 50% ctb is only half as effective as 75% ctb; it doubles your effective life vs blockable attacks instead of quadrupling it. It also requires something like 2/3 to 3/4 as much dexterity as a 75% ctb setup, so that without a lot of +dex gear you're not even saving much life.

As to windies, I generally agree with ambid.
  4. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Site Pal

i personally think it's the other way around. get max block when you first start out on a new character then when you can handle yourself better, not getting hit, switch to vita build.
  5. ambid

ambid IncGamers Member

Point taken, but I personally like to learn it the "right"(and probably the harder) way right from the start.

6. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

Maybe when you're just starting out with dueling overall. Once you've got a little experience, I'm not so sure of that.

I know players who've gotten used to max block as a crutch and because of that never learned how to play their builds properly, consequently losing duels they should as max block builds win.

7. ynotastonysh

ynotastonysh IncGamers Member

Go max block or full vita. 50% isn't going to do anything when you get ww'd through.