Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Capture the flag - D2 style! (sign ups and rule discussion)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by farting bob, Apr 24, 2005. | Replies: 96 | Views: 4180

1. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Capture the flag - D2 style! (sign ups and rule discussion)

So, ive been thinking. My zod tourney coming to an end, its time for another fun adventure. This time the game is (as far as i know anyway) unique, at least hasent been around for a while.
    The game: Capture the flag.:thumbsup:
    The location: act 1 nm
    The objective: capture the enemy's object and get back home.

In detail:

• 2 teams, each with 4 people on.
    • 1 team is based in tristram, the other in the barracks.
    • Each team has to guard an object. This will be Wirt's leg and the malus. Both items begin in there original places (body of wirt and malus holder)
    • The entire area which the object is in must be cleared first.
    • Each team will be given 5 minutes to discuss strategies and get into place.
    • To begin with, all team members must be within 1 screen of there item. Once the host checks everyone is ready, and says go, you may then move anywhere in the D2 world. no restrictions where you can go.
    • The objective is to get into the other teams base and steal there object and take it back to your own base, without dieing.
    • Each game will last a maximum of 10 minutes. If no-one wins in 10 minutes, the game is a draw.
    • After the first game, the host will start a a new game (so the items are back where they should be and the maps randomised again) and the teams switch bases, so that both teams have an equal chance. the same rules apply for this game as they did for the first game.
    • After both games, the points are added up and the winning team advances to the next round. the losing team will be taunted.
    • If after 2 games the score is tied then there will be a new game setup and the rules are listed below in the tie break section.
    • If 1 member of a team drops out mid game due to bad connection, the game is stopped, all people must remain where they are until the person joins again and gets back to there base. Once they have confirmed they are back, the game resumes. However, if an opponant is in the enemy's base, the game will not be paused so no sly tactics used if your about to lose.
    • Once you die, you must return to town and wait for the game to end.
    • If you died whilst in posession of the enemies object, you must tell all people that you died in posession of the item, and then game is then paused. You must then go collect your body, and hand the item back to its base, where it will be dropped next to its holder on the ground. you will then go back to town and when you do, the game begins again.
    • Any character is allowed, no limits on level or build, but you must have at least done act 1 nm first.
    • Teams will be randomly assigned after sign ups.
    --------------------------------------

Banned stuff:
    (this section is open to discussion. final rules posted before tournament starts)
    The following skills cannot be used during the game:

• Teleport
    • Charge
    • Leap/leap attack
    • Dragon flight
    • Bone prison (only applies when in either base. may be used in all other areas of the game)
    • Bone wall (same as bone prison)
    The following items cannot be used/equipped during the game:

• ALL potions. that includes health, mana, rejuv, stamina, antidote, thawing and throwing potions.
    • Any charms. All charms must either be muled off first or kept in your in-game stash.
    • Any item that offers CTC for a banned skill.
    • town portal scrolls. Waypoints CANNOT be used at any time during the game either, unless you drop out due to connection problems and need to get back to base. In this case you taker the WP nearest to your base and go directly there.

Scoring:
    For a succesful capturing of the flag, the team will score 5 points, plus an additional:

• +3 points if the game was won within 2 minutes.
    • +1 point if no team member is killed. This bonus does not apply to the losing team.
    • If the game is drawn, each team will recieve 2 points and no bonus point for a complete team.

Tie break situation:

If after both games the score is tied, the follwoing rules come into effect:

• A new game is created. The teams will both begin in the same place as they did in the first game, except the team who are with the malus will start within 1 screen of the outer cloister WP instead (because it is the nearest open area)
    • The objective is to kill all the enemies team.
    • all players must remain in the surface areas of act 1. this includes blood moor, stony field, cold plains, dark woods, tristram, black marsh, tamoe highlands and the 2 clositers. All other areas are banned. EDIT: all areas before dark woods in this tie break situation are out of bounds since you either need to go underground or through a WP to get to them, both of which is a no no.
    • No use of WP's, TP's or any banned skills/items in the normal CTF game.
    • Once someone dies, they must return to town. Once there is only 1 person left, everyone goes and collects there bodies, and the ears can be used as proof of a killing.
    • The winning team is the one who collects all 4 of the opposing teams ears.
    • After 5 minutes, all remaining players will be informed that they must go to the blood moor, and continue fighting. This is so we dont have 1 person camped out for 20 minutes while another runs madly trying to find them. In this situation, they will have to use a WP to the cold plains, and then go stright to the blood moor.

Dates:
    Because of the PvP tourney going on and many otehr tourney's, im scheduling in this one for a months time, starting 24th may. If to many people who are supposed to play on any given date cannot for any reason, the game may be postponed. Times of matches and which team plays when will be decided when we know who's playing.

Signups!
    To sign up, i need some info:
    forum Name:
    MSN/email address (if non, stuff can be done through PM):
    Can host?:
    Green eggs or ham?

• You do not need to state what character you wish to use.

Any suggestions/comments welcome, post them in here, along with your sign ups. Ideally we need at least 16 people (4 teams of 4). Provisonally the first 16 people to sign up will be guareenteed a place, then anyone else who signs up gets put on a second list. I will then take the first people fromt he second list and make more teams, until an even number is reached leaving as few people out as possible. basically, sign up even if theres already enough people and unless you leave it really late, i should fit you in.
    All rules may be questioned, or disagreed with, or added to. just post and i'll give it a thought. I'm bound to have missed something obvious out.
  2. Illiana

Illiana IncGamers Member

This sounds like great fun, but at the moment I don't have any 1.10 softcore characters, so I suppose that would be a problem. But I do believe people don't mind the muling of hardcore items to softcore characters (right?), so I suppose I could start a sc char just for this. Considering this won't start until late May I should have plenty of time to get to a respectable level. Second of all, I have never played multiplayer before, am I right in assuming the lag would be comparable to normal battle.net play? (Logically, I also have no idea if I could host. :D )

Will Burst of speed be allowed? Or will there be a cap on the amount of faster run/walk a character can have? Are absorb items allowed?
  3. goltar25

goltar25 IncGamers Member

This sounds like fun, I may get in on this. However, one thing in the rules that will cause a distinct problem.

If one team is in Tristram, and the other is in Outer Cloister, without using a town portal or waypoint, you would have to go through the Underground Passage to get between the two.

EDIT: Another issue that water_moon mentioned. Should there be some kind of level limitation, or maybe have different competitions for different level ranges? Without something like this, you could have some characters who have just cleared Act 1 NM against patriarch/matriarch characters. This would be rather one sided in my opinion.
  4. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Ahh, very true. then i will allow the underground passage in the tie break as well. I suppose in that case, you can ignore the edit part. All above ground areas and the underground tunnel are free to use in the tiebreak.
    @illiana: It depends on where you are and where the host is mainly. So if your host is near you then the lag shouldnt be very bad for you. If their in siberia, its a problem. But lag rarely effects PvP and stuff like this as much as PvM. You can always try out a few MP games first if you want to get more aquainted with your ping.
  5. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

This actually is a really good idea :)

I might come out of hiding and participate.. but then I'd need to build a character for this. May I suggest teams of three though? Lag might not be a problem for everyone, but some people get spikes if more then 6 people are actually in the game (let alone all together fighting in one screen).
    I'd also like to point out that some skills are really nice if you want to defend. I won't list them, but alot of PvP (and normal PvM) characters will actually look worse in this kind of team play. Anyway, others will shine bright so that might compensate.
    Also, your time schedule is quite thin, but that might just make it fun :p 2 minutes to run back and forth between tristram and barracks while others are bugging you hehe..
    I actually know what kind of build I'll make.. it will be alot of MP'ing to get him patted.. but I'll try :D
  6. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

Interesting idea...

So, will mercs be allowed? (I'm trying to think of possible builds...)

-Cat
  7. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

OK, I don't think I'd play this... mostly because I have no SC chars, and a really bad connection. But I would suggest that the distance you're planning is too long to be fun. Capture the flag needs enough distance so that you don't always see the opposite team, but enough proximity to still be fast-paced. You'll spend half the 10 minutes just getting from one base to the other, let alone actually accomplishing anything.

I'd recommend picking some areas that are closer together. Clear the monsters first, then start the game. After all, there's no reason the items in question can't be found, and brought to the bases before the start of the game.

Here are a couple location ideas:

1. Lower Kurast and Upper Kurast (with Kurast Bazaar in between as a No Man's Land). Each team would be assigned a temple as a base.

2. Maggot Lair 3 and Viper Temple 2.

3. Right outside Harragoth and right below Frigid Highlands WP (for a real speedy game).

4. Pits level 2 and Hole level 2.

etc.

Have fun! This sounds terrific.
  8. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Do you have to create new char for this? Sounds like a mass pvp type. Charms should not be banned though.
  9. Boddah_khan

Boddah_khan IncGamers Member

This is a very creative idea, and sounds like it could be fun. But I agree with Skunkbelly that the distance currently is too large. I know you chose them due to the items at each location, but if the character has already done the malus quest, won't they be unable to pick it up again? Perhaps you could use two wirts legs, one from the difficulty they are in, and the other from a different difficulty, which would show up red so you could differentiate between the two 'flags'. Other then that, sounds fun. Cheers!
  10. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

Or even simpler just socket a hatchet with a perfect sapphire and one with a perfect ruby and voila you got your flags. Someone would just need to be responsible for bringing the two into each game.
  11. chicagofan51

chicagofan51 IncGamers Member

This sounds like a lot of fun, though I've virtually no experience PvP or MP.

Chicagofan51
    jason051@yahoo.com (don't have MS messanger, but can get it)
    I can host (currently live in St. Louis, USA; GMT-5)
    I have had green eggs and ham, glad I had them yes I am.

The distance between bases does seem to be too big, I like skunk belly's suggestion of Upper and Lower kurast a lot, especially with the sewers as a wild card area (though it might be a pain to clear out?).
  12. water_moon

water_moon IncGamers Member

Those are too easy to confuse (I've accedently soceketed more than a few times trying to move things in my stash or inventory.) The differnt level wirts would work better, less likly to confuse, either way I think they should be personalized (I'd make a googoo named "blue team" and kill normal Nili to do it) and kept in the host's stash.
    A smaller area might be better, sans tp & wp. Might I suggest the Kurast sewers? You still get a nice bunch of hidy holes and routes, but it's simialar enough in set up to say blue team under Bazzar, red under Upper K. (sorry Skunkbelly, no temples in LK, only bazar, UK, & Causeway)
  13. TopHatCat64

Err you would just need a one socket weapon already socketed, no chance of resocketing it then, besides who carries around gems and runes when they're pvping?

One axe is bright blue, the other is bright red, fairly easy to tell the difference between the two.

The wirt's legs look identical to each other when on the ground.
  14. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Ok, i supopose the game is too large currently.
    I'll think about the kurast temples one, could be fun indeed. I dont mind what items are used as flags, it wa just so that each item is different and cannot be mistaken (because you need to click something for it to drop)
    But ok, i like the idea of socketing something cheap and using those as flags.
  15. Boddah_khan

Boddah_khan IncGamers Member

When holding down tab, one wirt's leg will show up with red text (one from another difficulty) while the other will not. It would be much easier to tell apart then the socketed weapons.
  16. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

So are the rules final or can be changed? I would strongly suggest allow charms, since we are playing 1.10 expansion, and it's an integral part of char build.
  17. farting bob

farting bob Banned

The rules can change, but i dont like charms because some builds can take adavnatge of posion or cold charms and when im on the recieving end i deem it unfair when they 1 hit me doing little damage, but after posion i have 1 life left.:(
    I'll see what the mass population thinks, and go with that.
  18. TopHatCat64

Ah that I did not know, never brought wirt's into other difficulty levels. Perhaps a red wirts and a rare something, white doesn't stand out as much as red and it could be a problem if there's a lot of crap on the ground.
  19. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

I actually like the idea of no charms, this is a team based capture the flag game, not a PvP kill everyone game. If your character can't hit **** to get around, but can tank like crazy he is ~very~ usefull in this game, but normally not in PvP.
    People are too much in PvP right now, you have to start thinking about strategy and teamplay instead of relying alot on firepower ;)

About the different items.. why not a Perfect Ruby and a Perfect Saphire ? Red team and blue team. It's small, deportable, easy to spot, clearly different from eachother and has a good long enough name to see/pick up when holding alt. :)
  20. kabal

kabal IncGamers Member

Will there be rules against camping the flag? Or can we have one or two uber characters sitting right on the flag slaughtering anyone who tries to get close?