Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

can't enter game after changing file extension...

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by AllieB, Sep 13, 2013. | Replies: 16 | Views: 1584

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AllieB

AllieB IncGamers Member

From.org to d2.s. " Can't enter game bad character file." Restored charcter is in Atma. On the game screen the characters have
    same name with a number after them.
    AllieB

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  2. Dazliare

Dazliare IncGamers Member

I might be wholeheartedly wrong here, but is the .d2s file in your Save folder?

3. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

Did you change it to .d2.s or .d2s? Because it should be the latter.

4. AllieB

AllieB IncGamers Member

Yes it is. I am wondering, I restored 3 0r 4 backups and renamed them and they are all in the Save folder. Is that causing the problem?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  5. AllieB

AllieB IncGamers Member

.d2s. Sorry I just saw my typo. Any suggestions? AllieB

6. naranjadita

naranjadita IncGamers Member

Umm and did you change the file name? I mean, is the file name your_character_name.d2s?

7. AllieB

AllieB IncGamers Member

Yes my file name is name.d2s.

8. Fabian

Fabian IncGamers Member

This would probably be a lot easier to resolve if you told us what, exactly, it is you've done. Step by step, more details, etc.

9. EmperorMoo

EmperorMoo IncGamers Member

This rings an alarm bell. The restored .d2s files don't have the number in the filename (e.g. character-13-09-13.d2s) do they?

10. naranjadita

naranjadita IncGamers Member

Mmm aren't auto back ups by muling applications labelled with the backup date data?
    Can you give us this number you're seeing? :)

11. AllieB

AllieB IncGamers Member

Thanks for your help. Here's my story: I died in Hell. made two attempts to recover bodies which was a big mistake. next I did 3 or 4 character restores. In order to recover 3 bodies. Changed file ext. to .d2s. Next tried to enter D2. and got the "unable to enter game. Bad character Version". back to Save files and and changed file exe.'s back to .org. Keeping the character "Diana_" with a .d2s ext."Diana_" is waiting for me in Atma. Back to game and still could not enter with "Diana_". So I deleted the other characters. Still couldn't enter game. Then I decided I should restore deleted characters from recycle bin (just because I can always delete them again).
    I did notice in "Go Mule" Thee are a few "Diana" saved files" I don't want to go any further until I get expert help. AllieB

12. nulio

nulio IncGamers Member

Maybe next time don't cheat? Karma is a b*tch...

13. coju

coju IncGamers Member

hmm. If you tried changing your name via the safe file name, I don't think that will work.Not sure how to help, sorry. :(
    as empmoo mentioned, make sure it's not diana_-29234203402.d2s or w/e, ya'know?

14. Fabian

Fabian IncGamers Member

AllieB,

I can't really make much sense of your story, but here's some words anyway.

As nulio is saying, what you did is not ok on this forum, but what you do on your computer is mostly up to you as long as you don't MP/trade etc.

I'm assuming your character name is Diana? To restore a backup (.org file) of a character, you should delete/move whatever current Diana.d2s file is in your save folder and rename the appropriate backup file (which might be "Diana_9294.org" or whatever) into exactly "Diana.d2s", not "Diana_.d2s" or "Albert.d2s" or anything else. As long as you do exactly that and nothing else, there's no reason that the Diana.d2s file should become corrupted, and you should be able to open it in-game as well as with ATMA or GoMule.

Renaming characters (as in, changing "Diana.d2s" into "Diana_.d2s" or "Albert.d2s") is not doable except for when using the rename function in ATMA.

15. AllieB

AllieB IncGamers Member

Nulio, How did I cheat? What part is considered cheating? My character died. After 3 attempts to recover my dead character, I left 3 bodies. I recovered all 3 because I wanted to recover equipment also. Isn't it o.k. to restore back-up files for this reason? Help me out here.
    Thanks, AllieB

16. AllieB

AllieB IncGamers Member

As nulio is saying, what you did is not ok on this forum....
    Fabian,
    Is "Duping" what I did. I see the light. The game is calling it "Bad file version" is that it? Can I remove items from the 2 other backup files as long as I don't duplicate anything. Then delete all but my one character. How do I find the rename function in Atma? Thanks, I will do
    as you say. AllieB

17. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

AllieB, we don't accept restoring backups to get a second chance at something; they're there in case of hard drive failure really.

What you do on your own machine is fine, but if you're planning or MP or trading here, then we consider restoring the backups in your situation is like re-rolling a runeword to get a better result.

Yes it's frustrating to die but I've seen people take an hour or more to retrieve their body using just a naked character and a merc. If you don't have the patience for that, then fine, but we really can't give you any more advice than what you've already received.

To restore the backup, you move the file into the save directory and rename it to <name>.d2s - that's it. You can do that in Windows, it doesn't need to be ATMA; I've done it when I lost a hard drive about three years ago. If that didn't work for you then I don't know what's wrong. Unless you got the name wrong. If you've had that character open in anything else other than ATMA or GoMule then that might be an issue.

If you want to return a previous version of that character or stripping it in ATMA is fine but not to MP or trade here.

PM me if you want to discuss this further.

@ all - I received one post report on this. And it wasn't from anyone who posted. So rather than being snide, how about hitting that triangle? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.