Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Cannabis a strangulating killer

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Felix, Jun 6, 2012. | Replies: 32 | Views: 2209

1. Felix

Felix IncGamers Member

To do some myth busting here, most people think of cannabis as pretty harmless. Research has shown that that is not the case at all. As reported by the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18283689

Smoking cannabis is infact 20 times more likely to give you lung cancer, than smoking cigarettes. Smoking a single joint, is the equivalent of smoking a 20 pack of cigarettes.

Reason for this being, that the cannabis smoker inhales deeply and keeps the smoke in his lung to gain as much from the high as he can. This way of smoking is very dangerous. He absorbs 4 times as much tar from the tobacco, and 5 times more carbon mono-oxide.

Problem here is, that the genetic and molecular security systems, cannot handle such an overload easily, and deal with it as if these poisons had been administered in smaller dosis over time. And so the risk of causing irreversible genetic damage multiplies further, to a factor 20.

Medicinal marihuana, given in pill form, does not convey the same health hazards. On the other hand, greedy smoking with instruments like bongs, waterpipes and you name it, may be even more dangerous. More high; more tobacco poisons to go along with it.
  2. Leopold Stotch

Leopold Stotch IncGamers Member

Maybe, but at least it's natural. Okay, it's supposed to be natural. You never know unless you grow it yourself so...

Say no to drugs, Kids! :thumbsup:
  3. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

natural? you're burning it and inhaling it. I suppose it's natural relative to all the crazy stuff kids are doing these days, but I doubt the FDA would let them put natural on the label. :)

I'll stick to my big three, caffiene, booze, & tobacco. When they make stuff illegal (rightly or wrongly) it's too much of a risk to bother, plus I tried it a couple times and did not like it. I should probably stop smoking the tobacco, but quitting that last little bit is hard. I can go for a day or two, but then something triggers it. plus I'm super cheap so i buy in cartons. it takes a long time to run out. eventually, I'll get to drinking, and then i smoke all night.

4. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Yes?

We make Hemp Rope from it.

It's Killed lot's of People, Like most tools we use in both peace and war.

Way more than are ever going to die from smoking it.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  5. Leopold Stotch

i meant natural because there is not arsenic, rat poison, other chems in weed. However, you can lace it with other stuff and that's why I said unless you grow it yourself, you don't really know.

Booze? GLADLY. Hand me that Long Island Tea please! here are my car keys. Call me a cab at the end of the night. :thumbsup:
  6. Leopold Stotch

and clothing, hair products, etc. :D

7. Ruefeo

Ruefeo IncGamers Member

First thing I need to say is this is one news article, based off of a single statement, made by a charity that is funded by a major marketing firm (IMP once parent to Whitewater Creative) about findings that may (or may not) have been made by researchers.They fail to mention names of researchers or universities implicated in the study and theres not so much as a single mention of a PUBLISHED ARTICLE in a PEER REVIEWED JOURNAL, the first two things you should look for when reading about a "scientific study". They don't talk about the methods used to conduct the study, they don't talk to any other researchers for opinions on the possibilty of replication, they don't tell you anything but census information. They don't even list a source, it's just "The BLF says...". The worst thing of all though is that they don't talk about any statistical significance whatsoever. The strongest wording they could use was "scientific links" which doesn't tell you ****. Without a statistical evaluation of the study performed there is absolutely no way of knowing if what was found was because it's an accurate representation of the facts or if it happened by chance.

Now I don't smoke weed but I do think it is a less harmful drug than any of the legalized ones currently available. This includes any and all pharmaceuticals, so the "pill form" bull**** you put at the end sent me into a laughing riot. And I'm not arguing your point because you're against it. I'm arguing it because I think the BLF completely mucked up what the study truly showed, if there even was one and it's you, as the reader, who's responsible to question the statements made statements.

e:spelling, grammar, general stupidity I didn't catch.
  8. Stevinator

That's a pretty bold statement. Weed is safer than ANY legal drug? I get that there's a lack of sources in the article, but you're inhaling smoke into your lungs. of course that's going to cause cancer. and if you use a gravity bong or some other crazy contraption to shove more of it into you, well, yeah that's going to be worse.

But seriously, do you care? If you smoke weed would cancer really stop you? I know several pot smokers and they're mostly afraid of their girlfriends and wives more than the cancer.

BTW here's another link to the findings they're referencing.
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn3039-cannabis-smoking-more-harmful-than-tobacco.html
    which referenced this
    http://www.lunguk.org/campaigns/media-centre/lung-stats-and-facts/cannabis

Then i went to the "ii" section and found this:
    So there's your study. I'm not putting a lot of weight into the 20 times worse or whatever because I bet I take a lot more than 20 inhales occasionally smoking cigarettes (~pack/week) than my friends who take maybe a handful of hits a couple times a week. Compare a hard-core smoker and the cigarette smoker is going to be worse off.
  9. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Yeah, well, there's an awful lot that's left unsaid about those two ALLCAPS in the bargain. See, there's this thing called "groupthink"...

I personally believe this decision is going to be one made from bottom-line fiscal vs. societal concerns. No matter how you slice it, weed used to be culturally acceptable, it will cause more damage than proponents are willing to admit (both on the medical and social fronts), yet the cost of incarceration due to "zero tolerance" policies in the "war on drugs" is increasingly untenable.

10. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Did anyone but me catch what I meant in line 2 above? حشاشين-Hassassin.
    Always been around and will kill people, Being high and High risk go hand in hand and cause some deaths but this plant has been around and will be around.

Societal Disapproval is fine, but it's hard to muster after looking at other legal and non-legal drugs and life effects around me.
    Taxes or Outlawing it just makes Black Markets and Criminals more powerful.

I like the prices in the underground market that's been around all my life better than the registration and legal sales with Extra taxes ideas though.

But I think it's a community issue. The one I lived in the cops ignore it unless you piss them off mostly.

But I'm not Black in NYC.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  11. Helpoing

Helpoing IncGamers Member

War on Drugs fails over and over again. As of now FDA or EMA can't ban everything, because new substances continue to constantly appear. With alcohol being unattainable until 18-21 and with weed being illegal, youth switches to JWH, GBL, mephedrone, etc. I find it really disturbing. I better have my kid drink a few liters of beer & throw up in the bathroom (and in the morning we can talk about it), rather than take some unknown spice mix, faint at a party and end up at the hospital (could be much worse).
  12. Maxpovver

Maxpovver IncGamers Member

I live in Holland and I only smoke cannabis at bachelor parties. You only live once!
  13. skullvomit

skullvomit IncGamers Member

Cook some butter and bake some cakes, strangulation fixed!
  14. Kintara

Kintara IncGamers Member

15. Stevinator

Honestly, while the few times I tried it i found it...unsettling... so I don't do it. I still think it should be legal, for recreational use. Certainly the penalty for driving on it should be the same as drinking, but if you have a DD, it doesn't seem to me to be any worse. Do they have a test for being high? i know they can test to see if you did it that month, but what about right then?

But then, I think driving drunk you should be judged not on BAC, but on how bad you're driving. If you're driving badly, that's reckless driving. I'm not sure why it's a separate penalty. I don't care if you're high, drunk or just texting and not paying attention, all of those activities are reckless, and should be treated similarly. I suppose they have to have the distinction though, otherwise the law wouldn't be applied fairly.
  16. hotdogtesting

hotdogtesting IncGamers Member

Problem with "it's natural" is that most cigarette leaf farms are heavily regulated over what pesticides they are allowed to use and what farming techniques are allowed.

Most of the bud that comes from my home province is whatever is the cheapest and most effective. So... yes. If the Biker Gangs have some old cans of DDT... off they go to use it.

17. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I know a lot of dangerous natural things, like snakes, diseases, poisonous plants, meteors etc. etc. so if something is "natural", it doesn't make me that much less wary.

For example, go into a forest and eat all mushrooms you find. You will either die or go on a horror trip, maybe one with no end.

Just deciding on something like an impression will lead to people being subject to the whims of certain types of policemen to an even greater extent.

It should be judged on both. For example, if you have 0.3 promille here in Germany, you are still allowed to drive, but if you have an accident, you will get a part of the fault, even if you obeyed all traffic rules. Also, a policeman is allowed to take away your keys (and maybe apply a fine, I'm not sure) if you have 0.3 promille and you make an insecure impression. No matter which impression you make, from 0.5 promille on you are screwed and you will lose your license for some time. Also, if you have an accident then, your insurance will demand the money back from you which it had to pay to pay for the damage. Finally, injure or kill somebody out of gross carelessness (like driving drunk) and you are on a good way into jail.

18. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

You tryin' to say something, Bob?

The sad truth is that stupid children are so accustomed to the "magic pill" concept that weed is bordering on archaic now. Last night's RedEye identified that teens are using drugs like Adderall to score better on entrance exams. I mentioned kids drinking hand sanitizer previously, and there's a great chance that TrayVon had done some sort of cough syrup cocktail ("Purple Lean"). Does it surprise that "huffing" is seen to kids as somehow less risky than weed?
    How many did Germany lose last year, kris? I remember it averages close to 4...

Your point is quite valid; "natural" is a lefty nostalgia buzzword and has very little legitimacy. It's natural for people to die of scurvy, but that doesn't mean we should think that's a good thing. A lot of the "marketing" I hear for weed attempts to evoke the granola-crusted 1960's themes as somehow wholesome and of the earth.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  19. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

That's because we only do foolish things which are outrageous enough to be worth doing.

20. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Somehow, eating wild mushrooms never struck me as either.

Now, drinking an entire bottle of Grassl Bergfeuer...