Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

[Spoiler] Can we talk about Magda?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by Fortuan, Sep 20, 2013. | Replies: 4 | Views: 1722

1. Fortuan

Fortuan IncGamers Member

Ok so I've seen and heard and somewhat rightfully so rage about Magda. But I think there's some dialog to be had on her as a character. Ok, so Magda is a servant of Belial I assume much in the way Cedea is to Azmodan. She is sent to retrieve the meteor in Tristram by Belial in his subtle take over of sanctuary. She takes her coven to retrieve and stop the plan from being exposed but the hero is F'in that up.

Well we know how it goes from there.

What I feel Blizzard messed up on is the presentation of Magda where as a character she was fine. I actually like Magdha when I think of her in a bigger picture. Right hand of Belial that albeat is week is a psuedo mob boss. She has no ability to fly but her two "Pets" or beautiful deadly butterflies hold her up. So she uses the coven to scour the land for the disturbance and then when they find it they try to figure it out but the hero stops that pretty quickly. She talks a little with the intruder to feel out what she's dealing with and wisps away. She's not a fighter she's essentially relying on the coven for protection. So when things go to **** she tries to force Cain's hand.

Yes the infamous death of Cain. Now the scene itself sucks b/c she kills him with "butterflies" to most but that's all she has is poisonus bugs to use. So much like a mob boss she attempts to force her wants and when cain doesn't comply poof he's dead. She survives Leah's outburst and flees with what she can. Basically cutting her losses and hightailing it back before she gets killed. She leaves behind a valuable asset a butcher and runs off.

Then we're chasing her down in act 2 where she's starting to get cornered. She's afraid, VERY AFRAID. She then attempts to rely on Belial for protection where he devises a trap for the hero or Magda he doesn't care which, (as heard in Missives to Magda #1). She fails but Belial cares little for fodder even though Mahda believes she's more than that.

What blizzard missed here is showing the fear that Magda has. She shows some in Alcanus when you tell her of Belials betrayal. But with those stoic face boxes in dialog it's hard to discern just how reliant she was on others when she sounds so darn confidant. Emotional context with those faces could have improved this 10 fold.
  2. divinedeathstalker

divinedeathstalker Banned

magdas terrible.
  3. WitchDoctor

WitchDoctor DiabloWiki.Net Ink Slinger

the problem with maghda is that she is presented in the worst way possible. she could have been a nasty boss that could have gotten some respect in the way ghom did back in old inferno or rakanoth kind of nasty to somewhat newer players, or at least had something that was worthy of a lord of hell, but between butterflies and cheap boss fight shield mechanics, i would take the ramblings of act 4 first.
  4. Fortuan

Fortuan IncGamers Member

Well I think that was the whole thing her strength wasn't in herself it was her allies and we totally just smashed through that. It's a shame that we got stuck with emotionless portraits.
  5. AnjaS

AnjaS IncGamers Member

The way I see it is that the PC gives the two pieces of sword to Cain so Maghda would try to get them and kill Cain(1). Then PC gets afraid that Maghda understands that she was used, so PC kills Maghda before she can spill the beans.

(1) The PC's plot to kill Cain was concived because the old man was such annoying conversionist. Everyone has had enough of the windy old man. Too many times Cain said "stay awhile and listen." Never again.

Anja