Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Can my Old Notebook Handle D3?

Discussion in 'Tech Support for Diablo 3, Battle.Net & Systems' started by fundrazer, May 1, 2012. | Replies: 7 | Views: 714

1. fundrazer

fundrazer IncGamers Member

Can my Old Notebook Handle D3?

Sorry for what is probably the millionth thread about this. I have small hopes that this machine can play D3 on very low settings, so here we go:

Core Duo @ 1.75ghz - Think this meets the 2ghz req, I believe with 2 cores the processor theoretically runs at about ~2.5ghz. Don't remember

1GB ram - Obviously I need to upgrade this to have any shot at playing. Would 2GB be alright or should I go to 3? Max it will recognize is ~3.5GB

NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS - It's a 256MB card, listed as supported for low performance by Blizzard.

Running Windows XP
  2. SaltDog

SaltDog IncGamers Member

Re: Can my Old Notebook Handle D3?

I'm not a computer guru by any means, but I think i'ts safe to say your notebook will not run very good at all even at low =/
  3. fundrazer

I don't know. I just browsed the supported video cards thread and notice your own laptop, the video card in my 6 year old notebook is more powerful than yours. :D

Edit: I guess the real question is, after upgrading the ram to 2 or 3GB, will my CPU bottleneck performance too much?
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
  4. Enlil

Enlil IncGamers Member

Hmmmm, no. Depends how well optimized the release client is. You might get 25-30fps on lowest but need 60+fps for smooth play.

Give it a go, never know till you try.
    Blizzard are good for making games that run on junk laptops all the way up to high end desktops.

5. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator; Clan Officer West

You need to upgrade your ram. The more the better. Tell us what model you have. Make and model. Then we can look it up to see how much ram your motherboard can use. That thing must run slow. 1 Gb ram is almost too low for XP running all by itself, let alone playing a game too.
  6. fundrazer

Yeah, I'm well aware that I need to upgrade my ram to play. I made a slight mistake though in my OP, the motherboard will only recognize 3.25GB of ram. If I decide to play I'll just upgrade it to 3GB.

It's a Dell E1705, also goes by Inspiron 9400. I eliminated most of the bloatware when I first got it, so slowdown hasn't been an issue. It's even better now, because I was forced to format a while back.

Edit: Oh, and thanks for the responses guys.
  7. Tilitoon

Tilitoon IncGamers Member

If you are going to upgrade the memory, I would suggest you get something like this : $54.99 Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Laptop Memory Model CT2KIT25664AC667

Your laptop supports up to 4GB of Dual Channel DDR2 667Mhz, so this would be pretty much the best performance your could get out of it. If you have Windows XP 32 bit, only 3.2GB will be used, but for the price I don't think it's a big deal, at least you have the ~5% performance increase by using dual channel instead of one stick of 1GB + one stick of 2GB. But of course if you really want to save a maximum you can buy only one 2GB stick if you wish for a total of 3GB.

Don't forget to flash your BIOS to the latest version before upgrading, as it may not recognize both modules.
  8. SaltDog

SaltDog IncGamers Member

Lol yeah mine isn't great either, but should run OK at medium if I tweak a few things.... hopefully