Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Can I succeed in this rip-off deal?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Hookipa, Feb 1, 2013. | Replies: 7 | Views: 916

1. Hookipa

Hookipa IncGamers Member

Hello guys,

Since I have restarted playing this game one month ago since I played 3-5 years ago I have come to the believe that many of todays players do not have the slightest clue about prices or care the slightest bit because they have the spoiled kid-syndrom.
    E.g. purchased via a website Hr's, not knowing what it takes to work for your wealth...
    I believe this because I have made quite a bit of trades the last weeks for pul/um/mal > which would not have been possible 5 years ago.

So I have concluded I dont care making a good deal on a bad item and I will try my luck with an item which should not be valuable a lot, but has stats which make it look nice. See link below.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?843593-(EuScL)-And-another-ammu

So my quest is to earn as much as possible with this item on an ignorant spoiled person.
    My goal is 1 hr minimum, but I will put it for sale on Bnet for 4-5 hr's.

Will I succeed? What do you think?

Regards Hookipa.
  2. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Yes, you can suceed.. :)

I sold 2 crafted amulets Ive crafted myself over the last month or so, and met a guy with TONS of highvalue items. Im talking about perf rolled rw's like Enigma/Infinity/Grief in perf bases. And uniques like 15% NW's, 20/20 annis, 20/20 torches and 41-45 life skillers..

I made some great deals, but he had the impression that all his items were valued twice their value. Since Im (no bragging intended) a very skilled trader, I got a decent price for about 7-8 items he had.

But in fear of his items being dupes/botted/bought online, I felt like my hard earned hrs were going to some "spoiled kid" as you mentioned..
    In the end he kept asking me if I could trade in gold. There is a particular forum (not mentioning which) that uses forum gold to trade items, gold that can be bought with real money. And most botters out there are stationed at that particular forums...

Anyhow.. Ive always felt that a game needs a goal, and the journey to this goal is supposed to be the "fun" thing with the game.
    Take that from d2 and I would have stopped playing it for a looong time ago!

On topic:
    I do such trades all the time Hookipa, I see great deals and sell the items for as much more as I can. Thats why several cdkeys is the best way to trade. You can have several tradegames up at the same time.

Peace and love
  3. Hookipa

Hookipa IncGamers Member

Thanks for your input Archone, I feel this should be possible as well, but so far no luck (i.e. I made 2 trade games up for 1 hour). In Dutch we say that the persistent one will succeed in the end, so I will just keep on trying.

I definitely agree that the journey to the goal is what gives me the pleasure of playing. As a matter of fact I often have sense of dissappointment when I reach my goal.
    Although I have to admit that making my enigma yesterday gave a lot of pleasure.

I used to play with more CD-keys as well (self-rushing hell forge, planting chars on hot Dclone servers etc.), but those days are behind me ( I actually gave all keys except one away to people on this forum).

I will definitely let you know if I make a deal for this seemingly nice item!

Cheers Hookipa.
  4. Hookipa

Hookipa IncGamers Member

After at least 8 hours of having sell games for this item, getting laughed at numerous times mostly, I finally managed to sell this item.
    Not for the hr's price I wanted, but still 4 ist. All in all I am not unhappy with it!
  5. Greizer

Greizer IncGamers Member

Remember that time is a resource too - the most valuable one since it cannot be bought. Think about what other trades you could've made in that time? Oftentimes it's best to amass a great amount of different items, then scour the gamelist for a game where someone desperately needs some trinket. This way you can get 2-3 or more times the 'market' value of the item. Even if only standard price, it's a sure deal almost always if the person ain't afk.

Some of the white knights on this forum amuse me with their notion that I'm ripping off people. Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it... And if someone sells me a godly ammu or whatever for peanuts, it's not on me that they didn't take the time to inform themselves about values. I've made many bad trades myself, and always learned from them.
  6. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Time is valueable idd, thats why I dont pick all items worth Pul-Um and concentrate on other items.

Peace
  7. Hookipa

Hookipa IncGamers Member

I share your thought on this as well Greizer. I pick up typically a diverse range of items which I know can give me a good profit. And often they sit for days on mule waiting for that right moment... I actually sold 2 rubies for ist last wek for example.
    And my rule of thumb is never ever overpay for an item. Only exception being when I dont know the price :).
  8. Black Lotus

Black Lotus IncGamers Member

The answer to this are dupes and bots. It is save to say that 1) all hrs on ladder are botted 2) all runewords in perfect bases are duped.

There are not many dupers around, at least the knowledge of duping is kept secret so perfect rw bases are actually worth something. And 15/15 3os AP is worth more than same AP with jah ith ber in it, if you know what I mean...

Bots, on the other hand, constitute the core of all d2 players (with Blizzard not giving a f!ck about them for many, many, many years) which are set to picking runes ist-zod. They never pick up rares because odds are low and everything except amu/rings takes too much space, thats why godly rares are worth 40+ hrs in real money currency. They have real money, they have botted runes, and the thing they dont have is manually selected godly rare amulet/tiara :).