Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Can anyone help my Wizard and I out?

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by ADest, Feb 5, 2013. | Replies: 15 | Views: 3509

1. ADest

ADest IncGamers Member

What I'm looking for is some advanced general gameplay advice, farming in general...
    I played a lot May-June, had a pretty good time going through Normal and Nightmare, By Hell things started getting blah, and I quit shortly after reaching Inferno. I started playing again when they put in MP, but I was doing Hell on MP10 because Inferno still irritated me too much. I got bored and decided to quit again.

So third time's the charm and I started playing again in January while sick. I'm running Archon now, and am able to 'do' Act 3 (Alkaizer, I usually die about 3 or 4 times on avg each run, and spend more time with archon down than up) Inferno on 0 MP. But it doesn't seem like I'm really getting anywhere with that, so I went all the way back to normal MP10 and started farming Signets. I got 3 to drop last week, but it's so boring and tedious that I'm one or two runs away from quiting a third time. I know Blizzard said they doubled the drop rate of uniques a while back, but it must have been from 0.01% to 0.02%...

I just honestly don't know what to do in this game anymore. I feel locked out of it because of the low drop rates, and the insane prices on the AH. (I paid 15 million for an Echoing Fury, I sold 2 of the 3 Signets I found last week for 15 million each) I can try farming gold on Alkaizer, but I only get about 150k in a two hour run. I can try farming Signets, but like I said, it's so boring and tedious I'd rather quit than spend another week farming one or two just so I can afford another 20 million gold item... I need better gear, but am at a loss for how to get it. It will never drop, and I can't come up with any decent way to farm the massive amounts of gold to buy it.
  2. korialstraz

korialstraz IncGamers Site Pal

Not sure if you'll find this useful or not, but my best advice is try and find a friend to farm with. Imo 2 is ideal for this, since it is much easier to coordinate, which speeds up runs by quite a lot. And of course because it is faster killing elites with 2 players rather than 4 (unless all of you outgear mp0 by quite a bit). Also If you have similar humor, you can move the focus away from farming, and over to fun discussions. Third, don't farm for items, but instead on increasing your paragon levels. Well not focus per se, as that should be on having a blast with whoever you play with! :D but have more than 1 goal. Don't make every alkaizer run about finding that legendary or set item. Appreciate the extra paragon levels, as well as the gold you pick up, and the occasional rare that you can sell for extra cash. Personally I pick up all gems and tomes as well, since suddenly you can sell off a bunch and earn several hundre thousand more gold. And don't buy items that cost 10-15 million or more, since you can easily find good upgrades worth much less. That way you don't end up going for ages without an upgrade, and thus don't feel as stuck.

At least you should be able to find good upgrades for around 1-2 million a piece, because if you can't, then there are no reasons for you to die 3-4 times per run.

Maybe post a link to your D3 profile, so we can get an idea of your items, and where you should focus on upgrading.
  3. JME

JME IncGamers Member

I agree with everything above but especially the last part. Find a friend, enjoy gaining paragon levels, and try not to just focus on the item grind. But, as stated, you really shouldn't being dying 3-4 times per run. I'm guessing you need to focus less on the big 15 million gold upgrades and more on the 500k-1.5 million upgrades. A link to your profile would really help us give you better advice. Your survivability and efficiency should be much better than what you are describing. I built my first Archon on about 10-11 million and experienced maybe 1 death in a 30 minute run. Also, don't neglect magic find, it really does make a noticeable difference.

In short,
    1. Breathe, have fun
    2. Level up (will also help MF, GF, life, and damage)
    3. Link your profile so we can make educated suggestions
    4. 6 good upgrades are better than 1 great upgrade
    5. Magic find shouldn't be overlooked but shouldn't be prioritized over survivability and efficiency
  4. NightCraweler

NightCraweler IncGamers Member

Don't underestimate weapon damage(not dps that is different and is still important) vs chd and ias. Archon and other high damage skills work better with high damage per hit because it results in more one hit kills and higher crits, not as high as chd of course. High aps can waste alot of dps when you using a one hit kill strat because after the first hit they are dead. Now chd may seem appealing for this strat because it makes one hits easier to get. This actually results in fewer because of inconsistent damage.This inconsistent damage is not good for the one hit strategy. High crit works better with high aps where dps is more important than damage per hit.

Don't underestimate items(or skills for that matter) with healing and resource generation. Remember more ap means more effective damage. Also, while LS works better with high damage per hit, loh works better with high aps. Healing globes(more so with pickup radius) and regen are good stats. While both are undervalued, people are waking up to regen. *note* I want to add health globes to my pick-up radius pants(also undervalued I think I paid 1-2 mil for em).

Different skills better in different circumstances. For example slow time effects those inside the bubble so it helps party members the same as it does you. Archon is terrible for party play because you have to share kills.

Defensive stats are often more important than people think they are, especially str and dex. Remember Str is an armor roll and dex is the only way to improve your dodge rating.
    *edit* Armor can be better than res because of our naturally high res and the way the two function together. However, do keep in mind res rolls are typically more potent because armor comes naturally on armor.
    That is all I can think of atm.

PS. I'm soon to be if not already para 80 and can effectively solo mp8 with out using frost nova or diamond skin. Also it helps when getting advice if you post a link to your profile, here is mine.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  5. korialstraz

Also don't underestimate having 24% run speed. Especially if you have the need to kite a lot, as it makes a HUGE difference. I used to play with 0% extra run speed for ages, and the jump to 12% was very noticable! 24% ofc was a step up as well, which made kiting around easy as heck, but if nothing else try and get 12%. You will notice a good difference, well except for against fast monsters, or even worse naturally fast monsters with the fast affix. =P
  6. NightCraweler

OMG How did I forget movement speed? I agree never go with out 24% ms unless you have no other choice, when I found my first luni's I gave up crit chance and never looked at another rare. A good alternative for movement speed on a budget is Tyreal's Might.
  7. korialstraz

I know right? Couldn't believe I forgot to mention MS.

However I wouldn't give up too much just to get 24%. If you can't reach that without sacrificing a lot of damage/defence, then I'd say 12% is good enough. Granted depending on build you can even manage with 0% but the build required to pull it off effectively is very kite/slow focused. I did well when I used blizzard/venom hydra back in the day with 0% move speed. Tried the same with an arcane damage centric kite build (using that passive which slows 30% when dealing arcane damage), but the slow isn't strong enough. The build also made teleport a MUST HAVE spell due to lack of move speed from items. Suffice to say, unless you're dirt poor, I'd say 12% move speed is the bare minimum. Besides farming with blizzard/venom hydra is slow in and of itself, as it doesn't deal any direct/upfront damage, but focuses on damage over time, which is not what you want when doing efficient farming.
  8. NightCraweler

True but how much to much is varies from one player to the next. Also ADest if you can take cold blooded or conflagration instead of glass cannon you should not only do you lose the -ehp but cold blooded does more damage and conflagration increases damage for party members.
    edit:forgot to type conflagration the 2nd time.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  9. ADest

ADest IncGamers Member

Hi guys thanks for the info. I run 12% movespeed boots and Tyrael's Might, so I have the 24% Move speed. It's a shame about the cap, though. I'd post my profile for my Wizard, but she's wearing her magic find gear now, and I haven't been able to log into the game since the day I posted because it updated from patch 1.06a to 1.06a something else, and now says my video card isn't supported. Then a browser launches instead of the game. UPDATE: It seems to have resolved itself. Here she is with her Inferno gear on: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/ADest-1529/hero/3505196

Anyway, my main problem with the act 3 runs is those large teleporting demons with the giant swords/axes. I keep getting ones with teleporter as an affix. They teleport in all around my character, and if I teleport out they just do it again and 2 or 3 shot me. It's so common that I removed tele for Hydra and use temporal. In 1.07 Temporal gets a HUGE boost, so maybe that will help me out a bit. If I'm not in Archon when I come across an elite pack of these axe wileding things I almost always die, and still die even with Archon up about 25% of the time.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  10. JME

JME IncGamers Member

First things first, your damage is low and your life steal isn't high enough on your weapon. Although it'll have a negative impact on your damage a bit, if you are having problems with survivability swap out force weapon for blood magic. Your other skills aren't really laid out that well either. You should switch out storm armor for energy armor. If you need more survivability then pick prismatic, if you want something with damage and defense then pick pinpoint barrier. Basically, your layout needs to be more like this http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UmXjSO!Ygf!ZcaaZZ (with the exception of maybe blood magic for you). If you have AP on crit (I didn't check), then use mistral breeze instead of forked lightning. Diamond skin will help your survivability outside of archon mode enormously. Remember, the goal is always to get back to archon as quickly as possible.

Second, I'd dump the echoing fury (which I know that you just bought recently). You can get a nicer weapon for less than what you paid for that one. I picked up a rare wand with 955 dps, a socket, 46 intelligence, and 2.8% life steal for only 35k gold a while back. While I realize that was a low-ball bid that I got a pretty good deal on (and that the intelligence is less), the point is you can get things for cheap if you hunt around. Also, the fear on the echoing fury may sound like a good idea if you are having survivability problems but the last thing you want is for demons to be running away from you when you need kills to keep up-time on your Archon. For reference, I'm still using the same crappy wand and doing 160k damage.

As for other gear suggestions, your shoulders are really weak. Pick up something with 140+ intelligence,140+ vitality,40+ resist all. If you look around you should be able to snag a pair for 500k-1M. You also have quite a bit of vitality but no % life to really take advantage of it. I actually have over 100 less vitality than you but 5k more life because of this.

However, you really need to focus on getting your damage up. Keep in mind that more damage = more life from your life steal. I can stand in 2 desecrator stacks and stay alive as long as I am firing a beam through one or more enemies at the time. In our case, more damage increases your survivability or to put it differently, the best defense is a good offense. As stated, if you paid 15M for that echoing fury and can get anything close to that back out, do so. Upgrade your shoulders as recommended above, grab a pair of zunimassa's boots, and a decent set of lacuni prowlers. Since that would actually put you over the cap on r/w speed, I'd trade out the tyrael's might for something more well-rounded (intelligence/vitality/sockets/resists). If you can afford a Zuni armor, do that. The only thing Tyrael's offers that other armors don't is the r/w speed and, like I said, you'd be better off picking that up on your bracers with the additional attack speed that comes on those as well.

As you know, quite a few of your gear pieces could use upgrading (including your belt, jewelry, and gloves) but I'd start there.

Although slightly dated, this thread is still very relevant:
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?839802-Endgame-Archon-Build
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  11. ADest

ADest IncGamers Member

Thanks for the write up. The skill choice adjustments in particular are quite the shake up! But Pinpoint Barrier is a definite improvement over storm armor. I was using storm at first with scramble, but it wasn't helping much. I then started using the one that reduces AP costs because it helped fuel Disintergrate. Forked Lightning is a good alternative. Except it's kind of useless against Elites. Anyway, I tried this set up out, and Pinpoint Barrier really is the star. I'm not getting much use out of Critical Mass or Crystal Shell, though. Crystal Shell is always in CD, and goes down immediately (like in 1 hit) when fighting Elites. I don't know if Critical Mass reduces the CD of Archon any, but I was able to keep it up much longer now. Pretty much permanent. I still died 5 times though, once to frozen/jailer/molten/reflect skelies in the keep (they got lucky), and 4 times to the same pack of Hulking Phase Beasts in the Tower. I think I might drop the tower from my runs for now, though the EXP there seems higher than the bridges or the keep depths. Maybe in 1.07 the Keep Depths and Bridges on MP 1 will be higher EXP wise than Crater MP 0.

As for the items, I plan to get Zunimasa Boots and Inna pants, but both items are around 20 Mil each. (I'm on the America's server) Once I can get those, I can drop the Tyrael's Might, probably in favor of a Tal Rasha, which is also probably going to run around 20-30 Mil... I know the shoulders are really bad, but they're the best I could afford that had Resist and Pick Up Radius. Everyone seems to be using Vile Wards, but I've never seen one for less than 10 million. The only thing I don't quite follow though is the suggestion to replace the Echoing Fury. The Chance to Fear almost never kicks in, but when it does it's actually pretty helpful. Against trash mobs it's a non factor because even with my low dmg, white stuff dies almost instantly. Wizard is ranged, so it's easy to kill them while they run away. It really shines against Elites though, because I can get in a lot of free hits while they're running away. The life steal on it is pretty low, but I think 2.something % is the highest you can get on a 1 hander. Before the Echoing Fury, I was using a Warmonger with 5.something % life steal, but the Warmonger is a two hander, and the difference pet hit between the two was something around 400. I get 600+ back with the Echoing, and around 1k with the Warmonger. Of course with the Warmonger, I can't use my Triumvirate and lose 27k dmg.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  12. NightCraweler

I agree with JME it is a good idea for you to look for a wand with life steal, though I'll add make sure it is black. Forget about the fear you need life steal. Note: Once you get stronger the fear will become annoying. Also, you can actually save money by searching for crit damage instead of a soc. Edit: It is important to remember life steal works best with high weapon damage.

Tal's chest huh? Do you plan on using skills that depend on high aps?IE:Energy Twister. If not the IAS may not be as helpful as the extra defense on Zuni's.

Your crit chance is pretty high (I can't believe I'm actually recommending this) you can sacrifice some for lunis and/or storm crow. Note: I am comfortable @ 49%
    Lacuni vs Inna: Lacuni is more expensive but can give better stats, Inna costs less gold but you lose random properties.

If you plan to continue to use disintegrate(not archon) you will need some apoc, also note with channeled abilities higher aps=higher ap cost. Final Note: Apoc can only appear on class specific items. There may be legendaries that break this rule but I can't think of any.

Edit: Disintegrate(both in and out of archon) get very little out of loh even lok is better, however life steal works best.

Also judging from the numbers you posted before. You should add Witching Hour to your shopping list. Get this after your armor upgrades.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  13. korialstraz

Not sure if your profile has updated yet since the other tips, but it seems what's giving you the most issue is phase beasts. First off, drop glass canon. It makes a big difference. In fact you might want to pick up Blur, the 20% decreased melee damage taken made a big difference for me! If you still have problems, try using force armor over pinpoint barrier. You may loose quite a bit of damage, but don't get too caught up in that number. You'll probably clear full runs faster overall, due to fewer deaths. Also repair bills will go down a lot, which makes it just a little faster to gather up gold.

If I was to change your setup, but keeping your offensive spells (disintegrate and hydra), it'd probably look something like this:

Disintigrate
    Hydra
    Teleport - Fracture (the 2 clones do help)
    Blood Weapon
    Familiar
    Force Armor

Temporal Flux, Blur, Illusionist*/Galvanizing Ward.

*Only use illusionist if it procs when taking big hits, IE when fighting phase beasts for instance. Even against teleporting phase beasts, you can teleport as soon as you get hit, allowing you to regenerate life from items (I noticed you have some life regen), and allowing you to take fewer hits every time they close the distance. I'm pretty sure their teleport skill (and affix) is on cooldowns, while yours are effectively reset each time they hit you.

This setup retains your offensive spells, adds some defensive and much needed life steal, but grants lower damage output.

Overall though I'd probably switch not use disintegrate, but archon instead. That would require some bigger changes to your skill setup though. However if you want, let us know which offensive skills you are interested in using, and we can help build your defensive skills and passives around that. Or you can take a look at which skills I use. Keep in mind I farm with around 80k damage, got 3% life steal from weapon (IIRC), and got about 1000 life regen per second. http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Korialstraz-2312/hero/35256

Keep in mind those are skills from before the new patch, and also the skills don't quite match what I usually farm with. The changes I'll be making to it depends on if I play solo or party.

Party: Switch force armor for storm armor.

Solo: Still switching force armor for storm armor, drop glass canon and pick up temporal flux. However if I find I'm still having issues with phase beasts, I'll switch back to force armor from storm armor, and possibly picking up illusionist over galvanizing ward.
  14. ADest

ADest IncGamers Member

Hey all, thanks again for the help, switching storm armor for energy armor was the first big improvement. Believe it or not, running pubs also helped a lot, as I levelled up to 30 Paragon right away. (I was skeptical when some folks mentioned it earlier in the thread, I forgot monster dmg no longer scales in multiplay.) Now I have legendaries dropping for me all the time. I bought a Tal Rasha helm, Zuni boots, and Vile Ward shoulders for less than 20 mil for all 3 items, so those helped a lot too.

But 1.07 has REALLY helped me out. I replaced Glass Cannon with the new Unstable Anomaly and just don't die on Act 3 runs anymore, and I'm playing on MP 1 now. (up from 0 a few days ago.) I also replaced Hydra with the new buffed Blizzard. But the real improvement is the Archon that can cast Slow Time. Now that Crit Mass lowers the CD on Archon itself, and the Archon Slow Time, I pretty much burn through Phase Beasts, as I pretty much have Archon and Slow Time up at all times. Maybe I'll work in teleport again instead of Blizzard and try MP 2, but for now in MP 1, my Wizard has gone from Phase Beast fodder on MP 0 to nearly unkillable on MP 1. The Slow Time is so potent a defense, I might drop Unstable and put Glass Cannon in again.
  15. korialstraz

Glad to hear you're kicking some phase beast ***! They desserve all the punishment they can get. ;)

Btw if you're farming for items, best stick to MP1, or even MP0 for act 3 farming. The extra MF gained isn't worth the extra life monsters gain. Personally I prefer MP1, even though it might not be the most efficient for my damage output.
  16. psyadam

psyadam IncGamers Member

I like to farm on mp3. It's not that bad with 109k dmg.