Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Can a Pure Poison Necromancer solo Hell?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Shadowjason, Jul 6, 2012. | Replies: 23 | Views: 19495

1. Shadowjason

Shadowjason IncGamers Member

Alright, so can a pure poison necromancer solo hell? im talking abot a poison necro that dosen't use summons. also, are they good for pvp? And if they can, can anyone link a poison necro build? Thanks :)
  2. Tryzx

Tryzx IncGamers Member

3. Shadowjason

you can pvp with that build without max block?
  4. Tryzx

Tryzx IncGamers Member

That's a purely PvE build.
    But as I said if you want to PvP your better bet is to go as a bonemancer,
  5. Shadowjason

ok, i already have a level 75 bonemancer that i use to pvp :D can they solo hell? (bonemancers)
  6. MYK

MYK Diablo: IncGamers Member

Bonemancers are fine. The Necromancer's skills all setup for a big CE chain, and the bone spells are just fine at doing that.

I've ready many, many accounts of bonemancers finishing Hell. The same can't be said for poison necros, at least not with anything but the most premium items available.
  7. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

Poison necros can solo hell just fine. You can use CE to speed up stuff and kill the poison immunes.
  8. Tryzx

Tryzx IncGamers Member

I have both a poison necro and a bonemancer in single player (not twinked) and they both finished hell. So yes it is possible and isn't that hard. You don't even have to use CE (but it's faster).
  9. MYK

I'd love to read more about your untwinked SP poison necromancer. Have any information available?

10. Tryzx

Tryzx IncGamers Member

I've basically used the build I linked up there but with the items I found (Humonculus from Baal Nighmare Oh yeah :p).

It was my first char when I began playing single player after getting tired of multiplayer, so it's like a year or two ago, can't give much more info.
  11. MYK

So, you don't know because 'it's like a year or two ago'. And yet you want people to follow your guide? Ha. Hahahahahaha.

12. Tryzx

Tryzx IncGamers Member

I don't understand where you are going with this. I told you I used basically what was told in the guide, and I solo'ed hell untwinked that way. What do you need more? And it's not like I'm forcing you to read it or whatever..

13. woutje

woutje IncGamers Member

it is possible i defeated baal and now playing at hell am act 3. have poisonmancer. next to poison put 5 point in ce and 5 iron maiden
  14. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

Thread necromancy there, Woutje. And I can't fathom how you'd find 5 points into Iron Maiden useful for a poison necro...
  15. Kretschmer

Kretschmer IncGamers Member

Untwinked poisonmancers are horrible in Hell; everything and their dog has heavy poison resistance. I've tried it; not worth the time.
  16. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

Untwinked anything is a lot more tedious in Hell, but there's nothing especially bad about it for poison necromancers compared to other necromancers. If I had to take an untwinked necromancer through Hell, I'd focus on poison. The other options would be bone, which would avoid most of the resistance problem but require all the synergies just to have damage output, and summons, which would have to hang back and use Corpse Explosion (something poison necromancers can do too, if necessary).
  17. Kretschmer

Poisonmancers require VERY specific gear to excel (+% poison damage & -% enemy poison resist). Without this gear, even maxed Poison Nova synergies and high level Lower Resist are hideously slow against a typical hell Act 4/Act 5 enemy.

Let's take an example:
    Hell Act IV
    +8 all skills (very nice for untwinked; +2 Helm, +1 Ammy, +2 Wand/Head, +1 Armor) It might be possible to shop a +3 PnB/+3 PN wand for a few extra levels, but that won't move the needle).
    +1 PnB Skills (extremely lucky)

We get 3800 damage/2 seconds for 1400 damage/sec
    Level 15 Lower Resist is -60% to poison resist

Hell Oblivion Knights have 75% poison resist and 5600-9000 hit points.
    75%-60% = 15% poison resist
    1400 * 85% = 1190 damage/second
    That's 5-8 seconds for a single Oblivion Knight.

Venom Lords are 9500-15000 hp and 75% resist. so 8-13 seconds per normal mob kill. Bone spear with two synergies is more powerful and faces fewer resists and immunes.

Good luck against packs of Regurgitators; they're immune in hell. Lower resist will break the immunity, but your killing will be unfathomably slow.

Minions/Champs/Bosses receive hit point bonuses and take longer to kill.

These numbers don't really communicate how painful an untwinked poisonmancer is. Mine supplemented PN with CE and revives; the revives killed more quickly in hell. To the point where it was smarter to run amp damage for the merc and revives than bother with lower resist for poison nova.
  18. Erfel

Erfel IncGamers Member

I agree with kretsch... you can do well without shako, or homunculus, enigma and so on... but really, a poisonmancer without deathweb is a crap.

And finding deathweb untwinked is almost impossible
  19. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

I didn't use Death's Web on my twinked poison necro, so I don't know why lacking it for an untwinked character would be so problematic.

Untwinked bone necromancers have a harder time getting FCR (which poison doesn't need to worry about), require way more synergies, can't lower magic resistance, and don't get a melee skill. It really seems like you're still just stating the drawbacks to untwinked characters, but giving one specific example. The only type of necromancer I could think of that would have a particular advantage over a poison necromancer if both were untwinked would be a summon/melee hybrid.

That a poison necro can use Corpse Explosion or Revive where the poison skills are less practical is an advantage, not a disadvantage.
  20. Kretschmer

Bone necros can get FCR many ways: Spirits, Homonculus, Unique Wands, Wizspike, white, HotO, Skins,Que-Hagan's, crafted caster gear, rares, etc.

Poison Necros have a short list of SPECIFIC items that boost their power: Trang's Gloves, Trang's Shield (+2), Bramble, Grief, facets, and Death's Web. These items range in rarity from very rare to astonishingly rare, and you will be terrible without them (hampering MF efforts to gear up). I suppose you could take that 1.13 character on a jillion MF runs as a Fishymancer or Corrupted Televangelist and then reset their skill points into a poisonmancer if you get very lucky, but that's hardly indicative of the latter's viability.

The easiest proof is to make your own untwinked poisonmancer. I've done it; other foolish souls have done it; doing so will quickly resolve this discussion.