Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

But.. Can it live up to the hype?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by digitalforce, May 1, 2012. | Replies: 55 | Views: 4106

1. digitalforce

digitalforce IncGamers Member

But.. Can it live up to the hype?

I've been waiting, watching, drooling, reading, dreaming about the Diablo III release since the announcement that seems like 10 years ago. In a little over two weeks from now, the game will finally be in our hot little hands. My question is, will it even be able to live up to the hype?

I am very surprised the beta is truly the beginning of the game as it seems very wooden, too scripted and not a very impressive first hour or more of such a huge game. Hopefully after the Skeleton King things REALLY pick up. Either way, after so many years of all this build up, can it truly meet our expectations or are they too lofty?

:scratchchin:
  2. ahwolf

ahwolf IncGamers Member

Re: But.. Can it live up to the hype?

It's a blizzard game. I expect the full game to be so immersive, compelling and addictive that you can actually see a dent in the global economy (except for that little spike there.... that’s Blizzard....)
  3. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

Blizzard has said that after the Skeleton King, things do pick up, plot-wise, and I would imagine gameplay-wise too.

The Beta is still very much the 'tutorial' area of the game. I have no doubt that D3's going to be awesome :3.
  4. digitalforce

digitalforce IncGamers Member

I sure hope so.. I mean, it's my own fault but seriously, I have no desire to play even to the Skeleton King on launch day.. I am that sick of it :p
  5. TheReadMenace

TheReadMenace IncGamers Member

Whose expectations exactly? Personally, I'm not hoping for much. I don't believe it will have the same longevity of D2 due to many factors, but I think it will be a fun game that will have a certain flair that most other ARPGs have lacked during the last decade. The controls will be tight, items will have impact, the story will be good yet minimal, and the classes will have some fun elements to them.

All in all, I don't expect to be playing the game for years, so my only expectation is that I'll get my money's worth. But if it has that lasting appeal, I'll be extremely pleased. I've intentionally set the bar low; if the game is truly great, then I'll be pleasantly surprised. If the game is mediocre, however, I won't feel any sense of true disappointment.
  6. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

I'm still going to be excited, and I've killed him probably close to a couple hundred times by now @___@.

I think that the fact that on May 15th what you play is 'real' and not just something which doesn't matter in the end (like the beta) will make the beginning of the game fresh and new again. ;)

7. cozmiccc

cozmiccc IncGamers Member

Can't wait to see SK in Inferno where "You'll never defeat me!" actually means something :p
  8. Supernova

Supernova IncGamers Member

I really do hope this is the case, being a Hardcore player I feel slightly different though..... I will have to play through all the beta content for the 100th+ time, then as soon as I hit lvl 10, I will need to re-roll and do it yet again.... It's gonna be close to 4 hours of gameplay before I really even see any new content...... o_O

@OP: I'm not sure at this point. As the game comes closer and closer my excitement has dwindled alot. In this last month I have become really jaded and more anxious for the release than anything else tbh. I think much of my feelings has to do with the fact that I've been waiting soo long now, and I'm terrified that it won't live up to the hype.

If Diablo 3 doesn't turn out to be the game of the century like I've hoped it would, then what will I do?

I don't know... It's sad really... I've been such a big fan and the past 4 years I have been following this game and chatting on the Battle net forums hahaha.... Wow...

Meh, Oh well, Max payne 3 comes out the same day, and GW2 comes out later this year. I'll defenitly have somewhat of a safety net to fall back on if this game is a total failure. But from playing the beta these past 5 months or so, I *highly* doubt it.

9. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

Aw, that's unfortunate, Supernova :p.

But don't worry, even if fighting your way to the Skeleton King isn't interesting anymore for you, I'm sure that the moment you beat him and advance to the next area, it's going to hit you: "oh my goodness - all this stuff is NEW". And then everything will be full of excitement again :D.

I don't think you need to worry about D3 being a failure :p.
  10. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

The last time I was as hyped for something, was as a little kid before christmas when I knew there would be Zelda: OoT for me underneath the tree.
  11. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

I hype myself up for stuff I'm really into all the time....but they are few and far between :p.

Last time I was really excited for something was Korra's premiere :3. But before that...maybe SC2? There aren't many games whose development I follow from start to finish, but D3 is one of them.
  12. Urzuxo

Urzuxo IncGamers Member

Interview with Jay Wilson:

"The real game starts at nightmare difficulty?"
    "Yes."
  13. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

Some people are really excited about rushing to the later difficulties.

But for me, I'm looking extremely forward to just taking my time and enjoying Normal on my first playthrough. I'm really into the lore and the universe, and the buildup to D3's story is one of the exciting things for me. On Normal difficulty, I can focus on the story and 'feeling' like a really powerful hero. I feel like in many ways, Normal is the 'true' experience.

In the later difficulties, I'll need to be 'gaming the game' a lot more in order to survive, if you know what I mean :p. The immersion isn't quite the same. Sorta like how you have to lure away those Minions of Destruction in Act V of D2 away one by one because you can't take them all at once. It kinda breaks the immersion for me :p.
  14. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

It depends on what hype you are buying into. Some people are saying this game will last them 10 years. That’s crazy to me, I figure I will get a good year out of it before taking a break. If I stop playing after 4 months then it did not live up to my hype but was still a good game. not living up to the hype does not mean it was bad, it just means you expected far too much from a 60 dollar product
  15. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

Yeah, I'm not gonna lie, as excited as I am for D3, I don't think it's going to last me 10 years....D2 certainly did not :p.

That doesn't mean I can't be incredibly excited for what it is, though :). If I play for even a year, that's money well spent. Odds are, I'll be playing for longer, though. Especially once the inevitable expansion rolls in.

Heck, I like to think of that first, slow singleplayer playthrough as a real experience. When you consider the price of a movie ticket, even a 20+ hour-long playthrough of Normal (and maybe a couple more to relive some story elements) is worth the price, in its own way.
  16. Supernova

Supernova IncGamers Member

Yeah I'm going to be playing the same way as you zoot, more than likely. I will be taking my first trip through Normal pretty slow, looking at the sites, and most likely zooming in *a lot*. I love the Diablo lore, and I've read all the books. I'm curious to the function of the Black Soulstone, and I can't wait see how it plays out.
  17. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

Book of Cain spoilers:

Zoltun Kulle created the Black Soulstone to harvest the essences of Angels and Demons. It was Kulle who suggested that a human could be used as a surrogate soulstone. The man had a really good understanding of how soulstones worked, which allowed him to create the Black Soulstone.

The original soulstones were created by Tyrael, using pieces of the Worldstone. Now that the Worldstone is gone, Leah probably figures that acquiring the Black Soulstone is the only way she can kill Azmodan and Belial.
  18. Eeryck

Eeryck IncGamers Member

In many ways I think D3 has had quite a bit of anti-hype. It has suffered quite a bit of abuse by all the nay-sayers. In light of this question, I now think that is a good thing. Due to the vast quantity of "This is not D2.5 by others" my expectations are quite low.

So I think that D3 will be nothing short of amazing for me.
  19. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

worth the price and worth the hype are 2 very different things. worth the price? easily. worth the hype? i feel it will. the hype i put on it is, this will be the best ARPG to date. if it does that (i am sure it will) then the hype challenge was met
  20. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

Ah true - the two are indeed different. I do, however, also believe that D3 will definitely meet the hype challenge :p. Naysayers be darned!