Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Bush authorized NSA to spy on Americans -- seditious Quakers walk amongst us??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by llad12, Dec 16, 2005. | Replies: 276 | Views: 12317

1. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

Bush authorized NSA to spy on Americans -- seditious Quakers walk amongst us??

Washington Post

So what you say?

Read on:

So .. said surveillance may be unlawful or even unconstitutional.

Well, no doubt these are suspected terrorists ... right?

MSNBC

Pacifist Quakers??

Better check your phones, people. Big Brother may be watching.
  2. Mana Solitaire

Mana Solitaire IncGamers Member

This is indeed illegal. I remember reading about such practices a couple of years ago. It's unconstitutional and pretty crappy but not exactly new, just the practical aspects have changed:
    It used to be that America and England would each spy on the citizenry of the other and then share the information to get around these laws. So MI5 and MI6 would keep an eye on you yanks and send the info back to the NSA, who in turn were snooping around in the UK and sharing their info with our government.

In this way neither country is actually spying on its' own citizens. Clever, eh?

I'm also sure I remember hearing about those Quakers on the news. It's absurd...
  3. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Nice story. Too bad it's full of lies and conflicts of intrest.

1. Pres. Bush didn't do it secretly. Sen. Rockerfeller in particular was informed. As well as the secret court that deals with terrorism. This was done openly. Not that facts matter.

2. The author is releasing a book in 2 weeks about this very subject. Naturally he's going to release an article that supports his book.

3. It's the New York Times. Anybody else remember Jason Blair?

If this was so unconstitutional, why did Sen. Rockerfeller allow it? Why did the courts allow it to go forward? Why didn't anybody blow the whiste? You cannot expect anybody to believe that if Pres. Bush did something illegal that somebody like Sen. Rockerfeller wouldn't have gleefully blown Pres. Bush out of the water.

So what is winds up being is just another book by just another Bush-hater. He'll make some money (which I fully support) and do harm to national security (which he should be shot for).
  4. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Department of Redundancy Department? Quakers are pacifist by definition.

First of all, it's Rockefeller. You can't even spell the names of people you're told to hate. Not that the facts matter.

Secondly, you're wrong as usual; or at the very least misguided and misinformed. You may be referring to the Bolton nomination where Rockefeller claimed that Bolton may have mishandled classified data from the NSA. Not that the facts matter.

Lastly, done openly in the secret court? Does that make any sense? Even to you? I'm well aware the government has a secret court to deal with national security matters, but here's the thing: it's secret. Nothing there is done in the open. Not that the facts matter.

Would you like to buy my rock, Smeg? It gives +5 to specious reasoning. Not that you need any help, but I think you could do a better job missing the point completely.
  5. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

That is until you threaten one of them. Then he ties you into unusual positions and get hauled off to the cops.

Ever heard of working and posting? It's pathetic and expected of you to comment on spelling. Unlike you, I don't have a bug up my butt about getting the names of scumbags right. So for your benefit I shall only refer to him as Sen. Blockhead.

What does Bolton have to do with anything? Sen. Blockhead is one of the people that has to be informed about intelligence matters. As for what you're trying to say, it'll help if you don't muffle yourself by having your head up your arse.

Amazing. What utter blindness. Has it ever occured to you that that court has congressional oversight? Senators get to read the proceedings. Which makes it open. And if anything was done illegally you should be able to comprehend that the Democrats would make political hay with it. I say should because you do work for a liberal college.

I could miss the point if I wanted too. Good thing I have you to do that for me. Btw, how miserable are you going to be when this is also proven to be a load of manure?
  6. shleefin

shleefin IncGamers Member

of course this is illegal and makes me vomit, however, because of people like Evil Conservative Inc, public outcry will be minimal (they are the majority now). i also heard the ACLU is having funding problems so good luck to them...

basically i think bush is gonna get away with this one, like he's gotten away with everything else.
  7. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

Quakers, by definition, are a Protestant Christian sect which emphasizes the spiritual aspect of Christian faith and experience. Although their beliefs include pacifism and the rejection of sworn oaths, not everyone on this board is necessarily acquainted with their sect ... hence the use of my adjective for clarification.

Thanks for the memories anyway Professor ... ;)

Update:

MSNBC

Yes sirrie Smeggy, it is so straightforward and upfront that Republicans have immediately condemned the actions and are calling for hearings.

PS: Whacking on the NYT Smeg? I would imagine that you approved of the paper when Judy Miller was spitting out her WMD reports that were used as propaganda by Cheney et. al. :p

By no means do I exonerate the NYT for withholding this information for over a year. They should have to answer to Congress for their deeds.
  8. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

I dont remember a guy in 2003 being arrested and convicted for plotting to blow up the Brooklyn Bridge. Could look into it but it sounds like something that would strike my memory, a bit.
  9. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Here in Australia the local Tolkien fanclub used to be listed by the Australian Secret Police as an "organisation of interest". I think it was because they were called "the Fellowship of Middle Earth". Which they presumably had confused with the Middle East. I bet after 9/11 all those references to the "Two Towers" set off some red flags, too.

That's so ****ing funny! By the way, what's the difference between MI5 and MI6? What does MI stand for? And what are MI1-4?

You're right, Senators overseeing a secret court would never let anything unconstitutional happen.
  10. Mana Solitaire

Mana Solitaire IncGamers Member

MI5 is internal security and does mainland policing, MI6 is the Secret Intelligence Service and does things like overseas assassinations. MI stands for Military Intelligence and the four preceeding MI's were all disbanded after WWII.

This makes me sound like a military geek. I'm really not. :/
  11. Daethwalker

Daethwalker IncGamers Member

Though I don't like it, if the Prez actually signed off on it, then it's probably legal. That doesn't mean it's the right thing to do ... just legal.
  12. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I nominate Daethwalker to the Supreme Court!
  13. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

I thought they've been spying on us for years. I can't say I like it, can't say i support it, but i thought they were already doing it. it especially irritates me since I have done nothing wrong, am clearly a patriot, but i'm sure there's a file on me somewhere. <sigh> Well, at least it's prolly a thin file...not much about me worth knowing.
  14. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

Hmm, I seem to remember someone else saying something like that ...

Tricky Dick
  15. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Certainly. But that's your excuse everytime you *** up. Some of us can carry out multiple tasks simultaneously. Heck, we can even spell names correctly or at least look them up. Aren't you concerned with 'facts'?

What does Rockefeller have to do with anything? You brought him up in the first place to discredit the allegation but never provided anything other than the Word of Smeg (TM). I wondered why seeing as how he's irrelevant to the discussion. But yeah, head up the ***. Good comeback. You're still wrong.

And Senators are smart enough not to jeopardize ongoing investigations by coming out with information, just like Bush said, which doesn't make it open. Why do you hate America and freedom?

You should stop saying. You're wrong again.
  16. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Not that facts matter.

Now to wait for Jmervyn to come in here and say

(a) Everything Bush says is the way to go
    (b) Not that I'm a Bush supporter, nossir not me.
  17. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

I'm going to dismatle your argument based on a misspelling
  18. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

That or facts that don't matter.

Looks like those pacifist Quakers are indeed terrorists. Probably because they believe in that wacky book with all the smiting. I always suspected those religious types of hating America with their message of peace and love.
  19. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

I bet Rockefeller often wishes his last name actually were Rockerfeller.
  20. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Or Rockapella!