Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Building new computers and Blizzard's recommended requirements

Discussion in 'Tech Support for Diablo 3, Battle.Net & Systems' started by paulb104, Aug 7, 2013. | Replies: 7 | Views: 4555

1. paulb104

paulb104 IncGamers Member

Blizzard's recommended specs say "Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz". I cannot seem to find this cpu from current system builders. What I'm finding is this: Intel cpu's: i7-3770K 3.50 GHz, i7-3770 3.40 GHz, i5-3570K 3.40 GHz, i5-3570 3.40 GHz, i5-3470 3.20 GHz, i3-3220 3.30 GHz. Where does the Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz sit in relation to these other cpu's? Same for the video cards. The recommended specs lists sixteen GeForce GTX cards, with the highest being 590, but I'm seeing models like 650, 680, 770 780. Suggestions for building new windows pc's that'll run D3 awesomely? Any help would be most appreciated :) Thanks!!!!
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  2. paulb104

Also, I'm building a new pc because my current old pc doesn't run D3 very well. I'm still running Vista (I've never had a problem with Vista). cannot seem to find an article explaining the differences between 7 and 8, from a gamers perspective...
  3. Armor_Biff

Armor_Biff IncGamers Member

Those Intel CPUs you listed, are all better (and a newer generation) than the "Intel Core 2 Duo". Also, a GTX 590 has around the same performance as a 680 , 770 and 780. The 650 is slower.
  4. paulb104

Thanks for the reply!!! I think the confusion is that Blizzard's Supported - High Performance list of video cards doesn't list anything higher than a GeForce 590 and their recommended is a GeForce 260 (at the bottom of the list). So, to be clear, any NVIDIA GeForce GTX over 590 would be ok? The same goes for the cpu? Regarding cpu's... is this chart acceptable for comparisons? http://www.visioncomputers.com/cpu_Compare.html
  5. Concupisco Quaestus

Concupisco Quaestus IncGamers Member

Pretty much any PC you can buy "off-the-shelf" will be able to play D3 fine, the more you spend the more graphic options you can turn on but that's pretty much the only difference, the only thing I would avoid are the low power systems like the AMD E-series but even the built video chip on Intel CPU's is enough to play D3, so yeah, pretty much any modern video card is going to work fine, just be sure you are buying something modern, a 60$ video card isn't modern, it's the 200$ card from 2 years ago, which is where things get a little tricky.

As a general rule of thumb for an average gamer I'd say spend about 200$ on your video card, any more and you are paying a premium for minor gains any less and you're getting into the area of "last years models", think of it like this, spending 200$ on a modern video card is like spending 1billion on a weapon, after you get to that point, spending 2 billion on a weapon doesn't even get you a 10% gain in performance, same idea with video cards, going from onboard video to a 200$ video card you will "notice it", going from a 200$ video card to a 500$ video card, not so much... unless you use synthetic benchmarks to determine the size of your penis, in which case you will want the 1500$ extreme edition CPU with an 800$ video card.

Get an Intel I5 with a 200$ video card and you will be golden, I7 is "better" on the whole but in gaming you won't really notice it, I7's real strength is in things like transposing, encoding, compression and encryption, outside of those the hyperthreading and such really isn't all that helpful to standard computer use. "Compatibility" wise NVidia graphics cards tends to have a lot less issues with things than ATI does and Intel CPU's tend to be more reliable as well, I've gotten a number of AMD chips that can't Prime95 properly out of the box, never had that with Intel so, dunno, I'm not loyal to either brand but my suggestion for someone with little knowledge or interest in "fixing" things should just stick with Nvidia/Intel.
  6. Clavdivs

Clavdivs IncGamers Member

The God states that everything starting with 'i-' (CPU Intel) or containing 'FX' (CPU AMD) is enough for D3 - game is being 'light' to CPU (somewhat unlikely to SC2 - which relies to CPU more). I5 is an overkill, but is reasonably future-proof, mortals who can afford it can expect it to last for a good while - otherwise either I3 or FX4/6 will do...

GPU related - The God states that mid-range graphics are more than enough - typically what is offered for 120-200 gold - everything run D3 (and SC2) fine - graphic engine is not particularly picky.

Thinking about it, CPU's are in exactly the same price range 120-200 gold as the GPU, with an exception that spending more than 200 is a complete waste of money, and investing in a GPU is not - graphic intensive games on ultimate detail may have use of it, or will last longer. It is very hard to recommend anything over 350 to even the most hard-core gamer, except if he wants to run multiple displays.

If divine being would be buying anything, it would likely be AMD7850 or GeForce 650Ti-Boost (both ~150, both DDR5) and a SSD >=90-100gb (tremendous speed improvement!) and regular HDD for data, but The God has modest requirements when the gaming is in question. Yes, and mentioned cheapest i5 which is not energy efficient (see the clock in GHz) - divine being doesn't mind CPU spending same power as a lightbulb
  7. paulb104

Thanks for all the tips. I'd be a fool to build a new computer *just* for D3. I'm definitely looking to the future. I've decided on a fourth gen haswell i5, whatever sale I can find will decide which one.

A few things...

It's GDDR5. DDR4 is expected to be released next year, so DDR5 isn't expected until 2017 or so.

Prices where you're shopping is good! According to pcpartpicker, average 7850 is $176, 650ti Boost is $162. Yesterday Newegg had on a 7950, a sale, an instant rebate, and a mail in rebate, so I got a $280 MSI 7950 for $159.

This I don't understand. All the i5's and i7's use 84w, except the S series which uses 65w. So.... ?
  8. Clavdivs

Clavdivs IncGamers Member

The God shops in gold pieces! And yes, prices are 150g, where divine being buys... True, a typo in divine post is found, it's GDDR5 indeed, not to be confused with DDR3 versions - to be clear, The God insists on GDDR5, and NOT DDR3 versions...

On TDP - lower wattage declared just limits high loads turbo, and under normal usage TDP is rarely reached - The God advised against -S series...