Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[Build] Build Idea

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by kolpo, Oct 5, 2013. | Replies: 6 | Views: 3723

1. kolpo

kolpo IncGamers Member

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#gbYXhP!cbg!ZcZaca

Shock Pulse Living Lightning: Is used to generate arcane power with prodigy and it generates the most Crit to lower the cool downs of slow time, frost nova, diamond skin and explosive blast. Constantly press down the right mouse button when enemies are near, don't release it to use other abilities but use them while you keep it down so you don't lose a single cast.

Slow Time Time Warp: Used to increase damage(especially meteor damage) by 20% and to use against enemies that best can't be frost tanked, like monsters that kill you with 1 melee hit. Also used so we don't need to place an ability that is constantly used on left mouse click, this works badly in my experience.

Frost Nova Cold Snap: To keep enemies perm frozen or at least as much as we can, Cold Snap used for reduced cooldown, might not be best rune for people with very high crit chance.

Diamond Skin Crystal Shell: Extra survivability, rune used that gives most extra life

Explosive Blast Chain reaction:
    DPS and CM triggering

Meteor Molten Impact: The main DPS spell, the flashy skill this build is about. A constant barrage of by slow time enhanced meteors on frozen enemies is what this build is about.

Prodigy: Gives use the need arcane power for a constant meteor barrage.

Evocation: Reduced cooldowns is very useful in this cooldown heavy build, might not be need for people with very high crit chance*attacks/second.

Critical Mass: Needed to constantly use abilities with a cooldown like frost nova

gear: enough crit to let it work(The needed crit rate depends on attack speed), maybe a little arcane power on crit and enough Ehp.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  2. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

Living lightning isn't as good for creating procs. Wicked wind is still the best.

I've tried pretty much this exact build and never had any success with it. And I guess by that I mostly mean that it was never as successful as a traditional CM build.

I also don't think it'll work well if you can't take a melee hit.

I do love the time bubble though, one of my favorite skills for sure.

3. Fortuan

Fortuan IncGamers Member

not to rain on anyone's parade isn't CM wizard just BORING? I don't play archon either I do my own arcane meteor hydra kiting build MP5 farming now. It just doesn't seem any fun to just spam freeze and eek down enemy hp. Archon was fun but it seemed I lost my kite ability rooting and beaming (did kill a lot of things though). I'm eagerly looking forward to the xpac maybe we'll see some more diversity. maybe.

4. kestegs

I always found CM to be very fun and challenging outside of Uber fights. I played Archon for about 2 runs before getting bored of it. If you don't pay attention with cm you will die very quickly.

I am also looking forward to better wizard build diversity though.

5. kolpo

kolpo IncGamers Member

Yes what I really would want is a wizard build that feels more like the sorcerer of DII, just using big flashy spells and not having to deal with stuff like CM proc rates or Archon uptime. In that way feels the witch doctor actually more "wizardy" then the wizard himself. Acid rain, zombie bears and cloud of bats are big flashy spells that are totally viable to base a build around.

Just to illustrate: Of the top 500 WD uses 65% firebats, 49% Zombie Charger 18% Acid Cloud: The big flash spells are totally viable!

Of the top 500 wizards uses 1% meteor, 1.2% arcane orb and 7.8% blizzard
    http://www.diabloprogress.com/top_skills/stat_heroscore_500

6. kestegs

Yes, I totally agree with you. Sorc was always my favorite in D2 and the wizard really plays nothing like the Sorc. :(

7. tougeznut

tougeznut IncGamers Member

First off, I completely agree that the wizard feels nothing like the sorc from D2. I miss using skills that looked great: frozen orb, Blizzard, charged bolts, nova, etc... and all the skills that have the same kind of flair aren't really usable, or require a lot of gimmicky tricks (cm...) to work right. Or don't stack appropriately (blizzard).

That said, I've spend a lot of time, and a LOT of gold trying just about every variant of CM builds. Nothing really comes close to the wicked wind, explosive blast chain reaction combo like Kegstegs kind of mentioned. Your idea for a skill set works well if you're working with a really restrained budget though. The only problem with using meteor, EB, and living lightning together is that they all interrupt each others animations. Meaning that casting meteor keeps EB from being used, and same with living lightning. So you basically have to alternate between each skill carefully while often missing casts because some animation is still going off. The slow time is a fun twist to slow things down even more though.

That's why EB, and WW are the best two damage dealers for CM builds. You don't ever have to stop casting them, and with a high enough attack speed you can go nuts with EB.

sent from my GalaxySIII